Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/3/2014 10:26:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, its just metal, so you can grind, sand, polish it to get it up to your satisfaction...

When you say "antique," do you mean battlefield pick up (BFU) style,  or like, case-hardened?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:59:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Strategic Scotchbrite
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#5]
and let some vinegar sit on it for patina.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:26:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#7]
It is what I would do, Use mustard its common with knife makers/customizers, lots of vinegar and its thick so you can put it wherever you want. Pics in link.
MUSTARD!?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Mustard/vinegar is interesting.  

When I did my reweld I just hit the new receiver section with some cold blue.. enough to get it darker than the original bluing.  Then I hit it lightly with a green scotchbrite pad to wear it some to match the original finish.  Came out pretty good.  

original post about it

Pic of final product..
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Great looking re-weld. Matt did mine as well. Thanks for the tip on the cold blue paste. I just ordered some and already got the shipped notice. I'll get some before and after pics to post.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mustard/vinegar is interesting.  

When I did my reweld I just hit the new receiver section with some cold blue.. enough to get it darker than the original bluing.  Then I hit it lightly with a green scotchbrite pad to wear it some to match the original finish.  Came out pretty good.  

original post about it

Pic of final product..
http://i50.tinypic.com/33ua3b8.jpg

Great looking re-weld. Matt did mine as well. Thanks for the tip on the cold blue paste. I just ordered some and already got the shipped notice. I'll get some before and after pics to post.

After I welded mine I rattle canned it. Then scotch brite, turned out ok... Next one I think I will try the cold blue.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:11:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd start from scratch - that is, park the whole receiver, then 400# sand the high spots.  I have a vibration tumbler that works very well for anything 12" or shorter.  But for most of my distressing, I get the best match from various parts by putting a fresh finish on the whole thing and then strategically wearing it.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top