Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2017 6:01:15 AM EDT
Hi all! I was cleaning my ar15 and I accidentally drop the hammer on my AR lower receiver without an upper (I did up my thump on it, but not hard enough). I was told that slamming a hammer on an ar15 lower without an upper is a big no-no. This is my first ar15 and I am worry that I might cause damage to my rifle. Could one hammer strike on the lower damage the firearm?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Did it crack the wall on the magwell? If not then you are ok. Don't let it happen again.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Hammer in one piece still? Then you're OK. If cocked, place on safe, that will prevent it happening again if the hammer is cocked, if you want to release the hammer, carefully ride it forward, I prefer to place my thumb in front of it from the front of the lower, not over the top of the hammer from the rear.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:43:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did it crack the wall on the magwell? If not then you are ok. Don't let it happen again.
View Quote
No crack so far after the inspection. However, I am just afraid of the internal crack
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Dry firing without an upper installed, hundreds of times... to failure? Nope.

Quoted:
Having read multiple threads about how you should never dry-fire an AR15 without the upper attached, I decided to find out how many times it would take to fail and if something failed, what part gave out.

Background: I had milled an 80% lower out of 6061 aluminum from 80percentarms. While the lower is functional, it's not going to be a keeper because of a milling mistake affecting the safety area (I had one of the jig pieces upside down!), so I decided to use the lower for this test.

For those of you unfamiliar with 6061, it is generally regarded as more than strong enough for use in an AR-15 lower, but not as strong as 7075 - the mil-spec alloy of aluminum. People frequently make 80% lowers out of them because they're much easier to mill.

After the first 10 dry fires, some paint was removed from the bolt catch and the hammer. After 100 dry fires, there was no evidence of any damage. Same with 200 and 300. After 400 times, there was an every-so-slight bulge in the lower, where the bolt catch was hitting the edge of the lower. To put this in perspective, I had to hold it at just the right angle to notice it and even putting a straight edge on it, it was really hard to notice. Roughly, I'd guess 1/10th of a mm.

After 500 dry firings, I removed the bolt catch and inspected it. Honestly, I would not have noticed anything unless I was specifically looking for it. That said, there was a tiny upraised area that I couldn't see, but which my finger nail would catch on where the hammer was hitting the lower. Other than that, it functioned perfectly.

I then re-installed the bolt catch and continued the test, but this time with a magazine in place. Maybe it's having a magazine in the lower that causes problems when it's dry fired without an upper, since an empty mag will lift up the bolt catch. After dry firing it 100 times that way, there was still no detectable damage beyond the missing paint on the hammer, bolt catch, and the two almost imperceptibly small dings in the lower I described before. To put these dings in perspective, I'm confident I could show the lower to 100 buyers and not one would notice these dings.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By :
View Quote
Double post was trying to quote Gunlos Archived post above about testing strength of 6061 lower/bolt catch dry firing 600 Times. Aluminum should not break from accidentally dropping hammer; Polymer might. If it did most reputable manufacturer's would replace it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#6]
As a young private we were told to never do that. We did it a lot. I saw it done many times over eight years, as a NCO, I didn't do it. I never really scolded any young Soldier for it either. Never saw one break,crack or anything related to that. So I have trouble believing people that freak out over it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#7]
It's fine.

I mean, don't make a habit of it, but once in a while shouldn't hurt anything.

I would reckon that the aluminum lower and steel bolt catch are harder than your finger bone and that happen snapping on your finger won't be breaking any bone either.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

If the web where the hammer struck the receiver is fine - you're fine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hi all! I was cleaning my ar15 and I accidentally drop the hammer on my AR lower receiver without an upper (I did up my thump on it, but not hard enough). I was told that slamming a hammer on an ar15 lower without an upper is a big no-no. This is my first ar15 and I am worry that I might cause damage to my rifle. Could one hammer strike on the lower damage the firearm?
Thanks
View Quote

The worst thing that can happen is that your mag catch breaks. Very doubtful the lower would crack or break.

Pulling the trigger on a empty lower is okay for the most part. Everyone accidentally does it from time to time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a LaRue MBT 2 stage trigger and you wont have to worry about that anymore.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top