Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2017 5:48:26 PM EDT
Who commercially offers the same DSL (Dry Solid Lubricant) as used by the US Army?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I read the Article about the Army's new Super Dry Film Lubricant, (about a year ago) but never heard anything since then....  

No idea.... but I'd be interested in it too!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if "Otis Technology Special Forces Dry Lube" is applicable or Tuf-Glide?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Otis Dry Combat lub.  It is a spray.  Its active ingredients are acetone and mineral oil.  The acetone dissolves the mineral oil into very short chain molecules which then kinda disappear into the metal's natural groves and imperfections.  It is marginal lubrication.  Lubrication engineers would probably just call this boundary lubrication.  The mineral oil is broken down to the point it is less apt to hold fine particles of dust.  It is ok for the action spring and maybe spray into the trigger area every so often.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who commercially offers the same DSL (Dry Solid Lubricant) as used by the US Army?
View Quote

Which kind?

MIL-L-8937
MIL-L-23398
MIL-L-46010
MIL-L-43146
MIL-L-81329

The M16/M4 TM calls out MIL-L-23398 for touch-up work.

MIL-L-46010 is the stuff used on the magazines, and interior of the upper and receiver extension.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know the Mil Number - it replaces the LSA, CLP etc... in the M16s. Doesn't attract sand and other.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know the Mil Number - it replaces the LSA, CLP etc... in the M16s. Doesn't attract sand and other.
View Quote
Nothing as of yet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

No one yet but a private company did buy the rights.   I'm not sure if I'm at liberty to say who though...
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, I can't wait to know who and the name of the product.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:29:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Are you talking about this?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes Joglee.
I though the application process was simple and not plasma vapor deposition.
Thanks for posting the info.

DSL Article
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes Joglee.
I though the application process was simple and not plasma vapor deposition.
Thanks for posting the info.

DSL Article
View Quote
Yeah DSL will be replacing the phosphate coating that is standard.

If it works as well as it looks it'll be going to basically every weapon system in inventory.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If he is, it's Giesele but he can't say Giesele.
View Quote
Is it Geissele?

I though Geissele partnered with a company who purchased the rights to use the coating?

That said the coating shows promise if what PEO is reporting is accurate.

Increased reliability across all spectrums with zero lubrication, as well as increased durability.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#14]
OST
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 1:45:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Can't speak for the Army issue stuff but I used Remington Dry Lube in Iraq '04-'05. Still has some left on the bolt carrier after all this time and 1000's of rounds.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anybody tried Tungsten Disulfide (WS2) Dry Lubricant Spray?
http://www.lowerfriction.com/pdf/8.pdf
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use WS2 as a friction modifier in all of my lube. I coat the inside of my uppers and lowers in ws2 and then add it to my oil and grease. It is really difficult to get off once the micron powder soaks into the cerakote, parkerizing, melonite, ionbond, , and anodizing.  However it won't wash off of anything without like some brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol, even on your hands. It is black and messy, but it is the most lubricious material on the planet so it makes everything much more slick. Think of Teflon or graphite, but much better at engraving in the pores of metal and non toxic. It doesn't really soak into stainless metals though.

I recommend trying it by adding to your grease and I promise you will not be disappointed with the performance.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
WS2 is slicker than you can imagine. I have some powder I mixed with a light oil and put in a dropper bottle for applying to my guns. Wear gloves and dust mask when messing with the powder. It's not good to breathe the dust, and it is very hard to clean off whatever it touches.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top