Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2016 10:26:31 AM EDT
I'm not a heavy user, as my AR probably sees only 300 or so rounds / year.  But, I'm a practical guy in the sense that I think everyone should own at least one AR & one AK clone for when the SHTF.

Now that the political climate is bound to get less favorable, I'm starting to think about stocking up on the stuff I will need to ensure long term sustainability!  As soon as the weapons are banned, so will the parts kits and such.  

I have an old franken-AR with a PWA lower and a Colt A2 upper and bolt assembly.   Most of you on this forum have far more experience then I when it comes to maintaining/building the AR platform.  So, I'm looking for recommendations for what would be the best parts kit to get for my AR.

I hope to lay in a few kits for the long haul.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything colt you cant go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the Anderson vitals kits now. I have a ton of A2 grips and a few other grips so I do not need grips. I also use Geiselle or LaRue triggers. The Anderson kits are good and very reasonable.

I have used Spike's, Palmetto Premium, DPMS, And PTAC. With the exception of the Palmetto PTAC kits all have been very good.

The PTAC kit I used had a thinner bolt release and it would wiggle in the slot so the bolt would not reliably stay open after the last round was fired.

If you find yourself struggling to install roll pins the Spike's kits have the coil pins which go in real easy.

Some Colts have larger than mil-spec trigger pin holes.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top