Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2017 12:52:07 AM EDT
And I mean stuck. 1/3 is out of the muzzle and the end of the snake is about an inch past the chamber.  I've tried soaking the snake from both ends with gun oil, yanking on it from my vice block, used gravity and weights and zero movement. No luck with the cleaning rod either. Any help would be appreciated. Peace!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have enough to wrap around a screwdriver shaft?  Secure the barrel and use your bodyweight to lean back gently.  Why do you think it is that stuck that bad??
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you use the wrong snake?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#3]
My question is what was the brand?  Was it a cheap ebay knock off?  or quality brand.

Cause I've never had an issue with mine.  :)  but some solvents can degrade the fibers / fabric on the pull string.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#4]
So it finally happened... The much referred to but not often seen "boresnake stuck in barrel" thread. Many said it was just a legend, where are they now? Lol

If it's partially out you could try a couple of things. If you've got enough out to step on you could try that and pulling up on the barrel. I'd try to keep going from chamber to muzzle if that's the way you started from. When you tried pulling backwards, the bristles probably tried to bend backwards and really pushed against the side.  I doubt that it ruined your barrel though. Also try and see if jerking it helps. If you can keep inching it enough to where the bristles come out you're homefree.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks! Yep, I have enough snake left to do that and couldn't get it to budge. I think it's stuck so badly because I ran the snake through dry. I feel stupid...and pissed. I've tried oiling from both ends but the oil is unable to penetrate even with the rifling. It's a .223 snake from Hoppes...at least I got the caliber right.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:03:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Haha, yep the legend is real. I've been going the chamber to muzzle direction to whole time so the brass threads should be uniformally pointed one way. I keep pulling towards the muzzle end but drop oil in both the chamber and muzzle to try to assist. It's probably worth noting my garage is about 40 degrees. Would heat help or would the metal expansion add more clamping pressure?  Thanks again for your help guys/gals!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:14:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't see the issue. Use some channel locks/vise grips, MT pliers to grab the remaining end and pull it out. How difficult can this be??
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you use the wrong snake?
View Quote

That is what I am thinking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Even being bone dry that doesn't sound right.  I put some Otis solvent stuff on the flat part before the brushes and on the end and my snake has no trouble pulling through.  Rarely do I drop solvent in the barrel before.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I know you may have already done this but I would double check the snakes caliber by looking at the little brass end. It could be that something very close got packaged wrong like a 6mm/.243 snake. Second since you have that vice I'd maybe try to wrap the end that you pull through around it and open the vice to pull it through. Just spitballing. If you could secure the upper and do that I can't imagine it staying put.

I wonder if there isn't something like a piece of jacket left in the barrel or a burr that hooked into the fabric of the bore snake. Whatever happens please keep us updated on what the outcome is, I'm very curious
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Light it on fire?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Light it on fire?
View Quote

I don't believe they are cotton, it would mostly likely melt and be worse.

As everyone else stated, it is most likely the wrong size.  If you can, pull it from the side you inserted it from.  I never lube my snakes.  They are meant for a quick clean to knock crud out.  Lube and cleaners are going to possibly cause the material to deteriorate and break when under pressure.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I would let the oil soak for a bit then wrap what's sticking out around some pliers and pull it out.  

I've pulled mine through dry so I'm curious to see the results... what color is yours?  Can you post a pic of how much is protruding?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My question is what was the brand?  Was it a cheap ebay knock off?  or quality brand.

Cause I've never had an issue with mine.  :)  but some solvents can degrade the fibers / fabric on the pull string.
View Quote

Some time ago I bought the Hoppe's Viper boresnake for .223 thinking it was a "upgrade" from the normal one. The base where it attaches to the snake is very thin. It snapped off one day but luckily it wasn't that far in the barrel and I pulled it out from the opposite end using my hands and some force.

The normal boresnakes work wonderfully but I'm not sure what Hoppe was thinking when they made the viper for the .223.

I have since trusted Otis ripcords since they aren't sewn in and potentially ripping off.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:55:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And I mean stuck. 1/3 is out of the muzzle and the end of the snake is about an inch past the chamber.  I've tried soaking the snake from both ends with gun oil, yanking on it from my vice block, used gravity and weights and zero movement. No luck with the cleaning rod either. Any help would be appreciated. Peace!
View Quote

My advice is to leave it alone for now. Don't try to use all sorts of tools to pull it out and potentially damaging it. I would let the oil soak in and come back to it tomorrow.

I assume the 1/3rd sticking out is the end you are pulling from when it snapped. If you can try to get something that can grip the 1/3rd end so you can pull it. Don't try to reverse it as the brass brush has to go in the opposite direction and a lot harder to do.

Edit: Giving it some thought, are any of the bronze bristle sticking out of the muzzle? If both of the bronze bristles are sticking out of the muzzle, then simply cut them off and pull from the breech end.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Never been a big fan of them.. I'll stick with one piece rods.. I don't clean my barrel that often...
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Never been a big fan of them.. I'll stick with one piece rods.. I don't clean my barrel that often...
View Quote

Brownells sells USGI  steel rods cheap. All I use on my ARs.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#18]
@TeaPartE did you get it unstuck?

I'm sub'd to hear what happened and avoid doing the same.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Pour Hoppes #9 into the bore and leave it for an hour to soak into the boresnake fabric. You should be able to pull it out then.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#20]
lol I really want to know what happened.

You could just fill out the paperwork on a SBR and really take some frustration out on it
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Tie it to a doorknob then slam the door.

Worked on my teeth as a kid, anyway...
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Put the upper in a vice and use a tow strap with a ratchet on it. Guarantee it will come out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, is the large loop already in the chamber?  If not, that will be the most material to pull it back out w/.  If you've got the big end already inside the bbl, chuck the brass end in the vice and start walking.  Hopefully it will come out before it breaks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I finally got it out by hanging approx 60lbs from it (chamber to bore) using my vice. It hung like that for days with oil trying to cut through the snake, rifling and bore...but didn't budge. I used my wheeler guiding rod and bore rods to apply pressure downward. Eventually I had to hammer downward with a large rubber mallet. The snake is 22 cal and pieces of it remained in the bore as if they are snagged on metal in the bore. I have photos and will upload them later. I need to get better lighting for close ups of the snake. Thanks for you help fellas!
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Had the same issue with a Hoppes viper boresnake for .223, luckily I was able to get it out before it got THAT stuck. Tried a different brand, Ultimate Bore Cleaner in .22, it's a little snug at first, but after a few passes it loosened up a bit to a comfortable level. I've used the viper boresnake in other calibers with no issues, the .223 version certainly seems out of spec.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Stop jamming cloth down your bore.. its Unnecessary...
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm glad you were able to get it out !
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#28]
We had something similar happen with an Otis snake in an M16.  Àfter having a couple of big guys tugging on both ends got us nowhere, popped off the upper, inserted one of the cleaning rods, and mortared it on the concrete while the pulled the snake up. Not sure that would have helped on this situation though, without having two people able to apply force in both directions.

Glad you managed to get it out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me neither, all I have ever used is the Otis pull through cables.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And here's the thing.... A good chrome lined AR barrel just does not need a super cleaning after every range session, hell, most barrels don't. I actuality,most shoot better once they are fouled a little bit,

You see this a lot during deer hunt sight in days... shooters come in and heat up a thin profiled barrel with 2-3 boxes of shells and get there zero.. then the go home and clean the barrel. Then on opening day, their cold bore shot (They have no clue what or where that is) is off and they miss, and can't figure out why.

Cleaning the bore after shooting is nothing more then a throw back to the days of corrosive ammo and Military training methodology(That is slow to change).I grew up in part of that institution
Many of you know them, there the guys who told us to stagger our gas rings....Use SPORTS to clear malfunctions...Don't fire a .50cal at troops...Don't over lube cause it "attracts dust"

Now that I no longer work for Uncle Sugar,so I can use reason and logic again and make my own decisions...

I clean them when I want, and it's not very often, and when I do, it's with a 1 piece rod at home, run a few wet patches thru, let the solvent work.. a few passes with a brass brush, and then punch a few dry ones thru. done.

I keep a GI cleaning kit in each of my cases in the event I get a stuck case..

The Snake bore is a great Marketing campaign that made that company a lot of money.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I use this for my barrel like once a year, other than that, i don't clean it.

It smells good too (not as good as aeroshell though)
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm old Corps so I use only USGI type sectional cleaning rods,  an AP brush and chamber brush. And not to forget my good old breakfree clp.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Glad its out, but you say bristles are still jammed in the bore?  That doesnt sound good.

A copper-removing bore solvent should attack the bronze if you ever get a brush stuck again. Because the ammonia gets used up in the corrosion reaction you'd have to refresh/replace the solvent to keep eating away at the bronze.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Is this a new gun? The rifling should be smooth enough as to not catch on a bore snake. Is their a burr where the gas tube hole was drilled?  If so it should go away after shooting it the first time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Glad you got it out  now toss that piece of crap in the garbage and use a normal cleaning rod or Otis pull cable or other good brand.

I prefer the Otis. Been using one for 20 years with no ill effects.

Do what you want of course, my opinion YMMV.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top