Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2017 12:08:44 AM EDT
I have a newer nylon-coated J Dewey cleaning rod in the 24" length used for my 16" AR.

I wasn't planning on it but recently picked up a 24" barreled bolt action and would like to use the same rod.

Does anyone offer just a simple 12" nylon-coated cleaning rod extension?

I just want some extra length so I can use the same rod on both guns. Plus my case is not big enough for a single 36" rod (both guns fit but my bolt action sticks out the top).

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Not that I know of.  I just bought multiple different lengths myself to accommodate my different length uppers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I've taken segments from my old brass 3 piece rod and added them to my carbon (Tipton) rods.  Not coated, but the brass is pretty safe.  I think if people are using coated rods they aren't going to want an extra threaded connection, so unlikely anyone makes a segmented rod that is coated or carbon fibre.
Subsequently I've bought different, longer rods so I don't have to add segments.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I'll try that temporarily until I buy the 36" version. I had one brass rod from an Otis kit but it appears to be different threading and I didn't want to force it. See if I can find a different one.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you will have to buy a second rod.  If need a rod to fit the case, I'd put a brass segment in with your 24" rod and keep the 36" at home.  I'm assuming you want it to fit the case for portability/taking it to the range?
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top