Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/28/2013 5:53:42 PM EDT
I don't suppose this would be a possibility?
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Where you at in Tx?

Link Posted: 3/28/2013 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried to get one organized last fall and nothing came of it.  Couldn't find a place locally that didn't have a seizure at the sound of guns being built.  If one is organized within a reasonable distance I would be down to attend, and even have a few builds I am wrapping up in the next month or less hopefully.  I have most of the building tools required except heat treating equipment, flat bender, spot welder, or any blast or coating equipment.  I am working on the last several items though.  I will hopefully have a spot welder made within the next month or two as well as a blasting cabinet and maybe an oven for curing painted parts.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I live near Houston in Brazoria county.  I have 2 Bulgarian milled kits 7.62x39 all matching numbers, that I am looking at assembling on 2 stamped Polish 80% receivers.  I have purchased 2 of the Kvar Bulgarian classic barrels that are supposed to work with the milled kits by using Russian or Egyptian front trunnions ( I purchased 1 Egyptian front trunnion so far and 1 Bulgarian ak74 rear trunnion).  I have one set of rivets.  I need to have the receivers tempered, which I shall have a professional do.  Then I personally will drill holes in the receivers to bring to the 100% and then, God willing, assemble.

It's the drilling/assembling that get me to thinking that experienced hands may come in handy.  The gas ports are not drilled in the barrels either.

I have a 3/8" drill press, 12 ton press, flux core wire welder, most of the tools, and a big yard.  I don't have the rivet crusher.

Prior to that idiot shooting up the school, it would have been a bit cheaper to purchase the Bulgarian AK47s already assembled.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Sticky the post would be great.  I think that a lot of people read about assembling/building however they are too nervous to ask for assistance.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:00:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mustangduckk] [#6]
Well I was hoping you were in NE Texas.

I'm in Tulsa, OK, and I offer an open invitation to anyone looking for AK building help within a reasonable drive. I'm down in Paris, Tx quite often.

I have all the tools, minus receiver building. I've always just bought those from NDS.

ETA:   PM me, do not use email function!
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#7]
OP--Might also try in your Home Town forums. I posted in mine back in Feb just to see if anyone local was still building AKs as I had all the parts but never got around to getting it finished. We have now had 2 build parties (just did one yesterday) with plans for #3. I was able to finish one of my rifles and have the 2nd one very close--just a couple steps left. You might be surprised who in your local area is/has been doing similar. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 4/1/2013 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Mustang I sent you a pm.
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone in Eastern NC (near Wilmington) that can help with a build?
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I am in the Houston area (Humble) and would want to hook up for a group build, I know I am new to the AK so the more help the better!
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Im also looking to get together for a build, im located in hampton roads Virginia. I have a post on vaguntrader.com about a group AK build as well. contact me if interested!
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Open invitation to anyone in/near/around Philadelphia, Pa to contact me about getting together to work on this. I'd like to start from a flat but only if I can find someone with some experience.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I am in the DFW area and would love to join a build party... I am in the process of getting my 922r parts and this is all new to me so a rookie here.

Thank you,

Mike
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone in Western Washington area that is going to have a build party.  I am a noob and looking into building an AK.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm interested in getting in on a group build in the Atlanta area.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in Houston, finally got my barrel and rivets, just missing my fixed stock trunion (was absent from parts kit).

Any distance within reason works for me, I don't have any tools, but I do have beer.

If anyone nearby is getting one organized, let me know

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#17]
DFW here also.  All my tools are gone and I haven't built anything in a while.  I'm working on some home made jigs but it sure would be nice to get together with some other guys to do this.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:07:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I would love to attend a build party one day.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#19]
i dont have a kit but would love to come help yall out.  im in houston area.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm in Austin. I have a press that can be used and the bolt cutter rivet crushing tool, but that's it. I mostly just convert SAIGAS, but will be more than happy to bring what I do have to a build party.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I too am in Houston and have an AMD 65 kit with a NoDak receiver. I bought rivets from AK Builder. Mostly I'm looking for someone to help me press out the old rivets from the trunnions, drill the front trunnion holes in the receiver, and press in the new rivets. I don't mind driving a ways. A couple of hours is not out of the question. My kit came with a new barrel already pinned to the trunnion so that will need to come off and back on for the rivets to go in. If this build goes OK, I may consider investing in some of the tools. Looks like it's just cheaper for me to buy the receiver already made since I'm not going into the business of making AK's. I'll have this receiver parkerized before the build unless someone can help me do that too. my parts kit has a beautiful parkerizing job.

Build party Houston anyone?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 3:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AaronFromTexas] [#22]
I am in San Antonio. I don't have an AK, but have been interested in these builds... I don't have any specialized tools, but I have several metal working tools, grinders, welder, etc. along with your standard assortment of mechanic's tools. I mostly work on motorcycles... I can host a get-together in my garage for those between Houston and Austin, if those with tools are willing to transport 'em...
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#23]
If this thread is still alive and people around the DFW area are looking to do something like this, I'd jump at the chance to get in on it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I hosted a party in my yard last August when it was still legal in MD. We had combined 8 hydraulic presses, 12 drill presses.2 mig welders ,2 torch sets for heat treating, several sandblasters, a park tank and every jig known to man. We all brought something It was amazing. hundreds of flats got bent and welded and quite a few rifles came to life. If you live in America you can still do this. Post up that you are willing to do it, put together a list of needed equipment and get volunteers to beg/borrow everything needed. The 50 or so that came made it a production line to remember. Having a camera,printer and notary on hand can also help to cover all legal bases. As they say in West by God Virginia  "Don't say anything just do it".
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone still wanting a build party in Houston Texas?

ISO knowledgeable person to help build a Polish AKM.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I interested in assembling my own AK.  Anyone in Austin getting together for a build party?  I'd like to see what I'm getting myself into.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Looking for anyone in the Tucson, AZ area to build some AK's with...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey, i am in northern San Antonio.

Just got all the parts for a Hungarian under folder ( waiting on NODAKSPUD for the receiver).

Always up to meet people, have put lots of ARs together.

I do need someone to help me with the rivets and head space,,,, i have a mig welder also.

Kevin
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I just ordered a kit to put together a Polish underfolder.  I've done ARs and 1911s, but this will be my first AK.  Anyone near Columbus MS (Tupelo, Meridian, Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, etc) interested in a build party?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:40:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15Texan] [#30]
For those in the DFW area makerspace may be a good place to meet.  I believe you can reserve the shop and rent out for a day.  http://dallasmakerspace.org/  The cost is $50 per month to be a member.  As a member you can schedule an event to reserve the shop.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone know of any build parties or where to find AK build parties in the Northern VA area?  I went to one from the hometown forum and it was a good time, but definitely more AR slant, so we never did get all the tools needed to do AK builds.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm in North Dallas - I'd be interested in participating in a build session(s) within a reasonable driving distance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:15:44 PM EDT
[#33]
im in Virginia to and interested in a ak build party
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone in the Kansas City area up for a build party?  I've got a few tools needed, but not all.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TahoeLT:
Anyone in the Kansas City area up for a build party?  I've got a few tools needed, but not all.
View Quote

I am interested in doing a couple of builds.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Looking for a build party to join in the Pittsburgh, Pa area. Let me know
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm just getting going with my first try at building and could use someone's advice and eye.
In SW Washington.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Guess the build parties died with cheap kits? Would love a get together with experienced guys to build my bulgy one day without screwing it up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#39]
short notice but tomorrow in southern MD there's a gathering of like-minded folks.  pre-FSA receivers or pistols/stamped SBRs only, of course.  gotta love this stupid fucking state.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone in the DFW area have builders tools?
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By j97531:
Anyone in the DFW area have builders tools?
View Quote
Bump for anyone willing to help a newbie.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Reviving this thread to see if the interest is still there for group builds. Going to start collecting parts for Romy Underfolder. Thinking this might be the best route while we sit out the hopefully temp dearth of complete guns.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 7:04:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: t44e6] [#43]
I would love to find someone in NH/Vermont that wants to build and has built before. I have a couple parts kits and receivers but would love another set of eyes and hands. Have a press and most of the AK builder tools.

Anyone? Hellooooooo......
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone in Arkansas? I'm itching for knowledge.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 11:20:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RogerBall] [#45]
Originally Posted By t44e6:
I would love to find someone in NH/Vermont that wants to build and has built before. I have a couple parts kits and receivers but would love another set of eyes and hands. Have a press and most of the AK builder tools.

Anyone? Hellooooooo......
View Quote

@t44e6  I've done a couple 80% recievers before.  Now I want to buy a 6 ton press and really start with the whole process.

I'm in Cheshire county (by Keene) maybe we could help each other out.

ETA i don't have anything right now.  but i am working on the "poor man's bending jig". should be done this week.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#46]
@RogerBall I have a 20 ton press you are welcome to use.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#47]
im sent
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top