Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2017 6:05:00 AM EDT
I shot my FR8 yesterday . I came across a couple of hundred   rounds Chinasport .308  . Copperwash looking ammo . Got no clue if it is corrosive ? . I mixed up a solution of Ballistal 20% -80%  water .Hot water. Flushed the barrel and bolt. I know some got under the stock. Will this cause rust ? I just wiped the rifle off really well and shook out the bolt. I'm fairly new to Ballistal.TIA WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally I'd take it apart and make sure its clean and dry under the receiver and oil it well.

Also you can clean areas corrosive salts got to but the water and Ballistol didn't.

Ballistol says to use 10% with 90% water as an initial flush then clean with straight Ballistol.

Like I said I'd take it apart to make sure it won't rust.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Ill do that... Wardawg
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I shot my FR8 yesterday . I came across a couple of hundred   rounds Chinasport .308  . Copperwash looking ammo . Got no clue if it is corrosive ? . I mixed up a solution of Ballistal 20% -80%  water .Hot water. Flushed the barrel and bolt. I know some got under the stock. Will this cause rust ? I just wiped the rifle off really well and shook out the bolt. I'm fairly new to Ballistal.TIA WarDawg
View Quote

Did it come in a box or is it loose rounds? It should non-corrosive.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did it come in a box or is it loose rounds? It should non-corrosive.
View Quote
Blackandwhite box with China sport on it.  20 rnds boxs
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Not my picture, but does it look like that?

If so, it should say "non-corrosive" on the box itself.

I don't think I ever seen corrosive ammo in the market unless you go military surplus or really old military surplus rounds. Some of the older pre 80 ammo tend to be corrosive depending.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/03/08/1216282_01_china_sports_308_win_200_rnds__640.jpg

Not my picture, but does it look like that?

If so, it should say "non-corrosive" on the box itself.

I don't think I ever seen corrosive ammo in the market unless you go military surplus or really old military surplus rounds. Some of the older pre 80 ammo tend to be corrosive depending.
View Quote
Yeah thats it. I didnt even notice the side of the box. I never had any china ammo before and didn't know. Thanks WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:32:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Is corrosive ammo cheaper to make?  Do you trust Chinese manufacturers to be truthful?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never had a problem with rust using ballistol.  I thought it was supposed to leave a protective film when the water evaporated
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top