Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2017 10:25:03 AM EDT
I just got one of these. I have some Simple Green Pro HD 128 oz. Professional-Grade Heavy-Duty Cleaner. The Purple Stuff I hear its pretty safe for all metals. What I am concenerd about is my Nickle Boron BCG's and the my new Sharps XPB Carrier Group Complete. What do you guys think? I have contact both WMD, FZ, and Sharps. Just wanted to get your pulse on it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry about solvents, just make sure that the water is hot, mix in some Dawn dish soap.  The heat & the ultrasonic action do more than solvents.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just got one of these. I have some Simple Green Pro HD 128 oz. Professional-Grade Heavy-Duty Cleaner. The Purple Stuff I hear its pretty safe for all metals. What I am concenerd about is my Nickle Boron BCG's and the my new Sharps XPB Carrier Group Complete. What do you guys think? I have contact both WMD, FZ, and Sharps. Just wanted to get your pulse on it.
View Quote

Add some Lemi Shine Booster with the water and a few drops of the HD simple green.
Start with hot water from the tap. Turn you ultrasonic cleaner on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Good info guys, I just want to make sure I don't ruin my finishes like the boron. The HD purple stuff by simple green says its safe on all metals...but is it? LOL. Start with hot water first - got it.

What about the bolt, will the water hurt the rings and o-ring after multiple cleanings?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good info guys, I just want to make sure I don't ruin my finishes like the boron. The HD purple stuff by simple green says its safe on all metals...but is it? LOL. Start with hot water first - got it.

What about the bolt, will the water hurt the rings and o-ring after multiple cleanings?
View Quote
All you need is soap and water.  Water will not hurt those parts, not to mention how cheap those consumable parts are.  These are less than a box of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]
You don't need a detergent.  The micro bubbles that the ultrasonic generate do the work.  What helps is a surfactant so that the bubbles touch the surface to be cleaned.  A couple drops of dawn works fine.  If you really want to have the best, use the Hornady Ultrasonic parts cleaner.

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j26o0rq3zz00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Freloading%2Fcase-cleaning%2Fultrasonic-case-cleaners%2Fone-shot-gun-parts-formula-prod41095.aspx
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
cool - thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a WMD  Nickel-Boron BCG.  It just wipes off, so I've not tried to use my Hornady US cleaner on it.  I have cleaned nickel plated brass cases in it with no problem, so I don't know why not to use US on it, if you ever need to.  I agree that a drop or two of dishwashing detergent is all that is needed.  The soap does not do the cleaning, it just is a surfactant.  Do not add anything else but water and soap.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]
After several weeks of research I finally purchased my first US cleaner. I bought one made by Sharpertek all made in the USA and not this China crap relabled with 50 different names on Ebay. I read a lot about different solutions people were using and its  no different than gun lube and everyone claims to be the best thing since sliced bread. I decided since I was already spending more than I planned I added a gallon of the gun cleaner from Sharpertek. I have cleaned several guns and I am extremely happy with the results. Not saying it's the best, but it sure exceeded my expectations. The cleaner dilutes to 4:1 and after I'm done I filter the solution thru a coffee filter and into a separate container and I'm keeping track of how many guns it has cleaned. As long as it keeps the parts coming out clean, I will keep filtering and reusing. I am very glad I bought the more expensive cleaner with a true SWEEP function. My friend has the one from Harbor Freight and the difference in the results is night and day. The gun cleaner isn't cheap, but neither are my guns that I'm cleaning. At this point I see no reason to try anything else.
NCH
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The SG Pro will not harm the finishes you mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After several weeks of research I finally purchased my first US cleaner. I bought one made by Sharpertek all made in the USA and not this China crap relabled with 50 different names on Ebay. I read a lot about different solutions people were using and its  no different than gun lube and everyone claims to be the best thing since sliced bread. I decided since I was already spending more than I planned I added a gallon of the gun cleaner from Sharpertek. I have cleaned several guns and I am extremely happy with the results. Not saying it's the best, but it sure exceeded my expectations. The cleaner dilutes to 4:1 and after I'm done I filter the solution thru a coffee filter and into a separate container and I'm keeping track of how many guns it has cleaned. As long as it keeps the parts coming out clean, I will keep filtering and reusing. I am very glad I bought the more expensive cleaner with a true SWEEP function. My friend has the one from Harbor Freight and the difference in the results is night and day. The gun cleaner isn't cheap, but neither are my guns that I'm cleaning. At this point I see no reason to try anything else.
NCH
View Quote
Wow, those appear to be some HIGH PRICED cleaners. Care to share which model you went with?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't worry about solvents, just make sure that the water is hot, mix in some Dawn dish soap.  The heat & the ultrasonic action do more than solvents.
View Quote
Furthemore, don't use acidic products like citric acid, unless you like finish stripped from your steel parts.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top