Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/9/2016 9:40:40 AM EDT
Hey guys, I know this has topic is pretty redundant, but I picked up my first AR last night, and I need some help in sifting through all the cleaning options out there.  I wanted to know of a good cleaning kit I can use at the range and at home?  I'm seeing Otis is probably one of the better brands out there.   Also, the sales guy at the gun shop suggested Hoppes for cleaning and Fireclean for lube.

Thanks
Tony
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd look at Otis, bore snake, Remington Squeeg-E.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You just opened a pandora's box.Everyone will have a different opinion.

I pretty much clean maintain all my firearms the same.

After each range trip I use Hoppes 9 on a bore snake and pull it through the bore 4 or 5 times. The last time through I add some oil. Then I wipe the bolt, handle and exterior down with a rag of Hoppes. I then lube with Slip2000EWL or any other gun oil that I have. I then wipe the exterior with Rem Oil.

Every so often, usually 3-4 range trips, I do a "deep clean". I disassemble bolts, scrub white glove clean and start with bore snake then use patches. I use this opportunity to inspect and replace anything that needs it.

The only exception to this rule is when shooting corrosive ammo. I rinse with boiling water and spray it down with Ballistol before cleaning.

For cleaner I like Hoppes. I have been using it since I was a kid and my Dad uses it too.

For oil I use whatever sample bottles I end up with. I did buy a large bottle of Slip2000EWL to try. I like it. Any of the gun oils work fine with the exception of Frog Lube as that will gum up. Some guys use motor oil. Pick your poison.

I never used bore snakes until a year ago. I really like them for quick easy cleaning.

Link Posted: 11/9/2016 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, that really helps
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a small Harbor Freight tool box for $5 and I made my own cleaning kit. After 27 years in the military plus shooting in cowboy action matches, I've custom tuned my kit. Of course I have CLP, but I also have Ballistol and Mobil-1 in my kit. I have cleaning rods and bore snakes, plus tooth brushes and chamber brushes. I think you get the idea.

If I was starting fresh, I would grab a basic Hoppe's kit and start adding to it. Half the fun is experimenting to find your best combination of supplies
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a tackle box with a little bit of everything in it that I have found that works I use at home and a Otis kit I take to the range in case I need it
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 5:23:15 AM EDT
[#6]
My cleaning box has been evolving for 45 years, started out as an Outers .22 kit from TG&Y and is now a 30 LB box full of parts, lubricants, cleaning tools, torque wrenches, you name it.  

I use a Plano tackle box with pull out drawers, I am out of room and now considering a small roll around tool box with lower chest.  

Nostalgia: I still have a box of .22 short ammo, Winchester Western, 50 rounds with a TG&Y price sticker....are you ready for this, 39 cents.  And that was a lot of money to me back then.

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Weapons shield for all cleaning and lube needs and then a mix of boresnakes brushes and other odds and ends.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:25:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I started a thread on Breakfree CLP. Gotta say, it quelled my fears of it being inadequate. Seems like a lot of people like it, and it's pretty readily available, which makes things simple... Just one noob to another.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I started with the MPro 7 kit. Came with copper remover, cleaner, oil, cleaning rod, brushes and patches. It worked really well. When I ran out and needed to resupply, I tried Slip2000 EWL lube, grease and degreaser. I like the slip2000 line better. The oil is a bit slicker. The grease is awesome for rails and bcg. My guns slide and rack like they are on ball bearings. It also stays put for a long time. The cleaner may be a bit better than than MPRo7, but it's probably a tie
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top