Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2017 11:43:18 AM EDT
I'm sure a lot of us have a lot of bottles and containers of various lubricants and cleaning solutions for our ARs and other firearms. Mine stay in a climate controlled basement with good humidity and temperature controls. But I've had most of them for several years at least.

Is there a "shelf life" on these products?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used 10 year old Hoppes, worked fine and smelled as strong as a new bottle. I've never looked for an expiration date on any of it though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
No such date exists in your life time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Generally no, they'll last indefinitely.

Unless you have some weird new biodegradable lube or something.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
"Biodegradable lube"

Oh, you mean my Crisco oil aka FireClean??

LOL
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I know organic and  biodegradable stuff does- M-pro has info on their mds sheet, Frog-lube guy had no idea when I asked him a few years back. Pure tung oil got clumpy after 2 years. I'd say a couple of years, stored in cool/dry/airtight conditions.

Petroleum and synthetics prob last a lot longer.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it depends on the product. My father just gave me his gun cleaning box. In there are a couple of bottles of Gunslick cleaning solution that still seem good. The Big bottle of Hoppes was dried into a solid lump. This stuff is 40 years old or maybe even 50.

I was just given an unopened gallon can of military surplus bore cleaner, Vietnam vintage. The guy who gave it to me had 6 gallons and said he just opened his second one after 40 years in his basement. He said it is still good.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top