Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/24/2017 3:25:05 PM EDT
For those wondering how clean the AR can be if you use grease on only the contact points.

This is after 7 magazines...Or a standard combat load.

I should have gotten a picture of the bolt tail, but there practically no buildup visible.

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I get the question.
But why would someone use grease?
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I get the question.
View Quote

Why not use grease?

It stays put, doesn't run or spray out when shot, and lubricates within a wide range of temps.

My current is rated for -75 to 450.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks about like mine when I use SLIP 2000, or Lucas Extreme.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the idea of grease.  Stays put, thicker film of protection.  But you don't get the cool smokescreen effect.    Grease on the carrier makes a lot of sense.  Oil in places you can't get grease into (or if you're not gonna disassemble something).
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I used this as a guide for years, using grease and Break Free. (I think. It may have been something else.)

Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks about like mine when I use SLIP 2000, or Lucas Extreme.
View Quote

Those pics are Pre wipedown just fyi.

That's fresh from the range and disassembled.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Those pics are Pre wipedown just fyi.

That's fresh from the range and disassembled.
View Quote

That's what I assumed seeing there is carbon buildup on it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Superlube white clearish grease on my bolt and carrier. It just stays there and works flawlessly when I need it to. Cleans up super easy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I started using breakthrough grease on the rails of the BCG and my handguns. Clean up is much easier and it doesn't run.
Win/win.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been using tw25b and really like it. Cleans up nicely too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use Superlube white clearish grease on my bolt and carrier. It just stays there and works flawlessly when I need it to. Cleans up super easy.
View Quote

Yep. Superlube grease with PTFE.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really all I use on handguns.

Works fine on ARs in more moderate weather conditions, but as it gets down to zero it gets pretty sluggish. I've used Superlube's oil, TW25b, and FP-10 with good results in very cold temps.

If your firearm is going to get wet or submerged, the superlube is great since it just sits there, doesn't wash off at all.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I use grease more then oils on 90% of my guns, it stays put and wipes off nicely.

One thing I do now is stay away from anything with gun or tactical in the lable as 99% is repackaged and sold for more money.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have read on several sites that grease is the way to go for the BCG, but I have never tried it. I have Slip 2000 EWL and WeaponShield lubes that I currently use.

I have a jar of "super lithium ep moly grease" and may give it a try soon. It is what I use on my barrel threads and other stuff around the garage.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I get the question.
View Quote

A lot of first time grease users tend to use too much grease and apply it to unneeded areas. This causes debris to attach and also makes it much harder to clean. You only need to apply the grease on the friction surfaces and it takes a bit of education and knowledge about your firearm to do properly.

Most grease, including the Mobil1 grease, you only apply enough to see a shiny surface/very thin layer. Using a brush, q-tip, or applicator of some sort will really help. It's tempting to just take a big dip in the jar but if you only use what you need and apply it only to the places required, a single jar of grease will last for years, maybe decades. You'll also find that your firearm doesn't wear out as fast and on top of that you'll be able to run 1000s of rounds before the lube is burnt off or go. Regular oil will never be able to accomplish what a small dab of grease would do.

I think once you learn the fine art of applying grease properly, you'll really like it. Not only that, I think knowing the proper operation and how parts are moving will be a great educational experience.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#16]

You know that the "G" stands for generous in that diagram, not grease, right?

Nick
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A lot of first time grease users tend to use too much grease and apply it to unneeded areas. This causes debris to attach and also makes it much harder to clean. You only need to apply the grease on the friction surfaces and it takes a bit of education and knowledge about your firearm to do properly.

Most grease, including the Mobil1 grease, you only apply enough to see a shiny surface/very thin layer. Using a brush, q-tip, or applicator of some sort will really help. It's tempting to just take a big dip in the jar but if you only use what you need and apply it only to the places required, a single jar of grease will last for years, maybe decades. You'll also find that your firearm doesn't wear out as fast and on top of that you'll be able to run 1000s of rounds before the lube is burnt off or go. Regular oil will never be able to accomplish what a small dab of grease would do.

I think once you learn the fine art of applying grease properly, you'll really like it. Not only that, I think knowing the proper operation and how parts are moving will be a great educational experience.
View Quote

Yep, This is how I apply grease to my BCG.

The Bolt Support ring gets a thin layer of grease:

Rear of Bolt lugs get a thin layer of grease:

Cam Pin wear points get a thin layer of grease:

Bolt Carrier Guide Rails get a thin layer of grease:

Areas of receiver that the guide rails are on, and the part of the receiver where the cam pin rids get a thin layer of grease:

I also apply a thin layer on the bottom of the carrier where the hammer rides(Not pictured).
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#18]
+1 On the super lube grease!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm with OP, here.

While I am a bit more generous with my grease, I get pretty much the same results.

No junk flung all over the inside of the rifle. Just wipe it off and it's clean. The inside of the BC and the bolt tail still need some scraping, but no big deal.

It took about 1300 rounds to get sluggish in moderate temps, rounds spread over 3 months. So the powder residue and grease had plenty of time to sit and oxidize and break down. At 1500 rounds it didn't really appreciate a couple rounds of Wolf (steel case), and I was done shooting for the day. Called it quits.

1500 rounds (wolf gold, ae223), no stoppages. Everything wiped out clean.

$5/tube walmart grease... I've used 1/8 of the tube in 2 years.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I just use Break Free CLP and it looks about the same. I don't see a need for grease in an AR, like the M1/M14 require, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's really all I use on handguns.

Works fine on ARs in more moderate weather conditions, but as it gets down to zero it gets pretty sluggish. I've used Superlube's oil, TW25b, and FP-10 with good results in very cold temps.

If your firearm is going to get wet or submerged, the superlube is great since it just sits there, doesn't wash off at all.
View Quote
I've been using Superlube for a several years now. Concerned about cold temp freeze up, on a 25-30 degree below winter morning a few years back, I pulled it out of the trunk of my Crown Vic. I took it into the backyard and fired a couple rounds.....no problem, no worries. Topped off my mag and back into the trunk it went.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#22]
im mean to mine, i squirt some mobil 1 gear oil in there and run them for 2k, hose them off with brake clean and do it again.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I always used grease.

The surprise was when I first read threads/responses with 'what?  oil dude!"

The first graphic is pretty close to what I do.

In BCG pre-assembly I put some grease on my fingers and rub it onto components.

Post assembly I continue to use grease on the accessible areas with oil on the other areas, in this case exactly like the graphic.

Semis also get light grease.

Revolvers get oil
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You know that the "G" stands for generous in that diagram, not grease, right?

Nick
View Quote
I'd never considered that it meant anything else. Even when I saw it earlier in this thread my mind computed the "G" to mean "generous". When I came to your comment, I had what normally would have been one of those "mind blown" moments. Those times when something glaringly obvious was right in front of my face, but I never realized it. Like all these years I've been thinking that was generous when really it meant grease.

However, I say "would have been" because, well, generous is the correct signification. The funny thing is that one could have always read it as "grease", used exactly that, and likely never experienced a problem. Half-mind blown.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I use the best of both worlds.

Slip EWL 30.

Barrel gets slip 2000 ewl oil but I will also cost the inside of my upper with slip 2k grease.

Slip 2000 ewl+ Slip greased sides+ cerakote is a pretty slick setup.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#26]

From the AR lube points sticky.  Cites it is from Army operator's manual.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny, we use that stuff at my work all the time for our machines. Never thought to use it on my gun!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#28]
TW-25B.  Works on Dillon's; works on everything I own.  Just clean with alcohol before application.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Why not use grease?

It stays put, doesn't run or spray out when shot, and lubricates within a wide range of temps.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get the question.

Why not use grease?

You live in TX, try that up here...

Grease can be used, so can Vagasil... You're not the first to use it, Others have done red axle grease and a myriad of combinations...So no cookie.

A small squeeze bottle of oil works much easier then grease.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Grease can be used, so can Vagasil... You're not the first to use it, Others have done red axle grease and a myriad of combinations...So no cookie.

View Quote
I use a small squeeze bottle of grease  

Bought a 10 pack on amazon for ~$3 and filled them myself.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have read on several sites that grease is the way to go for the BCG, but I have never tried it. I have Slip 2000 EWL and WeaponShield lubes that I currently use.

I have a jar of "super lithium ep moly grease" and may give it a try soon. It is what I use on my barrel threads and other stuff around the garage.
View Quote
I like using WeaponShield oil and grease on all my guns. Though, the creator has said not to use grease on ARs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
What makes WI so special that grease immediately stops working on guns?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What makes WI so special that grease immediately stops working on guns?
View Quote
It probably gets a tad cool there in the winter (like when you go hunting)  Grease thickens up when the temp goes down.  Thicker grease slows down the BCG (and whatever else you put it on) and cold air also messes with your gas system too making it weaker so combine those two and you get get an expensive oddly shaped club out of the deal.

I use Lucas gun oil on mine, just cause I haven't tried anything else.  It can get pretty cold here too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It probably gets a tad cool there in the winter (like when you go hunting)  Grease thickens up when the temp goes down.  Thicker grease slows down the BCG (and whatever else you put it on) and cold air also messes with your gas system too making it weaker so combine those two and you get get an expensive oddly shaped club out of the deal.

I use Lucas gun oil on mine, just cause I haven't tried anything else.  It can get pretty cold here too.
View Quote
That is why you use a good grease that doesn't lock up at low temps.

I have tested my Super Lube grease down to 30*F and it still performed fine, with no issues.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Try -5F.

Now granted, I don't often shoot when its that cold... but I want to know if I have to or want to... its going to run.. I've never needed to use grease in AR's in many years, I'm not seeing any compelling reason to now, other then to be different.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Try -5F.

Now granted, I don't often shoot when its that cold... but I want to know if I have to or want to... its going to run.. I've never needed to use grease in AR's in many years, I'm not seeing any compelling reason to now, other then to be different.
View Quote
I use it because it seems to take longer to "dry up" in storage.  CLP seems to magically vanish after a couple months for me, although I admittedly haven't done a controlled test and it could be longer than that.  It's also possible it's still there and not visible.  I live in TX and use an NLGI 0 viscosity, so am not worried at all about grease freezing up, and it seems to stick around longer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I get the question.
View Quote
Because it is the correct lubricant.  Oil is for closed systems, ie engines, transmissions etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I use Slip2000 EWG grease on just the contact rails of the BCG.  I used to smear it all over the BCG, but then during cleaning I noticed that the extra grease on the back end was untouched, so I knew that this area didn't need to be greased.  I also apply it to the bolt at the gas rings, the contact ring, and around the bolt lugs.  That's it.  I live in Houston so freezing temps are never a problem.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Because it is the correct lubricant.  Oil is for closed systems, ie engines, transmissions etc.
View Quote
Grease is intended for closed systems also, or systems providing a fresh supply of grease to keep the contaminated grease flushed out.  An AR-15 provides neither.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get the question.
say's who??
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
say's who??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get the question.
say's who??
Anyone who has studied in the lubricity engineering arts.

I never understood using oil on a non closed system.  Oil leaking out from slides, pins etc isn't doing anyone any good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I never understood using oil on a non closed system.  Oil leaking out from slides, pins etc isn't doing anyone any good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get the question.
say's who??

I'll stack that against 30 plus years of real world, hands on experience shooting a shit load of 5.56 thru AR's...

You can listen to all the Lubricity engineers...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like grease and am a mechanical engineer, but this post almost makes me want to switch to oil.  Oil is used in non closed systems all the time, it migrates easily to hard to reach areas, and is easy to apply.  How is that hard to understand?  Do you grease your door hinges?  What about bike chains?

Studied in the lubricity engineering arts...  We aren't talking about kung fu styles here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I like grease and am a mechanical engineer, but this post almost makes me want to switch to oil.  Oil is used in non closed systems all the time, it migrates easily to hard to reach areas, and is easy to apply.  How is that hard to understand?  Do you grease your door hinges?  What about bike chains?

Studied in the lubricity engineering arts...  We aren't talking about kung fu styles here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly...

What all the lab coat experts don't tell you is grease does not displace dirt and debris. Oil will.
Everyone looks for a short cut... because its so hard to take a small squirt bottle and add some oil.

I ran multiple 3 day carbine courses over the years, rd counts were 1200-1500 rds in those 3 day courses. Squirt of oil in the morning....squirt of oil at lunch...gun ran great.

oil works... it moves dirt and debris from high friction area's... and its easy to apply quickly and gets where it needs to be.  
You can carry a small bottle in a storage grip or VFG. And you can get it anywhere their is an internal combustion motor.

I remember a few years back.. Yeager and his followers were touting the use of bearing / axle grease... It was the best thing since sliced bread they said....

Some just like to be different for the sake of being different.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Try -5F.

View Quote
Did guns like the M1 lock up during winter in WWII?

Grease was commonly used in semi auto/automatic rifles then.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Exactly...

What all the lab coat experts don't tell you is grease does not displace dirt and debris. Oil will.
Everyone looks for a short cut... because its so hard to take a small squirt bottle and add some oil.

I ran multiple 3 day carbine courses over the years, rd counts were 1200-1500 rds in those 3 day courses. Squirt of oil in the morning....squirt of oil at lunch...gun ran great.

oil works... it moves dirt and debris from high friction area's... and its easy to apply quickly and gets where it needs to be.  
You can carry a small bottle in a storage grip or VFG. And you can get it anywhere their is an internal combustion motor.

I remember a few years back.. Yeager and his followers were touting the use of bearing / axle grease... It was the best thing since sliced bread they said....

Some just like to be different for the sake of being different.
View Quote
Geissele makes grease now and most here are lapping that up like it's the next big thing in lubrication.

As to 3 day courses...Done those and grease worked fine. Wipe out the upper and BCG at night, reapply grease and I'm good for the day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, even with oil, the military is supposed to supply a different formula of clp for arctic conditions.

The grease does get gummy (IME) after about 500 rounds, but was still functioning perfectly at 1500. Wolf steel even locked the bolt back.

After 500 rounds you probably need to put a touch more oil on there, but it'll probably run no problem to 1000, if not more.

Realistically, neither out performs the other in any significant fashion given the operating conditions of a typical ar15.

However, I find 4 distinct advantages to using grease. First, it stays put, especially important on a weapon you trust your life. Second, it is typically *rated* to lubricate better than oils. Third, I have yet to see hydrophobic oils that the average idiot can go buy at the store (please introduce me to a product if you have one). Fourth, it cleans easier IME, just wipe it out any everything is clean.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Brake cleaner!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#49]
I use brake cleaner when she gets really messy. Not necessary if I shot less than about 300 rounds. Below that, paper towels wipe everything right out, no cleaners needed.

Because of muh feels I don't use grease as an external rust inhibitor, I go with clp for that still. I don't want grease all over my hands, safe, and gun cases. Knowing the clp "disappears" after a few months also gives me reason to pull then out and wipe them down, do a little fondling and dry firing. If it was for long term storage, my attitude would change.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have been running mine the same way.  No issues for the last 10 years except when I tried Froglube.  Remember when that was all the rage?

The coldest I have shot in was 10° F and it worked fine.  Just keep the film of grease nice and thin and you won't have any issues.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top