Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/7/2017 7:46:42 AM EDT
I am trying my to find a tool kit which I can start building my one rifle with. There are so many out there ranging from a couple of one hundred to several thousand. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Kits kinda suck.  Better to piece together quality parts for the things that you actually need.  Buy once, cry never.

But in terms of you personally, it would help to know what you already have?
Things that are good to have:
A vice
Soft jaws for the vice, preferably ones that can hold a barrel
An upper receiver vice block
A lower receiver vice block
Small roll pin punches and a rubber mallet
an assortment of hex keys
good screw drivers in all sizes
torx drivers too
a barrel nut wrench
a castle nut wrench
a foot-pounds torque wrench
an inch-pounds torque wrench

That's about it for an AR

ETA:  I assume this is for an AR?  A tool kit for thousands of dollars?  Please post link
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm cheap as hell.
I would go to garage sales and what not to buy the more universal tools for example vises and hammers...
Soft Jaws can be had at for 20$
Tekton Punches This is the best punch set for the money
those universal hex key sets 5 or under each
Screw Drivers...
The Harbor Freight Torque Wrench works great for 20$
This Upper Receiver Vise Block
Lower Receiver Vise Blocks are 10-20
I wouldn't use the Brownells Armorers Wrench, because the barrel nut isn't compatible with all barrel nut brands.

... this stuff will work for a shit load of builds... I bought a lot of my stuff used, and have spent maybe 150$ on my gunsmith stff
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
That set has a lot of tools most of us would never need, also I imagine you are paying a lot for the case with the pre-cut foam.  It looks SUPER sweet, but unless you are a professional armorer would be over kill.

The INSTRUCTIONS for the kit is pretty interesting, goes into detail on how to use all the tools (even punches etc).  Good read I thought (only got about 1/4 through it....)
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That set has a lot of tools most of us would never need, also I imagine you are paying a lot for the case with the pre-cut foam.  It looks SUPER sweet, but unless you are a professional armorer would be over kill.

The INSTRUCTIONS for the kit is pretty interesting, goes into detail on how to use all the tools (even punches etc).  Good read I thought (only got about 1/4 through it....)
View Quote
Interesting, I've always hated pre cut foam... when one of the tools gets lost or broken, there's that empty void that no other tool can fill in correctly.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#7]
That's the kit they issue armorers in the usmc.

How much of it do they actually use? The couple things listed above.

Pretty much even for all the other weapons too. Guns aren't that complicated.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Download the TM and make a list of what is needed to do what you want to do.
For gun work in general an interchangeable tip handle with hollow ground screwdriver bits is very handy.
I have a lot more gunsmith tools than what is there for less money and most of my tools came from Brownell’s.
I started out with a very basic set 30 something years ago and have added a lot over the years.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
For the money the premium set should include:
Brownell’s version of the reaction rod.
A starter roll pin punch set.
A better ejector removal tool.
A needle file set.
A fine stone.
Go and No-go headspace gages.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top