Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2016 4:04:53 PM EDT
So I'm cleaning my AR today and noticed some burs on the Bolt Carrier. Sorry, I'll post a pic of it later. But my question is, should I try and file them down or get a new Bolt Carrier.  If I do file it down, should I also sand it afterwards with a fine grit sandpaper? If so, what grit?
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Normally I remove burrs with a needle file or india stone and might use both.
I would not say the carrier must be replaced, but use a little cold blue.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say it depends on where these burrs are at on the carrier and how bad they are.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe try some 2000 grit sandpaper if you don't have an India stone or something similar.
I have used hard Arkansas stones, fine grit sandpaper, or very fine files to remove burrs with success.
Whatever you use, be careful to work slowly and do not use too much pressure. Remove only the material that is the problem.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I'm cleaning my AR today and noticed some burs on the Bolt Carrier. Sorry, I'll post a pic of it later. But my question is, should I try and file them down or get a new Bolt Carrier.  If I do file it down, should I also sand it afterwards with a fine grit sandpaper? If so, what grit?
View Quote

Before you start sanding away, just how big are these burrs?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Im still waiting for the picture to be posted.

I think the bigger question is why is there burs or what is causing them.
For example, are you shooting your own reloads? Are you removing the case lube after resizing? (Bolt slamming after the round not expanding and holding secure in the chamber properly, can slam the bolt back.) as an example.
I dunno, Im just saying, there is something causing the bur... is there a defect in the upper?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends on where it is.
I have had them twice on the back of the bolt carrier and it was messing up the buffer face.
So I just take it down with a light touch of the dremel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I dress post-staking burrs and proud areas with the stones and diamond sleeves from a Spyderco Sharp-maker that I've had for years.  Touch-ups with cold blue paste hide the shiny leftover marks well enough but IMO are not really needed.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top