Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2016 1:37:21 AM EDT
Hi all, title says it all. I'm kind of torn on BF CLP, on the one hand, it's pretty available and doesn't reek. On the other hand I've only ever had jams in my firearms when I happened to be using it. Now it's not like there were that many and it might not have been the lubes fault but it's still in the back of my mind. Am I crazy? haha Also feel like it should be pretty good because the military uses it, but it's come to my attention that they may have moved away from it recently. So while we're at it does anybody know what any of the branches of the military use for cleaning??

Also should throw in there, that I was getting a lot of jams with an old marlin 22 semi auto a few months ago and I had lightly lubed it with BF and so for kicks I cleaned and lubed it with Ballistol and put another 500 rounds through it and had much less jams. Now I also was much more liberal with the ballistol so that could have made the difference too. Thoughts??
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
CLP IMO is the military's solution (pun?) to having a bunch of people who know very little about firearms (let alone their weapon(s)) clean weapons:  just use one thing for everything.

There are better options out there.

ETA:  I don't know if CLP is current issue, but we're not using it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#2]
My experience is that EWL does everything CLP does, and stays on the parts much longer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#3]
As KillerB6 alluded to, CLP isn't great at anything, but it's serviceable for everything.

For simplicity's sake it's what I use on all my firearms. I squirt some at the range to lube, some on the workbench for cleaning, and some on the guns that don't leave the safe often to protect. That said, I've heard great things about Slip EWL for years and may give it a go when I run out of CLP next.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Been using all kinds of oils over the years, no issues with any of them.

Currently, Army supply chain has G96 CLP, a synthetic lube.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
the military went with CLP because it's a all-in-one product that cleans and lubes in all temperature ranges. thereby eliminating the need to have several lubricates for a variety of temperature ranges. logistical and dollar wise it makes more sense to have one product then several that can be used in different climatic conditions. it's also something a soldiers can carry one small bottle with him to clean and lube his rifle in the field,  then carrying 2 different products.

it has done the job when I was in the army for better then 15 years when it was introduced in the 1980s, so I'll still use it on my rifles and pistols
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
for a quick clean or a spritz to keep something going at the range, i still have CLP (also take it along in a small 1-oz bottle if i'm traveling and not in my car).  for detailed cleaning, i like hoppe's elite in the small spray bottle (bores, when it's time to clean them, get wipe-out tactical advantage).  for lube after a detailed cleaning, it's typically a little red walmart grease in certain spots, and synthetic oil (i believe currently Total 5W30 as it's VW507.00 compliant/DPF safe, and what i use in my TDi) in others.

CLP works okay for everything, but you may use a bit more elbow grease with the brushes to get stuff as clean as it can be.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I typically use CLP, I know there's better stuff out there but it's always worked good enough for me and it's easily found locally. For really dirty guns I like Gun Scrubber too, but that stuff has really harsh fumes and I'll only use it outdoors. You've gotta be careful with Gun Scrubber, it'll take some finishes off and until fairly recently when they reformulated it it could melt polymer parts.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]
did the new owners of Break Free CLP take all the good stuff out,  teflon or something like that?

the old formula was great for me, i switched to mobil 1 after that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I use TW25b. It's great stuff for lubrication. I won't use something for lubrication that has a solvent mixed in with it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like Gun Scrubber too, but that stuff has really harsh fumes and I'll only use it outdoors.
View Quote

I  used BRAKE CLEANER, in the nooks and crannies of firearms. and it's the same as GUNSCRUBBER, except much cheaper
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
did the new owners of Break Free CLP take all the good stuff out,  teflon or something like that?

View Quote

Same. I use CLP to clean and Mobil 1 to lube/protect
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, they still have the teflon in it you just can't see it like in the old stuff.   I disliked the old stuff because the teflon always formed a big sludge pile on the bottom of the bottle.  Took incessant shaking to get it evenly distributed again.

I remember reading somewhere they have however decreased the solvent content over the years.  Not a problem for me as when I need a solvent I'll use a solvent.

One thing I really like about CLP is its penetrating ability. It really does migrate into all the small inaccessible places. And it's rust prevention capabilities have served me well.

You really can't go wrong with CLP...,. or the many other wonder lubes out there... and even Mobil 1.

I'd just caution anyone to stay away from the plant based oils. They tend to freeze up in low temps easier.  Also they tend to oxidize over time and gum stuff up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Right well that's the other thing I was kind of thinking. It's winter up here in Northern WI. It gets pretty cold and I need something that will not freeze. I sort of liked ballistol but I'm not sure how it would do in the cold. Plus the stuff STINKS! I always am hacking up a lung when I used it. So I've gone back to CLP but the  jamming issues have always been on my mind. I do generally like CLP type products though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I used the Breakfree CLP for 30 years in the Army and also used it exclusively on my weapons up until a few months ago when I decided to switch to Hornady One Shot.

One Shot dries and seems to work very well.

Read some info on the lube and cleaner wars and One Shot was near the top in all categories.

That said, Breakfree CLP did the job for me for 35 years and I would still use it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I use Ballistol for anything that shoots corrosive.

TW25 for rails, or anything that slides on anything else

All else gets Breakfree CLP

I've also used synthetic Mobil One and synthetic bearing grease, they work fine also and are uber cheap. But they also stain clothes easily so any money I saved using them probably got blown on Shout with Oxy Clean or whatever that stuff my wife buys is.

I'm on a lot of car forums and someone's always asking which oil is best. Everyone's got an opinion, but the fact you use xxx brand and your car hasn't blown up yet doesn't make it the best.
And 99% of the brands out there are adequate for 99% of the driver's daily use.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use TW25b. It's great stuff for lubrication. I won't use something for lubrication that has a solvent mixed in with it.
View Quote

This is actually what we are using...good enough for the mini-guns is good enough for our small arms, right?

It's expensive (if you have to pay for it).
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been using Break Free CLP on all of my ARs for nearly 12 years. I have had no need or desire to use anything else. It does exactly what I need it to do.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I like CLP just fine.
My SR15 Mod1 just passed the 4650 round mark without any issues, and it was not cleaned, nor was any lube added after the first initial preparation with CLP.

It is my preferred general purpose oil for lubrication, and it is actually my preferred product for preservation.
It is not as good as other preservative products, but it is good enough for my purpose since I store the guns in my climate controlled safe.
I also like it b/c it is not harsh on the painted finish on some of my guns.

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like CLP just fine.
My SR15 Mod1 just passed the 4650 round mark without any issues, and it was not cleaned, nor was any lube added after the first initial preparation with CLP.

It is my preferred general purpose oil for lubrication, and it is actually my preferred product for preservation.
It is not as good as other preservative products, but it is good enough for my purpose since I store the guns in my climate controlled safe.
I also like it b/c it is not harsh on the painted finish on some of my guns.

View Quote

is your climate dry or humid? 4600 rounds without extra lube here in the AZ desert would not fly. the dry climate even seems to work on gun lube.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Wowza... that's rather impressive. Was there even any trace of lube left on the bolt when you took it apart? With that much carbon I'd almost guess that there'd be none left and that's just a huge case of a great gun!
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

is your climate dry or humid? 4600 rounds without extra lube here in the AZ desert would not fly. the dry climate even seems to work on gun lube.
View Quote

ohio is in the midwest.  it's not a desert.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I still use CLP but mainly as a cleaner and rust preventer. I used to fill my CLP bottles from the armory's big jug of CLP whenever we had to do weapons maintenance lol. For lubrication I've used Slip 2000 EWL and Froglube which works well. EWL doesn't work as a cleaner or preservative to me and I haven't had any problems with Froglube but I am looking to buy G96 when my FL is used up. New BCM uppers smell real nice with G96 lol!
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:56:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Been using CLP since my USMC years and will likely keep using it for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#24]
CLP, if it ain't broke...
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
CLP, if it ain't broke...
View Quote

I use CLP to clean, then oil with Castrol 10w40. Most grime wipes off. Burnt carbon still takes elbow grease after a few hundred rounds. It's bonding time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Breakfree CLP is no longer being issued to the military. Breakfree CLP has changed their formula to be more "environmentally friendly" from their previous formula.

My first gun lube was Breakfree CLP and it worked wonderfully. Never had any jams, or rust problems. It always cleaned very nicely, too. I switched to Milcomm products recently only because it is more friendly on the skin and it seems to last a lot longer.

Are you sure you're shaking the bottle? I mean shaking it for at least 10-20 seconds before using it? And when using it are you sure you're wiping it all over and letting it absorb then wiping it off? I always do that and it worked for me no matter what the rifle is.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I still like Breakfree CLP.  It hasn't done anything badly enough to make me switch, and I found that it actually is pretty good at preventing corrosion on guns I shoot corrosive ammo through.  I tried a certain other wonder product that's edible or some such shit...that stuff didn't work all that well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I've never noticed any changes in performance when I use the current CLP.  I might not be shooting as much as some of you.  But I haven't felt compelled to change.  So....  CLP for me.  

But maybe I'll look at some of these other ones.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm currently in Cincinnati so I would say it is mildly humid here. Definitely noticeably more humid than what I'm use to in Dallas.

I haven't tried the same procedure in Dallas, but after about 2000-3000rds I can't notice any oil on the front portion of the BCG but some oil can be seen on the tail and some on the buffer face.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#32]
All I use as far as lubricant now is Mpro7 LPX gun oil. It surpasses Breakfree CLP in many aspects including the rust tests. I was a firm believer in CLP until I started using LPX.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I use Breakfree CLP as a lubricant, I clean my guns with Hoppes 7.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I have tried alot of lubes over the years. Pretty much standardized on Breakfree CLP.
For something like a .22 rifle I use Rem Oil, It's thin oil for small fine parts.
On the outside of my guns, I use Birchwood Casey Barricade. A light mist and a wipe with a clean rag and the outside is totally protected from rust.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#35]
http://www.g96.com/products/military-approved-synthetic-clp-gun-oil/
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Just to throw in my 2c which has already been mentioned.....

I've used LSA forever to lubricate and protect and old Hoppes#9 to clean copper fouling.

When Breakfree CLP first came out I tried it, didn't seem to do anything for the copper fouling in your barrel unless you had a brush and scrubbed the crap out of it. With Hoppes, you leave it overnight and it removes the copper.  Oh they hyped the new CLP with all of their new fangled teflon claims and all of that. Also the CLP was just too thin for me, wouldn't stay put, ended up everywhere, you had to keep pouring it on your 1911 pistol in competition, flew everywhere, unacceptable. I went back to LSA in competition shortly after trying CLP.

To make a story short, I'm assuming this new G96 CLP is also too thin to do it all. Sure it met all the military tests and passed with flying colors. So has a lot of other things....

And the G96 price? Not for me.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#38]
A gal that wears the best Tshirts ive seen on a woman, at the local shows sells something in a can that smells like model cement.
I use that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A gal that wears the best Tshirts ive seen on a woman, at the local shows sells something in a can that smells like model cement.
I use that.
View Quote

Can you post a picture? Of the can I mean.....

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hi all, title says it all. I'm kind of torn on BF CLP, on the one hand, it's pretty available and doesn't reek. On the other hand I've only ever had jams in my firearms when I happened to be using it. Now it's not like there were that many and it might not have been the lubes fault but it's still in the back of my mind. Am I crazy? haha Also feel like it should be pretty good because the military uses it, but it's come to my attention that they may have moved away from it recently. So while we're at it does anybody know what any of the branches of the military use for cleaning??

Also should throw in there, that I was getting a lot of jams with an old marlin 22 semi auto a few months ago and I had lightly lubed it with BF and so for kicks I cleaned and lubed it with Ballistol and put another 500 rounds through it and had much less jams. Now I also was much more liberal with the ballistol so that could have made the difference too. Thoughts??
View Quote

I strongly dislike BreakFree and Safariland CLP. It causes skin problems.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Current issue is CLP. That's it (unless you're some kind of high speed operator).

We have stocks of breakfree, and non-descript gallon jugs of generic clp.

LSA doesn't really exist any more, and Afaik is not authorized.

LSA-T is only authorized for the mk19, but is often used on other belt feds. CLP can be authorized for cleaning and storage of mk19s, but is not, and should not, be used as a lubricant. LSA-T should not be used as a preservative for more than about 2 weeks.

I get away with using my own cleaners on my issued weapons, but it's kind of hard to pull off using some colored grease (as I do on my privately owned guns), so it's not worth the effort.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#42]
CLP is a bottle of compromise that doesn't do any one particular job well.

It puts cleaner, lubricant, and protectant in one bottle (as mentioned so the supply chain only has to ship one bulk item and the Soldier only has to carry one bottle).

LSA and Rifle Bore Cleaner are still authorized and carried by the military supply chain (but not issued to individual Soldiers).  The -10 and -23&P M16 technical manuals list authorized cleaning and storage solvents (Rifle Bore Cleaner, CLP, LSA, LAW, dry cleaning solvent, dry lubricant film, grease, etc.).
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:snipped... LSA and Rifle Bore Cleaner are still authorized and carried by the military supply chain (but not issued to individual Soldiers).  The -10 and -23&P M16 technical manuals list authorized cleaning and storage solvents (Rifle Bore Cleaner, CLP, LSA, LAW, dry cleaning solvent, dry lubricant film, grease, etc.).
View Quote

I'll see if I can pull a TM from the armory tomorrow (my copy is older). While I do want to agree with you in full, in practice, good luck finding anything other than CLP or LSA-T in a generic armory.

Some commands have authorized generic solvent tank solvent, but most marines are too stupid to properly use them so it's wasted effort.

I don't think the corps even buys anything but clp and lsat these days. Maybe the other branches use common sense, but none found here.

I'm sure OP just wants to use a good product, and all of us know that clp will do the job. Honestly, if it's a petrol base and designed as some kind of lube, it'll work.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#44]
The Navy is mostly using Royco CLP.

We use TW-25B and MC-1210 for the 25mm.

I think either EWL or EWL 30 are superior to both of those for use in the AR.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:57:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
CLP IMO is the military's solution (pun?) to having a bunch of people who know very little about firearms (let alone their weapon(s)) clean weapons:  just use one thing for everything.

There are better options out there.

ETA:  I don't know if CLP is current issue, but we're not using it.
View Quote

THIS. CLP is a "jack of all trades, master of NONE" (in other words, it's NOT great at anything). If I were a soldier, counting oz's... sure I'd use it. As a civi... no way in hell. Why would I? There are FAR better products out there (and for cheaper) to do each job separate (as they should be). My advice: Get a good cleaner, get a good lube, get a good preservative (if needed. I don't use one).
CLP is the equivalent of a survival knife. Would you use just a survival knife throughout your daily business? Of course not, there are FAR better knife choices for each task. Unless you have weight/space/use constraints... CLP sucks. People use it "because the Mil uses it!", but they don't understand WHY the Mil uses it (NOT because its the best, that's for sure).
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I use CLP to clean everything. Once it's clean, I go over it with a clean cloth soaked in more CLP.

BCG, bolts on bolt actions, and rails on pistols get grease. I use Ultima-Lube. Different viscosity for different applications.

Everything is a lot easier to clean if it starts out wet with CLP. Everything at the range is wet, anything I take to the woods gets a lighter coat.

Occasionally I soak some parts in Hoppe's, but not very often.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is actually what we are using...good enough for the mini-guns is good enough for our small arms, right?

It's expensive (if you have to pay for it).
View Quote

That's always been my thinking.

TW25 is good enough for super high rpm weapon systems....why not use it on individual weapons.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#48]
CLP works great.  It's my primary cleaner/lube.   Does other stuff work?  Probably.  But I know CLP works and it's not overly expensive.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:35:01 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm a fan of it, always have been. I'm going to buy a 16oz bottle here once I run out of other solvents.

I'm kinda curious to see how long this big ass bag of gun cleaners/oils etc I've accumulated takes to deplete so I'm not buying more til I'm completely out.

At this rate it's looking like 10-15 years..this stuff lasts forever.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#50]
 I found this in our archive section.  Originally posted: by Member "QIB" on 4/27/2007

Information on CLP
by Joe Hawkins (of AR15-L)
3 Feb 2000

I looked up the NSN 9150-01-102-1473 on the supply computer today and found 4 CAGE numbers for suppliers of CLP.

I have posted the manufacturers names here before. The PRIME CAGE number is for ROYCO, which means if you order CLP you are going to get ROYCO's CLP, UNLESS you request a substitute CAGE or for some reason the PRIME CAGE's product is unavalible, then the supply system starts filling the orders with the secondary CAGE's product.

I called the SAN-BAR company (Break-Free) and they explained a few things:

The Army is the service that pushes for the use of ROYCO's CLP. The Air Force and the Navy do not use ROYCO CLP on their aircraft weapon systems anymore. (I know the Navy dosen't use it.)

The difference between ROYCO and Break-Free CLP is the ammount of solvent used.

ROYCO uses a 40% solution of solvent in their mixture for CLP, Break-Free CLP uses a 20% mixture.

Break-Free CLP for the Military market is called the D-5 formula, and meets a -65 degree viscosoty requirement.

ROYCO's CLP meets the same standard.

Break-Free CLP that is manufactured for the civilian market (This includes the Police) is called the E formula. This is the civilian and export version, the US Military being the only people who use the D-5 Formula.

The E Formula uses only a 12% mixture of solvent in the formula. There is no difference in any of the other ingredents of the formula. The minumum viscosoty temp for the E formula is -75 degrees.

The Break-Free CLP (both versions) formula also includes 1% (by weight) of Teflon or PTFE, ROYCO dosen't use any.

A little history:

Uncle Sam wanted a CLP for use by the Military and asked Break-Free in 1979 to devlop it.

In 1980 the U.S. Military started to use Break-Free's CLP.

Break-Free wanted to be able to market their CLP to the civilian market, and the only restriction that Uncle Sam asked for was that the civilian Break-Free be the same as the Military version (in case Johnny bought Break-Free at Wally World).

In 1987 Break-Free lost the contract as the main supplier of CLP. The contract has bounced back between ROYCO and Break-Free for a few years now. Break-Free still sells plenty of their CLP to the Military, most of it through open purchase (Government Credit Card).

In the end:

No difference in the basic ingredents for Break-Free CLP and ROYCO CLP.

ROYCO uses more solvent in their formula.

No difference in the ingredents for Military and Civilian Break-Free, the Civilian formula uses less solvent.

Happy CLP'ing your AR's!

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/clpinformation.msnw
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top