Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2017 9:22:03 PM EDT
I picked up a new 6933 upper from Arms Unlimited. It shipped well protected double boxed with the inner box being a Colt labeled upper receiver box. It came with a nice coat of oil on it, so I didn't notice anything initially but after wiping the excess oil, I noticed the barrel finish in front of the FSB is thin/worn/rubbed off. I contacted Arms Unlimited after hours today via email about exchanging but likely will not hear anything until tomorrow. The bad news is after checking their website, this upper is out of stock now. My question is will a product such as Aluminum Black somewhat fix this? (See Below) I think the Sharpie fix looks and would look like total crap in this case. I have some Dry Film lubricant but it's not the same tone. Any advice appreciated.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Put oil back on it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
In case you haven't owned a colt before, Colt doesn't give a shit about being gentle with their guns at the factory. I think parts must be carted around the plant and dumped in piles where they are needed.all of mine have come new with scratches and dings.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In case you haven't owned a colt before, Colt doesn't give a shit about being gentle with their guns at the factory. I think parts must be carted around the plant and dumped in piles where they are needed.all of mine have come new with scratches and dings.
View Quote
Pretty much this. It's pretty common knowledge that the finish usually sucks on Colts. Should have got an RRA if you're worried about the finish.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Man Colt's QC must have gone tits up. I own 4 other Colts but have not bought one since 05 and I'm sorry I did now. I'll see what Arms Unlimited has to say and decide where to go from there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Well it isn't a python.

I'm sorry your Colt Commando has a boo boo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:31:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Go break and rake a window and you won't notice that scratch anymore.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#7]
UPDATE As I expected, AU directed me to contact Colt. It wasn't that big of deal and rather than that hassle, I cleaned the area with a little rubbing alcohol to degrease it let it dry and then applied Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black and it actually looks good IMO. Didn't know how it would work on steel, but it did better than I expected.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I dunno if that Alumablack is going to hold up.  Cold Blue is a better way to go.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Man Colt's QC must have gone tits up. I own 4 other Colts but have not bought one since 05 and I'm sorry I did now. I'll see what Arms Unlimited has to say and decide where to go from there.
View Quote
It's not that their QC has gone tits up, it's that colt has been very vocal and making it known that "finish" is not a priority. Function is. They treat their civilian AR bases like the military. Meaning function over form and "this is made for blowing sh!t up, not staring at".... It's just the way it is if you buy a colt
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Dude dont worry about it.

You'll bang and scratch it up with use anyway.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I know Colt gets ragged on a lot with nicks and dings. I guess rightfully so . I have bought 3ea colts in the last few years . 6920,  901 , and an A4  . All have been ding and scratch free. Lucky I guess . Colt builds great functioning rifles.WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I have found Brownells Dicropan T-4 to be the best for touching up metal.  The black seems to be a closer match than anything else I've tried.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have found Brownells Dicropan T-4 to be the best for touching up metal.  The black seems to be a closer match than anything else I've tried.
View Quote
Thanks for that information. Never heard of it but will definitely try it in the future
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
UPDATE As I expected, AU directed me to contact Colt. It wasn't that big of deal and rather than that hassle, I cleaned the area with a little rubbing alcohol to degrease it let it dry and then applied Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black and it actually looks good IMO. Didn't know how it would work on steel, but it did better than I expected.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59839/IMG_0858-276939.JPG
View Quote
With your standards, you'd better be very careful with that rifle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Colts QC is as good as it ever was, they don't care about military guns looking pretty, never have.
They are very careful with their civilian pistol lineup as far as cosmetics go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59839/IMG_0858-276939.JPG
View Quote
Pull the barrel and send it to me I will park it for free you pay shipping both ways
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top