Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2017 1:37:18 PM EDT
I know this question has been asked before, but the topic has been archived without really being answered.  Everywhere I read says that Hoppe's bore snakes have BRONZE bristles, but my refrigerator magnet says otherwise!  Are these bristles really just bronze coated STEEL?  (BTW...I sent an inquiry to Hoppe's and am also awaiting an answer.)
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#1]
bronze bristles twisted in a steel insert maybe? (that holds the bristles)

i use bore snakes all the time and have not noticed any ill effects.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Like he said, probably an insert holding the bristles made of steel.

Google up stuck bore snake.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Hoppes says they are bronze. I believe them.  If you are concerned about the brush damaging your barrel, just pound them down making sure they are pointed rearward.
I do this or remove them altogether (royal PITA) for use in air guns.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome to the site.
View Quote

Again

And.. I've never had a bore snake damage a barrel.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Non issue.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I doubt my bore snakes do as much damage, if any, compared to the steel case ammo a couple of my rifles see, which is also a non issue.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#8]
No, Just plain NO.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#9]
We can agree that the typical 5.56 ar15 barrel is subjected to a chunk of copper being pushed down that barrel by no less than 10kpsi ending in excess of 3kfps. Did I mention it must be ungodly hot in there?

Some people even use bullets that are steel jacketed (albeit very soft steel). These bullets may not be going quite as fast, but for all intents and purposes, it's just as hot, just as pressured, and just as fast.

And you're sitting here wondering if some bits of bronze/brass being pulled through your barrel by hand, likely with some (albeit not very good) lube, is going to damage the damn barrel...

Seriously guys? A glorified shoelace is not going to mess up your barrel!

A valid discussion would be whether or not the glorified machinegun shoelace actually CLEANS the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know this question has been asked before, but the topic has been archived without really being answered.  Everywhere I read says that Hoppe's bore snakes have BRONZE bristles, but my refrigerator magnet says otherwise!  Are these bristles really just bronze coated STEEL?  (BTW...I sent an inquiry to Hoppe's and am also awaiting an answer.)
View Quote

I would find it highly unlikely that Hoppes would answer back that their product damages the bore. It's highly unlikely a company would knowingly advertise that their product breaks something.

Perhaps someone could explain this recent trend of people coming on asking about if boresnakes damages your bore? Is there some sort of new "article" out there telling people to avoid boresnakes? Sort of like the on that says Fireclean is veggie oil?

The only caution I ever heard regarding boresnakes are the cheap Chinese clones that are sold on eBay. Those might damage your bore because the bristles are of unknown quality/material. However the most likely result would be that the boresnake snaps off mid barrel causing you to resort to tools to hit it out. If you bought the boresnake at a store, then you are fine. The only word of caution is that the boresnake may break off and get stuck in the barrel. If that happens you will have to use caution in taking it out. That might potentially damage your barrel if you try to take it out using the wrong tools.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the welcome and answers, guys!  Even tho I agree with you that it's a non-issue, I'm going to ditch my "magnetic" bronze-brushed bore snakes and go back to true/pure bronze cleaning rods with bronze brushes and loops.  The core of the bristles is twisted steel and could poke thru the sheath of a worn bore snake.  Not good...IMO.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Bore snakes are good for a quick clean at the range or when you are feeling lazy.

In my non-scientific testing they do not get the barrel very clean, as claimed.

Since I enjoy cleaning my guns as much as shooting them I use a Tipton carbon rod and patches. I use bore snakes occasionally to start the process of cleaning.

I bought my bore snakes off eBay. My buddy bought Hoppe's ones in Cabela's. We were comparing them and they look identical right down to the stitching. I would bet they are made in the same sweat shop in China.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#13]
So, you're not worried that the twisted steel brush core (sharp!) could eventually poke out and drag along the inside of your barrel bore...especially when you're giving the draw cord a hefty tug?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had Hoppes bore snakes since they came out. Never had a problem with my rifles (or pistols) and the 22 cal snake has seen ungodly amounts of carbon and use. Still works just fine after years of use...

Btw, I only use them for quick cleaning between more thorough means, ie brass rod, brass jags, and brass core brushes to really get shit clean.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#15]
My video on YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEAwRp4Z2bY
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#16]
No more so than what a bullet flying at 3,000 FPS can do.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#17]
i use bore snakes all the time and have not noticed any ill effects.
View Quote

Same. And I use the cheap knockoffs as well as I can buy 3 of them for the price of a name brand & they function & look exactly the same.

For cleaning they seem to get my barrels clean enough.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Bullets aren't made of steel, tho.  Plus, ever steel cased ammo is lacqered.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:05:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Steel cases don't go down the barrel. However, steel case typically has a bullet that uses a steel jacket which is then copper plated. It's very soft steel, about the most garbage steel you can find. Still harder than copper so it will wear faster. Whether or not the wear is acceptable for the cost savings (buying more expensive ammo or a replacement barrel), is going to be a personal choice. This topic has been beaten to death way too many times.

Another option is that you could INSPECT the snake before/after using it. I guarantee that you will get your money's worth before the thing wears out. You'll get your value from it saving time and effort when you don't need a super in depth cleaning.

I have a 5.56 snake that I got second hand a couple years ago. Unknown how much it got used before hand. It's lived it's life with my soaked in clp/rbc, it's been pulled through the bores of hundreds of rifles, many times. I use it nearly every time I shoot an AR on my own time. It's had easily one thousand pulls and not showing any wear.

By the time and effort it has saved me, and the hundreds of other guys that I let use on their rifles, it was worth $20.

Again, it's not a replacement for the cleaning rod, it's a totally different tool.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So, you're not worried that the twisted steel brush core (sharp!) could eventually poke out and drag along the inside of your barrel bore...especially when you're giving the draw cord a hefty tug?
View Quote

I mean so long as you're always pulling it through the barrel, I don't see how it can protrude in such a angle. It's always wise to inspect things before using it. I don't see how in normal use that could happen. If anything using a rod/brush could damage the barrel more so than the snake could.

Even if it did poke out, it's very doubtful it would damage the barrel in anyway.

I guess the real question is what exactly are you worried about? Supposed the boresnake breaks as you say, and scratches your barrel. Then what? What is the worry when that happens?

If you're really worried about the bore snake having steel in it, perhaps get a Otis Rip cord instead. I been using that to clean my rifles a lot more than the Boresnakes. I just use the boresnakes at the range before coming home. With a Otis Ripcord, you can put whatever brush you want on it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#21]
the center steel part is much smaller in diameter than the bore, and it is completely surrounded by the bronze bristles, which should "self-center" as you pull it down the bore and keep the steel part well away from your barrel's inner surfaces.  

The only time it would be a concern is if the bronze bristles are worn to the point of being gone, at which time it's time to replace the snake anyway.

Really it's no different from most brush heads used on a cleaning rod, those have steel "cores" too.

Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey OP, I just checked for you and the Otis Ripcord does not stick to a magnet. You can attach whatever item you want to it since it has a standard thread adapter to it.

I say get that if you don't trust the snake you have.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I have an Otis ripcord and an Otis cleaning kit. I have not had any issues with my ripcord sticking in my barrel. I put the Otis brass slotted tip on with the round patch with O85 on it and run it though my barrel several times. Works quite well. I also have an memory flex cable that I use as well when I clean my barrel throughly which is not that often.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you're really worried about the bore snake having steel in it, perhaps get a Otis Rip cord instead. I been using that to clean my rifles a lot more than the Boresnakes. I just use the boresnakes at the range before coming home. With a Otis Ripcord, you can put whatever brush you want on it.
View Quote

How does an Otis Rip Chord differ  from a bore snake? How would it be used differently.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How does an Otis Rip Chord differ  from a bore snake? How would it be used differently.
View Quote

Otis ripcord is much different than a bore snake. It is a flexible cable that takes cleaning rod brushes, jags, etc. With a rod you push it through. The ripcord you pull through
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We can agree that the typical 5.56 ar15 barrel is subjected to a chunk of copper being pushed down that barrel by no less than 10kpsi ending in excess of 3kfps. Did I mention it must be ungodly hot in there?

Some people even use bullets that are steel jacketed (albeit very soft steel). These bullets may not be going quite as fast, but for all intents and purposes, it's just as hot, just as pressured, and just as fast.

And you're sitting here wondering if some bits of bronze/brass being pulled through your barrel by hand, likely with some (albeit not very good) lube, is going to damage the damn barrel...

Seriously guys? A glorified shoelace is not going to mess up your barrel!

A valid discussion would be whether or not the glorified machinegun shoelace actually CLEANS the barrel.
View Quote

I agree with this. And I use a bore snake and like the results.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Bronze is a very malleable combination of copper and tin.  This means that there should be no damage created by using a bronze or the more common brass bristled cleaning brushes.  Barrels are made from hardened steel and lined with chrome-moly or some other hardened surface treatment.  All of the common barrel options are going to be longer lasting than the brushes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I say no damage. I like to use at the range if i'm shooting a lot for a quick cleanup.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top