Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2017 11:05:22 PM EDT
I'll start by saying cleaning my rifles is one of my least favorite things to do, and I find joy in letting them run and run when filthy. That said, I decided it's time to clean DD MK18 10.3" upper. This is a chrome lined barrel that I run suppressed with a surefire 212 100% of the time. I'm unsure the last time I cleaned the rifle but I might estimate in the 1000-1500+ round area.

Working on this upper, I've got some kind of fouling in the first 1.5-2" of the rifling that looks almost like sandpaper. It appears to be rough in texture and dark colored. I've been working on things almost 2 weeks now in the evenings. I've used a combination of foaming bore cleaner that continues to come out blue/ black, sweets 762 with a nylon brush and hoppes 9 that soaks over night or scrubbed with a brass brush.

It seems no matter what I do, I can't get the fouling out of the first couple inches of rifling. I assume it's carbon but geez it's like I'm making zero progress. Any thoughts on how I can get that out of the chamber?

I'd love to put up a pic, but I can't get the lighting to work out where my phone can capture an image. Any ideas are appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Ultrasonic cleaner?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried a brass brush?

Suppressors Sunday a ton of burnt powder back down the bore when a case is extracted.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you tried a brass brush?

Suppressors Sunday a ton of burnt powder back down the bore when a case is extracted.
View Quote
Yes, I've been using a brash brush with hoppes 9 occasionally. It seems like I've seen some improvement, but the amount of improvement has dramatically slowed.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top