Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2017 10:59:37 PM EDT
Recently ordered a brick of Brown Bear .223. I've had some bad experiences before with a colt and lacquered ammo due to improper cleaning, so I was curious - what's y'all's favorite chemicals/brushes for cleaning after shooting lacquered steel case? Will regular Hoppes No. 9 solvent take care of it, or is there something else that does a better job at cleaning out the chamber?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
CLP & a chamber brush works for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not laquer, never has been.

It's just more carbon buildup from the steel not expanding to seal the chamber as well as brass does. Use whatever carbon solvent you like and your chamber brush. Mpro-7 works great, but Hoppes works, or Hoppes Elite, or whatever you normally use. Just spend an extra thirty seconds spinning the chamber brush a few more times.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:33:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not laquer, never has been.

It's just more carbon buildup from the steel not expanding to seal the chamber as well as brass does.
View Quote
Really?  TIL, I always thought it was the lacquer melting in the hot chamber.

Wow. I've told some people some really stupid info, haven't I? Good to know though, I'll get a chamber brush and go from there!
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Hose it out with non chlorinated brake cleaner every 1k rounds or so.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Recently ordered a brick of Brown Bear .223. I've had some bad experiences before with a colt and lacquered ammo due to improper cleaning, so I was curious - what's y'all's favorite chemicals/brushes for cleaning after shooting lacquered steel case? Will regular Hoppes No. 9 solvent take care of it, or is there something else that does a better job at cleaning out the chamber?
View Quote

Hoppes pretty good. The key thing is to let it soak in for a while. Either way, build up in the bore is incredibly hard to remove, no matter what. I don't think there's any one stop solution but I think everyone has tricks up their sleeves. The key is to let things soak and take it easy. Don't go crazy.

For me, I coat my bore with Fireclean. I never used this stuff for lubrication, but long time ago I found it makes shotgun cleaning very, very easy. You still have to scrub or brush, but the amount of hard effort is reduced.

I don't coat my AR with fireclean (I coat it with another oil), but a month or two ago, I shot tulammo out of my ar, and the build up was the worst I seen. I shot a .22 conversion kit and ended up having a disaster as .22s were shooting randomly 3-5 ft in random directions. The cleaning of the bore took days. I didn't coat it with Fireclean before, but now I do and the tulammo build up is still occurring but I can easily clear it out of the barrel with a boresnake. I honestly never seen anything like it before with this stuff.

Just my experience.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah, get this stuff: http://www.big45.com/

It works and doesn't scratch your bore at all. I had to break that out for my tulammo disaster.

Also, Choreboy works, just make sure you test it with a magnet. If it sticks, don't use it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, get this stuff: http://www.big45.com/

It works and doesn't scratch your bore at all. I had to break that out for my tulammo disaster.

Also, Choreboy works, just make sure you test it with a magnet. If it sticks, don't use it.
View Quote
Test what with a magnet?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Lacquer doesn't melt.
If you doubt it, take a fired steel lacquered case and heat it with a torch.  Watch for the lacquer to melt...Not.

If lacquer fouled the chamber, you'd think the Soviets and all their allies would have noticed in the billions of rounds fired through full-auto weapons that get red hot.

As above, the issue is the lesser expanding and contracting steel case and the lesser tapered American rifle chambers.
The commies designed their chambers with more taper.  This aided feed, and also extraction of steel cases that don't contract back as well as brass.
The problem is, American and most western chambers are more straight, and that makes feed and extraction more difficult.
American firearms were designed with no thought to the use of steel cases, only the far more elastic brass case.

Also as above, any bore solvent and a chamber brush will clean the fouling out, and it's the carbon and powder fouling that causes the issue, not lacquer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Test what with a magnet?
View Quote
The choreboy. I believe the single pack is made of copper but the two in one pack seems to have metal with copper over it. No idea why.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top