Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/8/2016 10:33:49 AM EDT
Just a shot in the dark, but I am low on Lucas Gun Oil and have no other oils readily right now due to mother nature and her belief that a hurricane is what the east coast needed this weekend. Since I'm stuck in the house I'm cleaning everything I've got in the safe just to keep my mind occupied.

Question is, I have a bottle of pneumatic gun oil (for impact wrenches, air grinders...anything ran off of compressed air) when I finally do run out of Lucas today would this be a good backup? I have a few bottles of motor oil.....but their in my trucks toolbox at the shop....so that's not helping me right now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure that pneumatic tool oil will handle the high temps, it might break down.  

Do you have any ATF if the garage?  That would work better in a pinch.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It's better than nothing, but atf and motor oil are both completely up to the task.

ATF also doesn't handle high temps, but if you aren't rapid firing until you see your lube smoking, it's fine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure that pneumatic tool oil will handle the high temps, it might break down.  

Do you have any ATF if the garage?  That would work better in a pinch.
View Quote

No, most of my oils are in my tool box on my truck...which as stated is at the shop right now. The only thing I have right now is 50w gear oil but thats just about empty
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#4]
15w40 engine oil is my go to gun lube now, works awesome! But I see your limited on options. I think 50w might be too thick, especially in the cold.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I use sewing machine oil,  3-in-1, Corrosion X, CLP, whatever is handy. Use what you got on hand.  Pneumatic tool oil designed to handle moisture and impede corrosion. I'm sure it will be fine. Can't be much worse than Fireclean and Froglube.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can't be much worse than Fireclean and Froglube.
View Quote

If fireclean and froglube are your standard, just grab a bottle of cooking oil or spray out of the kitchen.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use sewing machine oil,  3-in-1, Corrosion X, CLP, whatever is handy. Use what you got on hand.  Pneumatic tool oil designed to handle moisture and impede corrosion. I'm sure it will be fine. Can't be much worse than Fireclean and Froglube.
View Quote

Pat Rogers (RIP ) once used vagisil on a BCG, just to prove it'd work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I once switched from Brakfree to Ballistol. 4 months later the revolvers actions were all gunked up. It appears that the two oils don't play well together.
Had to break everything down. flush out with gunscrubber and relube with breakfree.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:14:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy a quart of 10w-40 full synthetic motor oil, should last you for years.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:49:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS (although I use 10w30). Hell, you can pull an engines dipstick and use that if you have to. Engine oil is fantastic and WILL work extremely well in the AR (the AR is not some magic animal. It is a high heat machine, same as motors, and does not require magic unicorn fart dust to operate. Any motor oil will work as well as any snake oil "gun" lube).
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes but I wouldnt recommend leaving it in there, you might develop problems once a month!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Ive heard some really smart guys say they love Fireclean.

I've never used it..if I buy gucci lube it's Slip 2000. Lately I've been using Royal Purple motor oil on my ARs and pistols it's doing fine.

Link Posted: 11/7/2016 2:20:43 AM EDT
[#13]
If it comes down to it grab some baby oil if you have any. It's the same mineral oil as Hoppes #9 OIL... no, not the cleaner, the make oils too (hopefully this will get the attention of some before they start saying how Hoppes is just a cleaner and not a lube)... but with a nice scent added.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Pull your cars dipstick. I've lubed many a weapon with the oil off a nasty, grubby HMMWV dipstick, in a pinch, of course...
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I like Lucas Extreme Duty Gun oil. Get the 8oz bottle and it should last for years.
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/lubricant-protectant-oils/extreme-duty-gun-oil-prod71172.aspx

So what did you end up using?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Pat Rogers of EAG was known to have student use Vagisil.

The rifle is not picky.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm with him. Don't over think this. Air tool oil will work fine
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in the don't overthink it camp. Just about anything will work just fine.

I used Lucas assembly lube on the last one I put together.
Just a $450 grab bag build, but that thing is somehow the smoothest cycling gun I have ever handled, both manually and when firing.

The shit is way nasty and goopy so it stays put, but too much on the bcg area and you will feel it. Light coat is key in the bcg area.
Being an assembly lube, it has lots of vitamins and minerals in there so should have excellent friction and anti wear properties.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#20]
There is ALWAYS "gun oil" available. It's called "motor oil" (your AR IS a motor), and can be found on any dipstick of any automobile in the area. Get past the "gun oil" snake oil claims already. The AR is nothing more than a machine that deals with same conditions as a motor (carbon fouling, heat, friction). Hell, an AR is even closer to an engine than other firearms as it has an intake (gas tube), piston (bolt rings), exhaust valve (carrier exhaust ports), etc. It's not some magical fairy machine that requires unicorn fart dust. Just slap some motor oil on it and your GTG.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I remember seeing a program on the Afghans and one was straightening out an AK barrel by putting in a fire and beating on it.  Then he took a shoe lace or string, dipped it in motor oil bucket and ran I through the bore...

As much as I deal with machinery lubrication at work, I have never tried Mobil 1 on any of my guns.  I have Slip and Wilson Combat lubes in my gun box...

When these are gone, may switch to Mobil 1

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
THIS (although I use 10w30). Hell, you can pull an engines dipstick and use that if you have to. Engine oil is fantastic and WILL work extremely well in the AR (the AR is not some magic animal. It is a high heat machine, same as motors, and does not require magic unicorn fart dust to operate. Any motor oil will work as well as any snake oil "gun" lube).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1 for the 10w-40 'European Formula' full synthetic Mobil 1.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top