Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2016 4:18:58 PM EDT
Is there a cutaway that shows the cut-open side profile of the AR 15 from the FSB all the way to and through the Muzzle and flash hider?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing magical, but first google image hit was this, mister lazybones

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing magical, but first google image hit was this, mister lazybones

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/m16-cutaway-101.jpg
View Quote

Thanks!  but what I'm trying to see in more detail, is what is going on at the muzzle.  It appears that there is a small expansion chamber between the muzzle and the body of the A2 FH, and the tines then open back out.  But I've never seen a side-profile cutaway really show what is going on there.   Is that behaving as a mild compensator?  Why does a side-profile of what is going on there, look like.  This photo suggests there is an expansion chamber there, but it's not clear, and it doesn't really show enough inside the A2 FH to see what's happening.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
OK found one of the Flash hider.  A used one too, which is even better, since it shows the scorch patterns.  Not quite what I was looking for (as I was hoping to see it installed), but I think it shows what I was looking for.  The scorch pattern shows it's acting as an expansion chamber/muzzle break first, before coming out the cone to the flash hider portion.  

Interesting.  I wonder though, since the gases that hit the flange there, are still going to have to funnel through the FH cone portion to get out, probably drastically diminishing effectiveness.  I wonder what would happen if you drilled a hole on top though, where the bayo lug ribs are...

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top