Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2016 3:15:47 PM EDT
Hey all, I'm putting a few basic ar15 rifles into long-term storage... this is gonna be a "boating accident" type scenario if you catch my drift. They might not see the light of day for a decade or more. They won't be in a climate controlled location, so I'm expecting repeated freezing temperatures.

Do you have any grease/lubrication recommendations for this scenario? It'd be nice if they were ready to fire right out of the box.

Or maybe I should leave the bolts dry, and include some lubricant in a separate container? What do you think?

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
ZCOOR BAGS  and Cosmoline

Should last a long time.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
VCI bags, similar as mentioned above for the absolute best protection, in my experience. NO OIL even needed and can be stored for many many years, up to 20+ years(guns can be in complete dry state and actually work best that way with VCI). However I do keep the BCG lubed so they're ready to shoot. I get mine from polygunbag.com.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The military use a VPCI Zcorr type bag system for storage now.
This is ideal because the gun will not rust for at least 10 to 20 years and the rifle can be removed from the bag, the bore wiped out and put into service immediately with none of the laborious degreasing needed as with greases.

The vapor storage actually works better then a grease because the vapor will penetrate into all areas, where with grease some areas might be missed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:51:42 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don't want to use the poly bags, Rig grease. Easier to remove than cosmoline. Great for long term storage, been used for years.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently unpacked some guns I had sprayed with birchwood Casey sheath and packed in safariland blue bags for 15 years and they were fine
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top