Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2016 10:04:18 AM EDT
If you spelunk the web you will find varying opinions, dos and do nots etc. Didn't see any recent threads so thought I'd open it up as I'm about go invest a few hours replacing some mag springs and PMCSing quite a few AR/beretta/glock mags.

What I've done historically that seems to work well for me (for all types, alum/steel/polymer and mag bodies/followers), is blow out any dust/debris with compressor, toothbrush the inside and follower with a drop or two of CLP on it, then mop the inside body and follower with a dry cloth leaving a thin-to-negligible amount of CLP coating behind. For the springs I wipe them down with a CLP soaked cloth and then again with a dry cloth. I'm in central FL so humidity and dirt is a bigger enemy than fine grained sand but it's not uncommon for mags to get exposed to sand as well. Are the latest and greatest (and expensive) dry lubes a better alternative? How do you guys maintain your mags?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't.
View Quote

Fair answer shared by many I'm sure. Traditionally, based on experience and Internet lore, they tend to just work with little or no maint. But on the other side of fair is the fact magazines tend to be the most common point of failure. Nothing beats dropping a couple hundred "duty" rounds through your "duty" mags for confidence building. But once or twice every year or two, I like to give them a sweep.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I spray my springs with WD-40 then hit em with compressed air followed by a wipe down with a rag. Dry rag thru the body then forget about it. Never done it to any mag that I purchased new, only used. I only use USGI mags too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
No lube.

Periodically disassemble and wipe the inside with a cloth to remove residue.
Especially in mags used in suppressed weapons.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Right out of the Sig 762 and Colt M16/M4/AR15 armorers manuals.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I spray the interior metal bodies with Remington dry lube.  I would never use anything wet that would attract dirt and debris.

ETA....my magazines hit the ground a lot.  This practice has never caused me any malfunctions.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#8]
After a thorough cleaning I apply a THIN coat of CLP Breakfree to the spring to prevent any chance of rust, then wipe it mostly dry.

The aluminum body won't rust and the follower is self-lubricating plastic.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#9]
CLP on the spring, and some dry brushing when they get dirty.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No lube.

Periodically disassemble and wipe the inside with a cloth to remove residue.
Especially in mags used in suppressed weapons.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#11]
According to the TM:

"Lightly lubricate spring (2) and follower (3) with CLP..."
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I spray my springs with WD-40 then hit em with compressed air followed by a wipe down with a rag. Dry rag thru the body then forget about it. Never done it to any mag that I purchased new, only used. I only use USGI mags too.
View Quote

This.

But I have mags with 1000's of rounds suppressed that have never been cleaned for over 10 years.... and they still work 100%.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top