Originally Posted By poorman:
Are you going to heat treat the receiver or just the pin holes and ejector?
I got impatient and riveted the front trunnion in already so it's just gonna be the upper and lower rails and the FCG holes that get treated. In my defense the rivets look great!
Originally Posted By boostedAK:
In my opinion, YES. I test all my builds this way. Just make sure the hammer is not installed and all is well lubed. I "tweak" the receiver as needed to make the bolt carrier "free-fall" in both directions.
I have never had to thin/file the rails as regards to thickness. I have had to "adjust" receiver width a couple of times.
If the receiver rails seem to be too "thick" for the carrier slots, then I would carefully massage those slots to provide just enough clearance to slide free. Always modify the "cheap" part first.
As mentioned I have the front trunnion in already and I slid the rear trunnion in to test it. The center support is not installed so that may spread her cheeks a bit and makes it slide better.
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
Bear in mind that if the carrier isn't moving freely it could just be that your front and rear trunnions aren't installed. Once they are, it should definitely move freely by tilting it back and forth.
Once I get it back (hopefully tomorrow) I will install the center support and see how she runs.
My feeble mind was telling me it should be loosey goosey but I wanted to check with those that have been there done that.
On a side note, Oxpho-Blue stuff is the cat's ass!
The Polish receiver will need to have the living shit sanded out of it to get the machine styrations off the sides. I don't want the thing to look TOO purty but have that previously loved look to it!
I have to drill the FCG holes and I am scared shitless I'm gonna screw it up. First build so I didn't want to have to bend one and NoDak was out so I went 80% and had to do the holes.
Trunnion holes were no sweat. Rear trunnion holes and underfolder holes were a bit harder but I bo-hunked em in there close enough for Gub'ment work.
Got the screw kit for the trigger housing so that won't be hard.
I need the right drill bits and reamers yet so I won't be doing them this weekend but I hope to have the center support and surface prep on the receiver done at least.