Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2016 1:27:30 PM EDT
So I'm thinking about buying a Tipton carbon fiber rod for my rifles and plan on using some pretty strong bore solvent/copper solvent and I was wondering if I could do so with a carbon fiber rod or if the solvents will eat away and destroy it. Anybody know?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm thinking about buying a Tipton carbon fiber rod for my rifles and plan on using some pretty strong bore solvent/copper solvent and I was wondering if I could do so with a carbon fiber rod or if the solvents will eat away and destroy it. Anybody know?
View Quote

It would be a pretty poor design if they chose a plastic that would be damaged be bore solvent.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a Tipton CF rod.  Sweets, Hoppes, CLP, powder blast, have not harmed it.

Sweets will degrade your bronze bore brushes if you don't spray it off (w/ CLP) after using it.

ETA:  The Tipton rod is a great tool.  I bought one on sale and I can honestly day I'd pay full price if I had to.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depending on the solvent(s), yes..
But not the solvent(s) you've mentioned.  I doubt you'll be using 1,1,1 or MEK to try and clean your bore.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top