Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2017 7:12:03 AM EDT
I tore down one of my rifles getting it ready for a cerakote job next week... and for the life of me I can't get the trigger guard roll pin to budge.  I installed a Mapgul polymer guard about 6 months ago and it went smoothly.  Didn't have any trouble inserting the roll pin... can't imagine why I can't get it out.  I'm bracing the lower very well and I have not been lightly hitting... using the correct size punch and moved up to a 1 pound sledge makes no difference, i'm worried i'm going to break the lower.  I've also soaked it in brake cleaner and clp, no change.  Any adivce?

Frank
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Try kroil and let it sit overnight.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Little Crow trigger guard roll pin pusher
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a heat gun? A little heat for a minute or so might loosen it up.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:01:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, just ordered the Little Crow Tool, had no idea that existed and figure it will be useful in the future, I always hated pounding in that roll pin.  Going to pick up some Kroil as well, i'm sure that will come in handy.  

Appreciate it!

Frank
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought the magpul use a set screw?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought the magpul use a set screw?
View Quote
Only the front roll pin is replaced with a set screw, rear is still a roll pin.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Little Crow trigger guard roll pin pusher
View Quote
Received yesterday, 10 minutes later had the roll pin in my hand.  Thanks for the heads up on this.. it's a winner.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I pounded them in and out for years and never had a problem.
I still got one of these tools as soon as I saw it as this tool was obviously a better way.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Most of my ARs use the plastic Magpul trigger guard.
I got into the habit years ago of inserting a brass ferrule into each of the 3 holes and using a button head Allen screw in at all 3 points.

With Photobucket hosing the old threads, it's a crapshoot finding the threads that had the trick in 'em with photos to show how to.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I just removed and replaced a trigger guard. Lightly hitting is your problem, they can be very tight. Oil it up and hammer on it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just removed and replaced a trigger guard. Lightly hitting is your problem, they can be very tight. Oil it up and hammer on it.
View Quote
I do these all the time, I don't see the problem either.  The proper roll pin punch and a strong centered hit and its moving out/in.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top