Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/30/2017 6:51:16 PM EDT
What kind and where do you recommend lubricants on my build?  I have Hoppe gun oil.  I know the barrel and stock should be greased...what do you recommend?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Start here.

Link
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What kind and where do you recommend lubricants on my build?  I have Hoppe gun oil.  I know the barrel and stock should be greased...what do you recommend?  Thanks.
View Quote

Hooo boy.  You will get a lot of opinions on this.  Seems like there are a lot of actually good choices out there.  Slip 2000. Hoppes, ALG Go Juice, Mobil 1, Fireclean... I've tried them all.  Right now I'm using the ALG Go Juice which is quite a good lubricant.  Fireclean was also really good and helps clean up better than Go Juice (carbon doesn't stick as much), but it seems like Go Juice lubricates better and doesn't gum up like the others if you don't shoot or clean your gun for several weeks.  Slip 2000 was also really good but Fireclean seemed better to me.  I tried Mobil 1 one time and it was ok, too, just didn't clean up as well.  Right now, I would say the Go Juice - no science behind that opinion, mind you.  I shoot my AR's pretty wet so YMMV.

That lubrication guide that Tig linked for you above is what I follow.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Come on, you don't need no lube!

Hell, I went out to shoot the other day and forgot to lube a new BCG, so I looked around the truck and found a little squirt can of 3 in one and it worked just fine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start here.

Link
View Quote
this.

I use wheel bearing grease and oil made by steel shield technologies, the same company that makes http://weaponshield.com/  Its not a huge company but they have a military contract and are located near my work.  tons of guys on here use it.

here is a picture of all their products. 
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hell, I went out to shoot the other day and forgot to lube a new BCG, so I looked around the truck and found a little squirt can of 3 in one and it worked just fine.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

did something better 2 weeks ago at the range....   pulled the dipstick from my car and used a few drips from that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Start here.

Link
View Quote

Thanks.  How about for assembly?  What should I use for inserting the barrel into the receiver and then on the stock threads?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks.  How about for assembly?  What should I use for inserting the barrel into the receiver and then on the stock threads?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Start here.

Link

supposed to use this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011TCRZ46
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

AEROSHELL 33
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
did something better 2 weeks ago at the range....   pulled the dipstick from my car and used a few drips from that.
View Quote

Motor oil does wonders.

I soak my bcgs in Mobil 1. Quick shake, blast of compressed air, and into the upper. Run em wet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
supposed to use this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011TCRZ46
View Quote

Excellent.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Excellent.  Thanks!
View Quote

Can't go wrong with that.

For the barrel nut I used tetra grease and in other general areas of the build. I forget where I got that from I think the Fulton armory ar15 assembly book. It seems like a good initial product to use so nothing locks up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh this is going to sound crazy but I use red loctite for the extension into the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh this is going to sound crazy but I use red loctite for the extension into the receiver.
View Quote

I've heard of blue loctite on the extension for precision builds.
Never red.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Can't go wrong with that.

For the barrel nut I used tetra grease and in other general areas of the build. I forget where I got that from I think the Fulton armory ar15 assembly book. It seems like a good initial product to use so nothing locks up.
View Quote

Do I need to put any grease on the barrel part that goes into the receiver?  I saw one video show with a grease and another video it went in dry.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#17]
AFAIK Aeroshell 33 does not meet the mil-spec.
You want Aeroshell 33MS which has been renamed (I think) to Aeroshell 64 to avoid the confusion between 33 and 33MS.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Do I need to put any grease on the barrel part that goes into the receiver?  I saw one video show with a grease and another video it went in dry.
View Quote

No. You do not need to grease up the barrel extension, only the threads on the upper receiver itself. If you have trouble inserting the barrel extension into the upper receiver then it would be acceptable to use some light lube to help ease it in.

I recommend lithium grease on the receiver threads. SLIP2000 on the extension if needed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I was referring to earlier. That's called the "extension" of the barrel. I put a dab of red loctite on it and put it into the receiver. It sounds nutty and no, red loctite won't cause it to be any harder to remove but it will help with accuracy a little.

It doesn't need grease and depending on your upper it may just be really easy to go in. I know BCM makes their receiver a little tight while others tend to just slide in very easily.

I recommend picking up the The AR15 complete assembly guide. It will help you much better than coming on the forum (or watching videos from unknown persons) as you'll have opinions from a expert builder who does it for a living: http://www.fulton-armory.com/thear-15completeassemblyguidebuildyourownar-15.aspx

Edit: I should also add that grease and chemicals that you use in your build is not as important as the torque values that you apply. I recommend investing in a proper torque wrench, proper vise, proper ar15 wrench that you can connect to the torque wrench, and block for your build.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Or he can use the build it guides provided free in the build section of ar15.com
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I use grease, because grease is best.

Used sparingly it outperforms oil and doesn't foul up the rifle nearly as much.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't use anything too fancy.  I just a synthetic motor oil for most stuff.  On the barrel nut I use a EP Moly grease you can pick up from any auto parts store.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I actually use this stuff where carbon collects, in the gas key, etc. Carbon comes off easily. Also high bearing areas, 1911 rails, and so forth. better than any petroleum based product I've ever tried.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KH0YDY?tag=vglnk-c102-20

the viscosity stays the same from about -30 to 600. It's not temperature dependent like petroleum based. It's also not messy, it won't stain your clothes, or give you that grungy feeling. At least when it's newly applied. Nor does it run, or harden. And a thin film is virtually a permanent rust protector in storage.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#24]
For AR-15's I spray my BCG wet with Breakfree CLP and wipe off the excess. also lightly coat the charging handle, at the range just before shooting
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
What does the manufacturer of your rifle recommend?

If, like most commercial manufacturers, the recommendation is for a "high quality firearms oil", then you already have it in the Hoppe's gun oil.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Really anything. I stick to superlube grease with PTFE or Royal purple 10w-30.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top