Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2016 11:57:26 PM EDT
Hey guys, picked up my new Daniel Defense Ddm4 v11 Wednesday.  This is my first rifle ever.  I have a hand gun but that's it. What is an acceptable condition for the rifle when it's new? When I opened it, there was "grease" of some sort on one side. I assume it's lubricant from inside the rifle. There is also a bit of a haze or film on the rifle. Especially around the magazine well and upper.  Is this just "dried grease" or is it possible this rifle wasn't actually New and may have been used?  I bought it off gun broker from a pretty reputable store so I'm assuming it's all good, I just want to make sure. It's the cerakote milspec + (brown) so maybe that has something to do with it as well.  Let me know if you have any thoughts or if any of this even makes sense. Thanks!

Nate
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what you mean by haze, but the grease wouldn't bug me at all.  A new gun needs a good cleaning inside anyway, so just wipe down the outside when you get done with the inside.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
This...... Clean the rifle , wipe it down and go shoot ...
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Clean rifle, LUBE, wipe down, go shoot.

Must remember to lube rifle...

V
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Clean rifle, PUT A RATTLE CAN PAINT JOB ON IT LUBE, wipe down,  go shoot.

V
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clean rifle, PUT A RATTLE CAN PAINT JOB ON IT LUBE, wipe down,  go shoot.

V

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Clean it.  If the haze remains, then perhaps the Cerakote job wasn't up to DD standards.

I would probably call them directly, rather than try to deal with a 'probably reputable' dealer on gunbroker.com.

Daniel Defense is VERY reputable, and has a reputation for taking care of the people who buy their guns.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of the Turkish guns I have bought NIB have been pretty nasty out of the box. I wouldn't want to touch them without a good scrubbing inside and out.

I'm also amazed at how many people seem to go out to the range with a new gun, without at least cleaning the barrel and BCG. And lubing. You never know what you'll find...
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey guys, picked up my new Daniel Defense Ddm4 v11 Wednesday.  This is my first rifle ever.  I have a hand gun but that's it. What is an acceptable condition for the rifle when it's new? When I opened it, there was "grease" of some sort on one side. I assume it's lubricant from inside the rifle. There is also a bit of a haze or film on the rifle. Especially around the magazine well and upper.  Is this just "dried grease" or is it possible this rifle wasn't actually New and may have been used?  I bought it off gun broker from a pretty reputable store so I'm assuming it's all good, I just want to make sure. It's the cerakote milspec + (brown) so maybe that has something to do with it as well.  Let me know if you have any thoughts or if any of this even makes sense. Thanks!

Nate
View Quote

Can you upload some pictures? Grease/heavy oil on new rifles is fairly normal, it's there to prevent rust during storage or transit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I have tried to post photos but am not having any luck figuring it out.  Not much of a forum user. I'll keep trying to see if I can figure it out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have tried to post photos but am not having any luck figuring it out.  Not much of a forum user. I'll keep trying to see if I can figure it out.
View Quote

You need to put your photos on a hosting site then link to them.

Link to some basic forum info.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Let me know if this worked.

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii604/natenite1/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/2016-09/3936C95F-60FA-42C3-BAAF-A60B913BEE41_zpsvmaq9obo.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii604/natenite1/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-08/2016-09/A17A7F32-1BFF-4810-A4B9-8565E2F8F736_zps1ysarolw.jpg

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Fixed images for you

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks dry in some places. Soak a rag with a quality CLP and wipe down the entire exterior of it to see if it makes it a uniform finish.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you recommend a good CLP? Maybe one or 2 brands in case my local stores don't carry one or the other?

Thanks!

Nate
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can you recommend a good CLP? Maybe one or 2 brands in case my local stores don't carry one or the other?

Thanks!

Nate
View Quote

Break Free CLP.  You should be able to find it almost anywhere.

ETA: Some errant grease or lubricant on a NIB rifle is completely okay.  However, if the rifle is Cerakoted and the Cerakote itself is off color in spots, I would say that is unacceptable on a DD rifle.  You are paying a premium for a DD, and part of that should be near perfect fit and finish.  

If you had bought a budget Cerakoted upper, I'd say just go shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree. We can have spirited discussions on whether DD (or insert other "tier one") brand is worth the additional cost, but one of the things you should expect with a DD rifle is a top quality finish. If the cerakote is not right, and it bothers you, contact DD. They will make it right.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#16]

I see both sides of the comments from all posters.  Looking at the back of the trigger (not cerakoted?) , it has the same appearance as the cerakoted pic.  I agree a higher end rifle should not have been boxed like this.  I have a newish BCM upper and the receiver looked a bit like the one in the pic but less localized.  It also bothered me a bit as BCM is not your typical run of the mill assembler.  In the end I think it was some kind of powder on mine from who knows where and after applying a bit of oil on a rag it seems to be gone now.

But I would contact DD to confirm.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Its a rifle not a priceless painting, it looks fine to me. Also every weapon is test fired before being boxed up so yeah it will have been used which will spray lube all over. The manufacturer will not have cleaned it afterwards typically. Some weapons will be absolutely drenched in protective grease and oil. You must always disassemble and clean any new weapon you receive. Now if it is painted incorrectly thats a different  issue.

Looks to me like what you are seeing is just lube on the paint making some spots darker than others, clean and oil the weapon propperly and then make your mind up about the paint, it looks normal to me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#18]
open it up, spray and wipe it down, clean the barrel and BCG and load 10 PMags then go shoot the shit out of it.  It looks fine to me.  Like an above poster mentioned it is not a piece of art.  I would also say it is not a fancy wood stock side by side or bolt rifle that is made as a pretty piece, it is an AR, a tool.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a military grade weapon.  Ever seen military issue weapons?  They aren't pretty...but if maintained properly they work.  Stop obsessing over trivial, unimportant shit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#20]
It might be a dry lube from the factory. I know psa uses it on their lowers. Wipe it down with clp.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top