Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2016 8:44:16 AM EDT
Anyone try brake cleaner for cleaning the gas tube on an AR?  Just thinking that would clean the gas system very well after shooting steel cased ammo.  I know for sure it will clean the bore wonderfully well, and then I use a good oil to oil the bore........just never shot it thru the gas system!
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I typically use brake cleaner on barrel threads before installing/timing muzzle devices to make sure there is no residual oils before applying thread-lock.

That being said, the brake cleaner will remove all lube and flash rust can be an issue if the bore is not lubricated right away.

Also, not sure how effective the brake cleaner would be in removing copper fouling - a contributor to reduced accuracy.

Never tried it in the gas system/tube.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#2]
in the 20 years I was in the military, the only thing we did to clean the gas tube was to take a pipe cleaner and cleaned it as far as the pipe cleaner would go in, that's it. that's what I still do with my AR, I also shoot steel case ammo, never had  failure due to gas problems

I believe you are too overly concern with cleaning the gas tube,  just use a pipe cleaner to clean the first 3 or 4 inches of it, then  put a period at the end of that cleaning process

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I typically use brake cleaner on barrel threads before installing/timing muzzle devices to make sure there is no residual oils before applying thread-lock.

That being said, the brake cleaner will remove all lube and flash rust can be an issue if the bore is not lubricated right away.

Also, not sure how effective the brake cleaner would be in removing copper fouling - a contributor to reduced accuracy.

View Quote

I read the AMU doesn't clean copper fouling.  It just screws up their consistency and data recordings IIRC..
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I read the AMU doesn't clean copper fouling.  It just screws up their consistency and data recordings IIRC..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll have to clean it sooner or later. It'll eventually build up to the point accuracy starts dropping off. Now you don't scrub it out every range trip. Just when accuracy drops off
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Be careful with that.   I read about a guy who heated brake cleaner by welding a piece that still had some on it, and next thing you know, he was disabled for life.  It produces the same nerve gas used by the nazis, i think.

Edit to add:  needs argon, too, but still, phosgene gas

http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:28:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Be careful with that.   I read about a guy who heated brake cleaner by welding a piece that still had some on it, and next thing you know, he was disabled for life.  It produces the same nerve gas used by the nazis, i think.

View Quote

Same problem exists with the almost identical Gunscrubber.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Use Non Chlorinated brake cleaner only.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I squirt some down the gas tube when I clean my rifles. Might not help but doesn't hurt.

I only use non chlorinated brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I used it for at least 10 years, with no problems. Remember it removes all lubrication, re-lub well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:09:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Gas tubes are like vaginas, self cleaning.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:45:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is really good carbon remover, but you need to re-oil anything it comes in contact with because it strips away everything.  Will not hurt metal finish, but can eat up polymer and wood finishes.  It will do absolutely nothing for copper or lead fouling.  It worked great for cleaning 240 and 249 pistons quickly when I was in the Army; they still needed to be re-oiled and buffed out.  That had zero effect on weapon function, but .mil weirdness and all.   No need for it on AR platform weapons.

Gun Scrubber or whatever it is called is basically the same thing that costs more.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't clean your gas tube.

Only real use for brake cleaner (mostly acetone) is to degrease as part of prep for painting your gun. Your BCG and upper should have enough lube to keep the carbon in suspension and it will just wipe clean.

No solvents or brushing needed except in the chamber and bore IMO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Use Non Chlorinated brake cleaner only.
View Quote

+1

I believe the chlorinated version eats Anodizing.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gas tubes are like vaginas, self cleaning.

Txl
View Quote

NOT SO
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Do NOT use the Red/White CRC brake cleaner on any part that gets hot.  It creates Phosphene gas and can make you deathly ill.

edit, see it's already been covered.  We just had a safety meeting at work about it.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both evaportate quickly, and most people wouldn't go shooting right after cleaning their guns.

But yes, the potential is there.   I prefer acetone for cleaning before welding.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do NOT use the Red/White CRC brake cleaner on any part that gets hot.  It creates Phosphene gas and can make you deathly ill.

edit, see it's already been covered.  We just had a safety meeting at work about it.
View Quote

Is that the chlorinated version? I think my can is green.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and it works 10x better than the green can.

It's also the best bug killing spray ever, I use it for covering fire on yellow jackets until I can get close enough with the gas can
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone try brake cleaner for cleaning the gas tube on an AR?  Just thinking that would clean the gas system very well after shooting steel cased ammo.  I know for sure it will clean the bore wonderfully well, and then I use a good oil to oil the bore........just never shot it thru the gas system!
View Quote

A pack of gas tube is really, really cheap. You can replace in about 5 minutes. Maybe once a year you punch out the old gas tube, replace it with a new one. Cleaning the gas tube is as silly as cleaning the buffer spring. They're cheap parts that you can replace in less than a few minutes/seconds and you waste all that time trying to keep a cheap part clean not knowing the more you clean it, the worst it gets.

You spend maybe 30-40 minutes trying to clean every nook and cranny you can think of. Just imagine if you cleaned the gun for 10 minutes, then used that remaining 20 minutes to spend time with your family, friends, or just for yourself.

Don't waste your life doing silly things especially trying to clean a cheap 2 dollar pipe. I mean every time you shit in the toilet do you snake it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A pack of gas tube is really, really cheap. You can replace in about 5 minutes. Maybe once a year you punch out the old gas tube, replace it with a new one. Cleaning the gas tube is as silly as cleaning the buffer spring. They're cheap parts that you can replace in less than a few minutes/seconds and you waste all that time trying to keep a cheap part clean not knowing the more you clean it, the worst it gets.

You spend maybe 30-40 minutes trying to clean every nook and cranny you can think of. Just imagine if you cleaned the gun for 10 minutes, then used that remaining 20 minutes to spend time with your family, friends, or just for yourself.

Don't waste your life doing silly things especially trying to clean a cheap 2 dollar pipe. I mean every time you shit in the toilet do you snake it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG...Am I on Facebook?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Brake cleaner works really well as a rinse after using cleaners and solvents and brushes - does an nice rincs job.  It does require re applying oil to any surface that needs it but saves a lot of patch use.
I did not know about the phosgene thing with chlorinated solvents and fire - not good.  i have always used non chlorinated but did not really know why.

Rinsing out the gas tube can't hurt.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Other good cleaners:

Throttle Body Cleaner (acetone [80-90%], CO2 [5-10%], with 1 to 3% of the following: 3-methylhexane, methylcyclohexane, n-heptane, toluene, and less than 1% cyclohexane)

Carburetor Cleaner (methanol [30-40%], toluene [30-40%], acetone [20-30%], ethylbenzene [less than .2%])

Non-chlorinated brake cleaners (methanol [40-50%], toluene [10-20%], acetone [5-15%], 3-methylhexane [5-10%], CO2 [5-10%], n-heptane [5-10%], methylcyclohexane [3-5%], naphtha [3-5%], cyclohexane [1-3%], and ethylbenzene [less than .2%].

Chlorinated brake cleaner is 95-100% tetrachloroethylene, and the remainder CO2.

You start to see a pattern as to what makes to good cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:24:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a small parts washer I keep filled with mineral spirits. Mild cleaner and safe to work with but will also strip all the oils off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a small parts washer I keep filled with mineral spirits. Mild cleaner and safe to work with but will also strip all the oils off.
View Quote

Not sure of your application for it so not sure if it would be good, but adding some ATF to the mix will add a layer of protection and still clean.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not sure of your application for it so not sure if it would be good, but adding some ATF to the mix will add a layer of protection and still clean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always oil after cleaning.  Mineral spirits does a great cleaning job.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 2:03:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

You almost certainly do not need to clean the gas tube.

Chlorinated brake cleaner has VERY VERY nasty stuff in it.    Non-chlorinated brake cleaner typically has Acetone and/or Toluene in it, which is not much better.   Don't screw around with either of them.  It will eventually mess you up.

There is virtually nothing on an AR that you need to be cleaning with brake cleaner unless you're using the non-chlorinated type to strip paint, and even that's a bad idea given the alternatives available.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I squirt some down the gas tube when I clean my rifles. Might not help but doesn't hurt.

I only use non chlorinated brake cleaner.
View Quote

Non chlorinated is key.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:18:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Reel Scrubber in the fishing section is the exact same stuff as Gun Scrubber. Same hit different label. I've used gun scrubber for 30+ years. I use it because it works fast. Does require relubing as it will remove all oil anywhere it touches.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Clean a gas tube?

It's a gas pressure direction device. One function. No metric for maintenance. It works or it doesn't. Never heard of a malf due to a gas tube.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The military seems full of strange cleaning theories, I guess to keep young men occupied? There is no need to stick pipe cleaners in gas tubes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
in the 20 years I was in the military, the only thing we did to clean the gas tube was to take a pipe cleaner and cleaned it as far as the pipe cleaner would go in, that's it. that's what I still do with my AR, I also shoot steel case ammo, never had  failure due to gas problems

I believe you are too overly concern with cleaning the gas tube,  just use a pipe cleaner to clean the first 3 or 4 inches of it, then  put a period at the end of that cleaning process

The military seems full of strange cleaning theories, I guess to keep young men occupied? There is no need to stick pipe cleaners in gas tubes.

Don't forget to stagger your gas rings......
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy did two tours in VN. He said he never cleaned a gas tube on M-16, ever. 40 years later he still never has on his ARs.

I use brake parts cleaner all the time. Never a problem. Non-chlorinated.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top