Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2016 3:34:43 AM EDT
How many of u take off your flash hider or muzzle brake to clean around the crown and end of the barrel?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:04:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How many of u take off your flash hider or muzzle brake to clean around the crown and end of the barrel?
View Quote

I have not. Got a ton of junk there as I usually shoot suppressed. Rifle still shoots around 1 MOA for 10-shot groups @ 100, so I haven't worried about it. DDM4 V5.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Not once.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]
never
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not once.
View Quote
Same...not for cleaning

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Never have and never noticed a loss of accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a rifle with only 1400 rounds down the pipe. Was having issues that wound up being a bad barrel. In the meantime, I took of my VG6 Epsilon and was shocked at the huge buildup I had on the crown. Ultimately the carbon was not the problem though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I had a rifle with only 1400 rounds down the pipe. Was having issues that wound up being a bad barrel. In the meantime, I took of my VG6 Epsilon and was shocked at the huge buildup I had on the crown. Ultimately the carbon was not the problem though.
View Quote

This.  Had the same problem.

Only cleaned the crown (VERY CAREFULLY) in order to eliminate any variables when trying to diagnose an accuracy problem.  Gun was eventually sent back and was re-barrelled.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

mine are all timed with rockset/loctite so NO, I dont remove them..
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Never ever... You are not supposed to and there is no need to.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.....never gonna do it!   and the Army didn't make me either!
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Never.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:27:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys for all the replys just wondering.  I had a rem 700 i took off the muzzle brake and put the thread protector back on and it was super dirty under it.  Thats what made me make this post.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Zero.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's not universally true. While it may be the case in AR land with 5.56, it can be an issue with corrosive ammunition.

I once had a Combloc rifle with a chrome-lined barrel that I fed corrosive x39 ammunition. I wasn't overly concerned about the barrel, light cleaning only, so I forgot about the muzzle brake that I had at the end of it. After about a year I started experiencing vertical stringing while shooting. After I removed the muzzle brake (actually, I and my father -- both rather large men who had to strain mightily to remove it -- with a vice to hold the rifle) the stringing went away.

The muzzle brake had corroded on the inside, probably due to the corrosive ammunition, to the point where it nearly welded itself on the threads and deflected rounds slightly. Saved the rifle though, still own it and it returned to shoot like a dream.

So not an issue for AR owners, unless they're running an x39 upper with a muzzle brake and shooting corrosive ammunition. I'd remove and clean that thing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I took the brake off and cleaned the layer of carbon off the muzzle just once. I came to the conclusion, at least for my barrels, that the layer of carbon protects the machined crown from blast a little and if cleaned off its right back in a few shots any how.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Nope and no plans to remove it either.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#17]
An AR muzzle device is not meant to come off. An AK's, on the other hand, IS meant to be removed often (that's why the plunger retainer pin) as the cleaning kits are meant to be used with OUT the muzzle device attached.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:53:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
never
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Never
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#20]
If you shoot a lot, which I do, you can end up getting so much crap built up that it can lead to comp or even worse baffle strikes.  Having a buildup also does degrade accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I have and what I've noticed is if left long enough the buildup can break off in small chunks. Once this happens the hole the bullet is leaving is no longer round. Seems like that could cause a shift in poi. From everything I know the crown is a critical part of accuracy.  If the carbon flakes off in different areas at different times I would think it would cause shifts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Only when I needed to remove the gas block.  Never for any sort of cleaning or maintenance and it's surely not on my to do list.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top