Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2017 2:49:56 PM EDT
I was wondering after you clean your AR do you wipe everything down? All metal parts including the rail before you put it away for long term storage?

Storage will be about 6-12 months.

Will ballistol work for this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, just lube normally.

I have an old Colt that was made in the 1980s I keep in hot shipping container and it looks great. I have never done a damn thing special to it to keep it from rusting.
Quality parkerizing combines with maintenance combats rust very well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the humidity in the place the gun will be stored?

Breakfree makes a product called Collector made for long term storage. My guns are kept in my safe which the humidity is usually 35-45% depending on the season. I use Collector on some of my Mil-Surp guns because they may only get used once a year and I am paranoid.

You can also keep the gun in a treated sock or bag. I like Borestores. I use them to transport guns instead of zippered bags. Prevents bumps and bruise, are reasonably priced and not bulky.

Breakfree Collector

Borestores
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
For long term storage I clean my rigs normally and then give the exterior a light blast of G96. Let it sit for 10 minutes for the solvent to evaporate leaving behind the lube and seal in storage bags I got from Brownells. I have had numerous guns (40+) left in storage like this, not a single issue in over a year, and the ones I pulled out of the bags are still wet with lube!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top