Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 7:50:34 AM EDT
I recently bought a couple of 12oz cans of BreakFree CLP on amazon and noticed a horrible, almost burnt rubber, smell at the range while shooting.  When using the CLP during cleaning/lubricating, there is no smell at all but when you start throwing seeds downrange, oh man it stinks!  Did they change the formula at some point?  I have a 4oz Safariland can of BreakFree CLP and it does NOT smell like this.  Admittedly, this can is over 6 years old, hence why i'm asking if the formula has changed.  Is there a difference between "standard" BreakFree CLP vs. Safariland branded BreakFree?

My Original Can- https://www.amazon.com/Break-Free-Cleaner-Lubricant-Preservative-Aerosol/dp/B0050GW73C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487245779&sr=8-1&keywords=break free clp&tag=vglnk-c102-20

The new stuff I got- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050GW5BQ
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a can that looks like the top one. "Safariland" in red.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Does it smell like burnt rubber tires when you shoot?
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it smell like burnt rubber tires when you shoot?
View Quote

To be honest I tried it and did not think it was good at cleaning or lubing so I never touched it again. I can't answer your question.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been using Safariland CLP for years and I've never noticed any particular odor when the guns get hot.

I may be wrong but I believe they did slightly change the formulation a couple of years ago. I can't recall what changed but I've used new bottles since then and haven't noticed any difference.

Break Free, Hoppes and Kroil take care of 99% of my cleaning/lube needs.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#6]
@ramair2k, where in MA are you?

I would be glad to give you my can of CLP. You can have it and try to see if it smells.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:54:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I may be wrong, but I believe the the acronym CLP is generic, meaning WD40 can make a CLP formula if they wanted.  The difference comes in who makes it.

I have purchased CLP by different manufacturers and one has a great smell, one smells like hell, there is one that Academy Sports sells, maybe Mil-7, that also works good...and unless I am wrong, is called a CLP.

My current can of "CLP" is made by Break Free.  It cones out very foamy, has an OK smell, works good for quick lubrication at the range.  My current lubes are Slip and Wilson Combat.  I have been using Wilson since 2001 when I purchased my first Rock River Arms 1911 and have been very satisfied since.  

Just my thoughts, correct me if I am wrong.  Years back there was a fad lube that smelled just like dead fish, I am not kidding, I quit using it.  I found a spray lube that is made locally to me, Safari Charlie's, that I have been using it as a spray cleaner and really works good.  Makes an excellent cleaner for bolts and real dirty parts.  

After my guns are cleaned or when I get home from the range, they all get wiped down with Birchwood Caseys Shield, used to be called Sheath.

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Every oil will have some sort of smell to it after shooting. I recall Breakfree back when I used it heavily, and I would say I like the smell. It has a unique smell when you first fire it. I don't associate it with burnt plastic, but I believe the chemical make up could be the culprit.

As far as my worst smelling lube would have to go with Froglube. I recall I gave it a nice coat in the barrel, and after shooting, wowzers, it smelled like rotten sewage. The good news is if you completely wipe off the froglube after applying it, the smell wouldn't be present.

My next worst smelling item is a coat of LSA in the barrel.

I guess everyone got their own stories.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a can of BF  clp from wally world recently. It was foamy when sprayed and was slicker than  cans years back . I miss the breakfree from the 80's. But it's probably better now . WD
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea it goes on sorta foamy and after the foam settles, it's oily.  No complaints there, only the way it smells once you start shooting it.  Smells like burnt tires
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top