Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/8/2017 9:01:54 PM EDT
Having finally fired my A2 enough to have bad deposits on the crown inside the muzzle device, I have a question or two.

How much torque should be required to get the flash hider off?  A mag well block in a vice will be a safe way to anchor the rifle to do this?

I don't see it being productive to try cleaning with the muzzle device in place.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
No magwell block.

Drill a hole axially thru 5 inches of 2x4, cut the block in half (splitting the hole you bored), and use that to clamp the barrel in the vice.

Using a magwell block for that will likely distort everything aluminum, and could easily shear the barrel pin that locates it in the upper.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that makes more sense, especially if it's tight.  I also forgot to ask if it;s L or R hand thread.

I don't care about a little grunge, but I'm sure at some point this stuff will affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Right hand thread.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]
One of my rifles has a TON of crap built up. Still shoots 1 MOA 10-shot groups. Chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I don't want to fix something that's not broken, but I thought at some point, something will have to be done.

I doubt that troops in the field mess with it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If you remove the flash hider you'll have to buy a new crush washer each time.
Crush washers are a "one time" use item and should be replaced.

I like to keep my rifles very clean and I've seen AR's with a muzzle bright green on the face from a build up of copper that corrodes.
So, I made a simple scraper from a section of brass rod shaped to allow me to scrape the muzzle face.
It has a front face shaped like a chisel to form a scraping edge.
This gets almost all of it off.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I doubt your a good enough shot for this to make any notable difference in accuracy. No offense, I'm sure your probably a sniper for a swat team just like everyone on ar15.com.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#8]
A typical torque spec is in the ballpark of 20-30 ft/lbs for a muzzle device, but yours could be significantly harder especially if loctite or rocksett have been applied. Use the 2x4 jig mentioned above, add some heat before you even start- and you should be OK.

When reinstalling just add a fresh crush washer and tighten by hand to contact with the crush washer then go for another complete 1.5-2 revolutions with your wrench.

With all of that said, I wouldn't sweat detail cleaning a flash hider unless it is the mounting point for a QD suppressor. I wrap mine with a lint free cloth and rubber band it around the hider and soak the cloth in bore cleaner while I clean the BCG and rest of the rifle. When that is done a brass brush or a touch of steel wool clean the remaining carbon handily.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I never bother with cleaning the muzzle.
If you do, you run the risk of scratching the crown, which is a concern.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never bother with cleaning the muzzle.
If you do, you run the risk of scratching the crown, which is a concern.
View Quote
Me neither, on any of my rifles, and have never noticed a loss of accuracy.

No need to take off the MD off but if you do you will likely see a shift in POI when you re-time it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I doubt your a good enough shot for this to make any notable difference in accuracy. No offense, I'm sure your probably a sniper for a swat team just like everyone on ar15.com.
View Quote
That's for sure I can assure you.  It's just an OCD thing and the possibility that it could matter.  I wouldn't like that crud on any other rifle I own.

Some good reasons in this thread to either leave it alone, or do an in place cleaning with non marring tools.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top