Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2016 10:52:18 AM EDT
Folks,

I am looking to invest in a quality gun vise for cleaning.

I have see some from Tiptons (best gun vise) and others... (Hyskore and house brands).

I am looking for something that can allow me to clean an AR-15/AR-10, .22 and shotgun.

I see some mag well options?

It was a bit tricky cleaning a breached AR on the kitchen table on a gun mat.

Looking for some suggestions or options. Not sure if any are made in the U.S.A

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
tag...curious to see what people recommend
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Tipton but not the latest.  It is pretty darn good.  

Really a standard 4 inch general purpose vise with rubber jaw pads is more secure.  My big caution is don't crank down on a shotgun barrel.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Look for an old USA made Craftsman or Wilton.  Not the Chinese stuff made now.  5" or 6" jaws with lots of travel.  Make sure the base can swivel.  They show up in newspaper classified ads and on ebay at decent prices.  Far better casting strength without internal void than the Chicom crap.  Get some Wilton soft jaw magnetic inserts for work on surfaces you don't want to scratch or mar.

Brownells has a mag well vice block that works well for cleaning and general use.

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#4]
i find it's easier to clean the M4 platform by itself then in any cleaning platform/apparatus.  Separate the upper from the lower and its much easier to work with   I don't think you'll find anything for the M4/AR10...., ,shotgun, .22..... that will be easy to clean all. They all have different frames and actions

I have a vise, but only use it for changing / adding parts .
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Tipton Gun vise and or vise block.

and these
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Well - still looking for a good gun vise.

I had someone refer me to a CTK Ultimate Gun Vise

http://www.ctkprecision.com/p3-ultimate-gun-vise.aspx

Then in reading some reviews - folks are looking at the Caldwell

http://www.btibrands.com/brands/caldwell/?archive=shooting-rests

I did  pick up a bench vise for backup in case I cannot find something I like.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#7]
VersaCradle
https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/versacradle
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#8]
For my AR's I just found a scape piece of hardwood (oak) that was about the size of a magazine and filed it to fit my mag well so I just clamp it in my vice, slide the rifle on it and open up the receiver for cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Never actually crossed my mind to use a vise to clean my rifle.

I just separate the upper/lower. When pulling a snake/rod through, I just hold the upper in my hand.

Using a vise just seems impersonal. As wierd as it sounds, I want to make a connection to my rifle. While its a tool, it's mine, and I want to cradle it in my loving arms while I massage it with various solvents and lubricants.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:37:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe not the greatest thing, but I use a Glock mat and a oil pan I bought from the auto store. Served me well as I can just toss dirty items in the oil pan and not worry about it staining anything. Afterwards it's a easy dump in the trashcan. I always make sure my products are green or non-toxic as possible.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I just use a regular bench vise with either a 5.56 or 7.62 magwell block clamped in it. Very handy. 
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top