Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2016 7:07:08 AM EDT
Hello, I recently picked up my first ar15. I got an Otis kit but I hear such good things about bore snakes I figured
I would check them out. I see amazon has several brands, some are only $3. Are these GTG or should I spend
the money's on Hoppes instead?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Make your own, take some weed eater string and heat one end up with a torch.

Then as soon as it gets black and melting smack it on something flat with a hammer.
I used an old school heavy all steel bench top, and used another block of steel to smack it flat on the burning end.
You may need to try this several times until you get it just right.

After that take a razorblade and shave a slit into the end and also trim the end to fit well.
Then you can use patch's on the end of it and this will outlast your barrel.

Some weed eater string is better than others, like the rounded stuff is the best.

I use the Hoppes bore snakes but usually throw them out after they start to feel stretched or fraying. My friends brother tried using one forever and it broke the pull string off and the thicker cleaning part was stuck in his barrel. They had no way to pull it out so we came up with the idea of burning it out. He said they would use an old coat hanger, get it cherry red and just kept poking at it until it burned through everything. I never asked if that actually worked out for him so don't quote me on it
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a cheap Chinese bore snake snap in my VZ58. Pulled it out backwards and now I only use true bore snakes
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Is Hoppes the "true bore snake"?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is Hoppes the "true bore snake"?
View Quote

It is a brand I trust, the no name or weird off brand Chinese ones have completely alienated me. I do recognize that hopes is probably Chinese too but at least they seem to stand up, so far :)
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Otis has a bogo on Ripcords right now.  I like them than better than the Hoppes bore snakes.
Both work, Ripcords are tougher and last longer.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I trust Hoppes snakes ever since I used to use them on M2 barrels in the Army.  Tied a length of 550 cord to the end of a .50/.54 one because it was too short for the M2 barrels.  It took a lot of force to pull them through and never had it give any indication that it wanted to break.   Was quite effective in cleaning them as well.  

That was years ago and there are probably other good products on the market now, but I still buy Hoppes snakes.  Also have a Sage and Braker snake that I like a lot and may buy more of.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#7]
"real" bore snakes are probably less than $10, right?  I have a bunch of them but haven't really looked at the price.  It's one of those essentials...like gasoline...you just buy it.

Skimping a buck or two on knockoff gear hasn't been good to me in the past, especially on gun stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I use an Otis cable from Brownells.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Cheaper on Amazon even with the BOGO at Otis.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cheaper on Amazon even with the BOGO at Otis.
View Quote

Dang, you're right, thanks! Picked up two Ripcords for $18 and a bunch of round patches all prime.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Are these GTG or should I spend
View Quote

I have some of both & see zero difference in construction or function....
I'm all for not getting junk & but for these....I can get several of the cheap ones compared to the Hoppes ones.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm all for not getting junk & but for these....I can get several of the cheap ones compared to the Hoppes ones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Try the Otis Ripcord.

I like it better than the Hoppes Boresnake .

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I think I will stick with the Otis cable kit I got. I keep seeing threads about bore snakes getting stuck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I bought 2 of each size I needed from eBay. As a matter of fact I just ordered 2 more .22 calibers ones and .410 shotgun to clean Dad's antique Stevens.

The cheap ones are even the same colors as the Hoppe's. I would bet money the same sweatshop in China makes both. Some go in a plastic bag and are sold on eBay others go into a plastic hanger box and are sold to Hoppe's.

I think the only difference between the eBay ones and Hoppe's is the packaging and cutting out the middlemen.

Hoppe's has more expensive packaging, then is sold to Hoppe's who then sells to a wholesaler, who then sells to a retailer and then are sold to you. Hoppe's sets the MSRP to allow for a couple of layers of handling and profit.

Buy what makes you feel comfortable.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top