Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2010 6:33:04 AM EDT
I have the proper drill bit from AK-Builder. I have a Romanian with a virgin barrel installed, and I believe the gas port drill bit is designed to drill through the gas port assembly opening at an angle into the barrel. Does anyone know if this hole has to be at an angle, or, can I mark the spot and drill at a 90 degree angle (straight down)?

I am also "thinking" of making a mark on the spot, push back the gas cylinder, use a punch to start the drill and drill a "starter" hole slightly into the barrel. Then replace the gas block assembly to the original position, and complete drilling through the holes in the gas port assembly at an angle. The pre-drilling is to give the angled drill bit a place to "bite into". Does the plan sound OK to anyone that has done it?

I have read where it is smart to "push" a bullet down to the site of the gas port hole to help eliminate the chance of "spurs" inside the barrel when the drill goes though. I am thinking about using a M1 Carbine bullet since is slightly less in diameter that the 7.62x39 bullet. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You can either do it at a 90 degree angle or better yet using the gas block at an angle (if you have the longer bit why not drill it at an angle?).  I did my pistol build by marking it then removing the gas block and drilling the hole at a 90 degree angle.  I did have to open up the hole a little to improve reliability.  Whatever little burrs you get aren't too bad, they can be removed by running something like a bore snake through and after the first couple of shots they are gone.  I used a cleaning rod as a stop inside the barrel to keep from accidently hitting the other side of the barrel.  I hope this helps, you'll find it easy enough.  Just don't try to force a bullet down the barrel, I think you'll find it quite difficult.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Many thanks

"Just don't try to force a bullet down the barrel, I think you'll find it quite difficult. "..

It is a new barrel and I know driving a bullet down will not be easy. That is why I was going to use something like 7.62X51 or M1 carbine bullet since they are slightly less dismeter than the 7.62X39 (.308 vs .311 I believe). Or, I will try to file down the diameter of the bullet so it goes down easier. I like your idea of a cleaning rod, for more than burrs; I fear the "crapola––I DRILL TWO FAR!!!" which I would not put past me.

I believe it was in the Caddy Shack movie ... "now hit tap the ball, just give it a tiny tap..." and if you saw the movie you know what I mean.

Many thanks for your reply.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I believe it was in the Caddy Shack movie ... "now hit tap the ball, just give it a tiny tap..." and if you saw the movie you know what I mean.

That was from "Happy Gilmore..."

"It's all in the hips..."

Link Posted: 2/28/2010 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If it means anything, I drilled an angled hole in my M72's US made barrel with no bullet, and it came out fine.
In fact, the rifle does 2-3 moa with surplus ammo
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Got her done, and I really don't know if the bullet helped. I guess it gave me some confidence that should I've over drilled I know it. Luckily I did not. Wasn't as bas a I feared.

I did make a mark and pushed the gas assembly forward toward the muzzle, I drilled a small/shallow indent and  opened it up a little with a larger drill bit. I got the gas assembly back in the original/desired postion, inserted one pin and drilled.

I was worried about this step, but it turned out fine. She is no longer a single shot!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top