Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2017 6:12:53 PM EDT
Last weekend I was cleaning a revolver and noticed quite a bit of crap inside the barrel after cleaning with a nylon brush. Switched to brass and that removed all of it so my question is which of these brushes am I able to use  on a regular basis....bronze vs. brass vs. nylon?  Is it possible for a brass and/or bronze brush damage the inside of a barrel? Also are there any brushes I should avoid in certain barrels?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Bronze brushes with a brass wire core cannot damage your barrel unless you make a habit of running it partially into the bore and then reversing the direction. Barrels are made of hardened steel and since bronze and brass are much softer metals, they are excellent for brush construction and safe to use regularly.

I recommend Tipton "Best" bore brushes. The brass wire core is looped through the threaded base so it will not separate while using it. They also have more bristles than most others that I have seen which means they get the job done faster. When used properly, they will not harm your barrels in any way. I have had Hoppe's brushes come apart where they are crimped, leaving the brush stuck in the barrel on a couple of occasions. They were easy enough to remove using a jag to push them out.

Also, I have found using a cable and pulling the brushes and patches from the breech to the muzzle can be done on any weapon I have. Most will tell you never to push a tool into the muzzle. When using a rod, on some weapons it is not possible to push from the breech to the muzzle and you risk damaging the crown if you push from muzzle to breech.

Maybe a little more than you were asking for, but I do love my Tipton brushes and jags. Once you use them, everything else seems like cheap junk!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Exterminator555 said everything I was going to say, good post.  I don't use brushes every time but when I deep clean I use pull through cable and use nylon brushes for solvents like copper remover,,etc. Brass/bronze bristle brush for carbon and always from chamber to muzzle. Don't use a drill.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top