Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/15/2013 3:02:58 PM EDT
I am new to the site, so please forgive me if I missed this subject in another post, but I am looking into building a Bulgarian AK-74 from a flat. My direct question would be as follows: Can you use the standard 555th jig dimensions to make a bending jig that will work for an AK-74 receiver? I am a machinist apprentice, so I have the ability to make this jig, and if the 555th dimensions need to be a bit different for a 74 then all I would need is a different print with different dimension. On a side note, I have heard of guys using a standard AK 47 Tapco flat to make an AK 74, however I will be using an AKBuilder AK 74 flat for a fixed stock. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, -Ryan
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The difference between an AKM receiver and a '74 receiver is the magwell opening and ejector (if it's already installed). I wouldn't use an AKM receiver to build a '74 but you could open the magwell on a '74 receiver to fit AKM mags.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I am going to be using an AK-74 flat to start, I just need to know if I can use the same bending jig to bend it on the shop press. Thanks, -Ryan
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
You can bend them on the same jig and die.

Here's the AK Builder tool: http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=186
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright, cool that answers my question. I guess the next step is acquiring the materials necessary to machine the jig and spending some time hanging out after work. Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated, -Ryan
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top