Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2016 8:43:34 PM EDT
Question.  I have two new BCGs that i was prepping to get them ready to shoot for the first time.  I wiped both of them down gently with a Rem Oil wipe.  Did not rub hard at all, just gave the whole carriers and bolts a wipe over with the wipe.  While doing so, I noticed a few areas mostly around the gas key, where the wipe rubbed the black phosphate coating right off without any effort.  You can see silver now.  Is this normal?  This happened with 2 different BCGs, one Palmetto and one from Radical I believe.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of such a thing. I have bcgs with anywhere between 60 and 900 rds and multiple cleanings, all but one phosphate coated, several different cleaners and not an issue.

Pics would help.

I would guess shitty manufacturing , but you have 2 from different sources.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks so much for the reply and help.  Here are 2 photos of the one BCG.  
https://postimg.org/gallery/dq3e2umw/
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:21:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Phosphate coatings don't just wipe right off, as it's formed from a chemical reaction with the base steel. Those areas look like they were simply never coated for some reason. Hard to say, really.

Considering that wear is inevitable in those areas anyway; coat with CLP, go shoot
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I do not have the answer here. If I had to guess, I would say improper coating in that area. Personally , I would return for an exchange,  but that is just my opinion.  I do not think it will be an issue function wise, and it is a high wear area as pointed out. Corrosion and wear wil be expedited in those areas. I would not be happy with it.
Also, as pointed out, the phosphate coating is a chemical bond process not able to be simply wiped off of the metal surfaces.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Not normal at all. Call CS.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The carrier rails and sides of the key finish do wear over time but generally there is carbon in the areas you mentioned from leakage around the bottom of the gas key. Have never cleaned one after shooting I did not get a little or a lot of black carbon from that area on the rag or patch. You also get some carbon from firing as the carrier 's rearward travel separates it's key from being around the gas tube.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
double
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top