Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2017 5:00:29 PM EDT
I have a Fail Zero Nickel Boron EXO M16 Bolt Carrier Group Auto BCG .

I emailed tomstactical.com, this is what I got:

QUESTION:
Fail Zero Nickel Boron EXO M16 Bolt Carrier Group Auto BCG
I have a ultrasonic cleaner.
What solution would you recommend for cleaning this bolt?

Thanks,
Mark

ANSWER:
Sorry I am not familiar with the ultrasonic cleaner.
tomstactical
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I ultrasonic mine all the time.

1 time I broke an extractor spring, so no I pull that off and toss the rest in. Other than that it's the best way I've found to clean them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ultrasonic mine all the time.

1 time I broke an extractor spring, so no I pull that off and toss the rest in. Other than that it's the best way I've found to clean them.
View Quote

What solution did you use for cleaning this bolt?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What solution did you use for cleaning this bolt?
View Quote

I use Hornady's solutions. They work, it's easy to store, and to me it's very cost effective.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you guys worry about rust after cleaning them?  Any special procedures to
dry them out?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you guys worry about rust after cleaning them?  Any special procedures to
dry them out?
View Quote

Dry and re-oil.

Been doing it about 2yrs and haven't had any issues with rusting.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.slip2000.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60226
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried using one of the Harbor Freight Ultrasonic cleaners, the Lyman solution, distilled water and hot. It was a joke. The Harbor Freight model I have to say is a real POS, not that I am surprised. It is basically a noise maker. Your parts, or whatever come out about the same as if you put them in the same chemical bath and just shook it. I still had to scrub and wipe everything clean.

If you are going to go Ultrasonic spend the money for one that does more than makes noise.

When done rinse it with water and use a blow gun to dry. then oil it up. You will be fine.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as you pull afterwards,  you should be fine.  No rusting if you get everything.   Blast a bit of air to get the solution is a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Try warm (hot) water in the cleaner, parts in a freezer strength ZipLoc bag with just enough Simple Green Pro (purple) to cover. Non-corrosive and cheap enough. On BCG and especially bolts, I'll use it full strength.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a small rectangular cake pan from the Dollar Store and fill it will mineral spirits and put my bcg in it. Let is stand for 15 minutes or so and it will come out clean.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top