Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 11:18:18 AM EDT
Well, looks like G96 is, for sure...I wonder if any other "biobased" CLP's will make the cut? You know they gonna submit samples...
http://www.g96.com/products/military-grade-products/bio-clp-gun-oil/
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm confused, is there some new request out there for a new CLP? I just googled it and found a statement that the new current formula from Safariland that BF CLP has been approved by the military again. Would love to hear some more on this.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm confused, is there some new request out there for a new CLP? I just googled it and found a statement that the new current formula from Safariland that BF CLP has been approved by the military again. Would love to hear some more on this.
View Quote
Yes, the military sent out a RFI last year requesting new bio based CLP. A lot of companies tried to compete for it including Otis, and G96. Even Froglube is competing for it with their new "extreme" lineup. Their normal CLP just isn't good enough for cold weather so they made the "extreme" version to compete at some level.

You can find it here: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=140f587ae9f6c5078a66651e3e762f80&tab=core&tabmode=list&=

Just note: any company claiming to be the "approved" bio based lube isn't telling the entire truth. As far as I know, no military order is in place for a bio based CLP. It's purely in the testing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes, the military sent out a RFI last year requesting new bio based CLP. A lot of companies tried to compete for it including Otis, and G96. Even Froglube is competing for it with their new "extreme" lineup. Their normal CLP just isn't good enough for cold weather so they made the "extreme" version to compete at some level.

You can find it here: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=140f587ae9f6c5078a66651e3e762f80&tab=core&tabmode=list&=

Just note: any company claiming to be the "approved" bio based lube isn't telling the entire truth. As far as I know, no military order is in place for a bio based CLP. It's purely in the testing.
View Quote
http://www.g96.com/products/military-grade-products/bio-clp-gun-oil/
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow that G96 stuff is expensive.

I am not sure what the fascination with bio cleaners and lubes are. Once you clean a gun the residue makes the stuff hazardous anyway.

Hoppe's and regular gun oil has worked for myself, my father and grandfather. I have some of my grandfathers guns and they are in very good condition considering they are close to 100 years old and were used for hunting and farm duties.

I am using up a bottle of Slip2000EWL on my ARs. I have to say I like that stuff but it is crazy expensive. I am not sure I will buy a replacement bottle when I run out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow that G96 stuff is expensive.

I am not sure what the fascination with bio cleaners and lubes are. Once you clean a gun the residue makes the stuff hazardous anyway.

Hoppe's and regular gun oil has worked for myself, my father and grandfather. I have some of my grandfathers guns and they are in very good condition considering they are close to 100 years old and were used for hunting and farm duties.

I am using up a bottle of Slip2000EWL on my ARs. I have to say I like that stuff but it is crazy expensive. I am not sure I will buy a replacement bottle when I run out.
View Quote
I do not know what it is about older guns, tools, etc. but they seem to get to a point where they just don't rust, even on bare metal, some of them. I'm sure you've seen the type I'm talking about. It's like they've lived that long and rust just leaves them alone, lol
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
If you read that page very closely, nothing in it says that the Army is actually using it. It simply says that it passes all the so-called tests. Any company can make that claim.

In the G96 page, it says very clearly near the bottom: "National Stock Number – NSN’s to be Decided" which means that it is not in the supply chain and is not actually being used by anyone. No one in the military can order something without a NSN on it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 2:38:42 AM EDT
[#7]
That's very interesting. I have heard however that G96 is providing the REGULAR clp for the military along with some others, not sure about the Bio-based one though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's very interesting. I have heard however that G96 is providing the REGULAR clp for the military along with some others, not sure about the Bio-based one though.
View Quote
Look at Breakfree. They claim to be the CLP for the military but reality is they haven't been for some time. It hasn't stopped them from using that fact in their advertisement but they do so very smartly by saying, "Originally developed for the US Military, Break Free® CLP® is an all-in-one cleaner, lubricant and protectant solution for firearms, available in commercial and MILSPEC formulations." Very smart because it doesn't actually say it's currently being used by the military but that the CLP was made for the military. Very smart, and very easy to get people who don't carefully read what they're buying.

Whenever a product is interested by the government, any company will jump on that. Heck, Tang drink mix was used by the early NASA astronauts going to the moon. Tang of course jumped on this like crazy advertising that fact like it was the best thing ever. A few years ago, Buzz Aldrin said Tang sucks. Guess they shouldn't ask people who actually use it what they think of it.

That doesn't mean it's a bad product or anything.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:17:14 AM EDT
[#9]
These are on the current qualified products list for MIL-PRF-63460F.  The list is dated 03/26/17.  63460E(4) was the spec in 2014.  All of the products below show certified green status.

ARPOLUBE 63460E
BREAK FREE CLP LIQUID (REV D)
G96 CLP SYNTHETIC OIL
G96 SYNTHETIC BIO-CLP GUN OIL
RADCOLUBE CLP
ROYAL PURPLE MAX-RUN SYNTHETIC GUN LUBRICANT
ROYCO-634E
SENT-CLP E
SENT-CLP-EE

http://qpldocs.dla.mil/search/print_govt_mfg.aspx?govt=34474185
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:20:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Look at Breakfree. They claim to be the CLP for the military but reality is they haven't been for some time. It hasn't stopped them from using that fact in their advertisement but they do so very smartly by saying, "Originally developed for the US Military, Break Free® CLP® is an all-in-one cleaner, lubricant and protectant solution for firearms, available in commercial and MILSPEC formulations." Very smart because it doesn't actually say it's currently being used by the military but that the CLP was made for the military. Very smart, and very easy to get people who don't carefully read what they're buying.
View Quote
In the past, BreakFree CLP was not on the approved list, but the current "BREAK FREE CLP LIQUID (REV D)" manufactured by Safariland is on the approved list.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:12:02 AM EDT
[#11]
https://www.safariland.com/news-posts/refined-break-free-clp-liquid-officially-approved-military-use-one-step-cleaning-solution-exceeding-mil-prf-63460e4-military-test-standards.html
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been using the G96 Synthetic mil-spec CLP, and am honestly very impressed with it. I like it because there are no surprises to be had like people discovering in a year that it gums up or some mess, and it's VOC-free, meaning it won't separate out, etc. as I understand it. It seems to clean fouling off VERY well, and stays wet pretty well when suppressed. If it passes all of the .mil tests, I feel I am very unlikely to discover some massive game-stopper of a shortcoming. Not to say it's impossible, or that "mil-spec is the best" or anything, but it is a good indicator.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Whenever a product is interested by the government, any company will jump on that. Heck, Tang drink mix was used by the early NASA astronauts going to the moon. Tang of course jumped on this like crazy advertising that fact like it was the best thing ever. A few years ago, Buzz Aldrin said Tang sucks. Guess they shouldn't ask people who actually use it what they think of it.

That doesn't mean it's a bad product or anything.
View Quote
I've mentioned this before other places, but, "mil-spec" is not a synonym for "the best" and has a very specific meaning. If it's actually mil-spec, it is the actual military stuff. Military specifications are one step above cast in stone, and they are not allowed to be improved period. You can invent the best stuff ever, but it ain't mil-spec til it is specified by the military.  For example, there are no true mil-spec semiautomatic AR 15's, period. Because a mil spec AR-15 is a select fire weapon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:41:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah unless you are military there is no way you can have a true mil spec AR15 since as said a mil spec AR is select fire mil designated M16A1/2/4 or M4. Closest you can get is a Colt LE6920 but even that is not mil spec, most of the parts are made to mil spec standards however.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#15]
@GACS

@sagmill

Does this thread explain this product's introduction last year:
https://algdefense.com/alg-go-juice-lubricant-4-oz.html
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top