Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
When I first saw this thread, I was like "WTF? Gloves for cleaning guns?" Then I was like, "You know, that's not a bad idea . . . "

I bought gloves and I definitely wear them when I'm cleaning guns at my pawnshop. Now I can pull off the gloves and wait on customers without having to excuse myself to wash my hands first.

I actually learned something from ARFcom. Gloves are "handy".
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well by that logic you shouldn't wear gloves for anything ever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No gloves. Soap after cleaning.
Powder resudues after shootong are also going to land in your hands. And stay in your skin like tatoo. Cannot be removed with soap.
Should I also use gloves for shooting?

Well by that logic you shouldn't wear gloves for anything ever.

I only wear gloves to keep my hands warm and that's only if it's below fucking cold outside.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Just looked my hoppes no 9 does have the kalifornia warning. Never worn gloves just washed up after

Am I set to die now?

Eta: also saw someone said CLP gets in and never leaves? Is it really that nasty? What are some non-toxic alternatives?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Gloves for me.  No need to get Hoppes or Gun Scrubber on my hand.  If I don't want to inhale it, I don't want it on my skin.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course.  Some of you guys are savages.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just looked my hoppes no 9 does have the kalifornia warning. Never worn gloves just washed up after

Am I set to die now?

Eta: also saw someone said CLP gets in and never leaves? Is it really that nasty? What are some non-toxic alternatives?
View Quote

Slip 2000 is non-toxic.

I still wear gloves when using it though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, black nitrile gloves.

I'm a pharmacist, so I think about this differently than most probably.

Your skin is the largest "drug" delivery system in your body. Ever heard of Androgel? Fentanyl patches? Nicotine patches? All ways of getting drug into your bloodstream (or locally).

It's not a stretch to think that soaking your skin in a bunch of oils and solvents for hours getting absorbed. Notice how those oils start to disappear after a while?

Potential impact? Who's to say, but it's not doing you any favors. I realize it doesn't look cool, but neither does wearing a motorcycle helmet (and I see plenty of those jacks spilling spaghettios out of their brains as they roll into our trauma center).

As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#9]
No
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#10]
nope
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I played chicken with Mr. C for 30 years as a smoker and I did some dumb things when I worked as a young man in a plant that utilized sulfur oxide. Its gloves when I clean guns... when I remember.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if my cleaning stuff is harmful or not, but cleanup is just way easier with gloves.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#13]
yes, as im sitting while i pee
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
no, but I'm a little less industrious now with bare hands

this was me cleaning guns as a kid...

https://i.imgur.com/2xA8bhS.jpg
View Quote

I literally lol'd
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not sure if my cleaning stuff is harmful or not, but cleanup is just way easier with gloves.
View Quote

This, as well as working on cars, painting, etc.  Cleanup is easier and I can answer the phone, take a leak easier, etc .
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've started wearing those blue nitrile gloves.  No reason to expose yourself to harmful chemicals and lead if you can avoid it.
View Quote

This. They're cheap at harbor freight, less than $10 a box for 50 pairs. Also use them when I do auto work.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
No, but I should start
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#18]
no way.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I never used to.

Now I wear nitrile gloves.

I can enjoy the smell of hopes #9 without absorbing it into my hands
View Quote

Same here after a cancer scare.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Lots of strong opinions here.

Me? Usually.

I work in the environmental industry and I am exposed to low levels of lots of different chemicals through the work I do - metals, toxic organics, cyanide, hydrocarbons. Contaminating myself is one thing, but then I go home and hug my wife and kids - I try to avoid Contaminating them. I've worn nitrile gloves on the job for 20 years now. It isn't really that big of a deal. Tactile function is as good as or better with grippy nitrile, and it facilitates cleanup. Why not?

And I really don't enjoy smelling Froglube (or anything else) on my hands all day.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a box of vinyl gloves for cleaning my guns.  Not because my hands get dirty but to keep the acidity from my hands and fingers from getting on the metal.  I have bad OCD and baby my firearms probably more than I should and dont like getting hand oils and acids on them after theyve been cleaned to prevent rust or finish wear, especially since I live in a super humid area of florida right on the beach.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I "try" to use gloves.  I prefer the thicker latex gloves you can get at the grocery store.  I have a box of nitrile golves but they rarely last the entire cleaning session.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Just started in the last couple of years.
Noticed I had to wash my hands several times to get rid of the smell.
When you think about the things soaking into your hands: oil, cleaning fluid, the powder residue (lead, arsenic, ...)

So, yes, started wearing the disposable gloves.
If I need to clean one and don't have the gloves I don't sweat it, but use them when I can.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I'm going to start. I started using them for car oil changes and painting a couple years ago. Brake clean is some of the worst stuff you can get on your hands, its a documented carcinogen. The gloves are dirt cheap at Harbor freight and they have 3 grades of them. I got a box of each. I should have started taking better care of myself when I was young rather than when I'm sneaking up on 70 yrs old.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes. In the 60s-90s, no, but now yes these days.
It is just so much easier. I am likely to do gun stuff, paint, use a chop saw, cook, whatever and I kinda like keeping my hands in original condition. Gloves are good.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I started wearing nitrile gloves when I switched to using non-chlorinated brake cleaner to remove carbon quickly.  

I'm considering switching to EWL just to see if that makes cleanup easier like I have heard...
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes! Harbor freight coupon 5 mil nitrile gloves are great. I have several boxes for guns, autos, painting etc. They are great to have
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I do, for the same reason I do when I work on cars. It makes the cleanup ten times faster. Strip the gloves into the trash, do a quick rinse, and you're done.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:03:01 AM EDT
[#29]
How many of you wear a face mask when shooting at an indoor range?    

Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I usually do wear gloves, but it's fairly development for me -- "recent" being in the last five years after decades of not caring what got onto my hands.  I started wearing them after getting an '84 Mercedes W123 300td (for those who don't know -- that's an old-school diesel) and having my skin remain stained by nasty used diesel oil for days longer than with other dirty mechanical stuff.  Now I'm used to wearing them and find it quite convenient to not have to de-gunk my hands every time I need to use the restroom, phone, or computer, etc.  I use Ansell TouchNTuff gloves.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:34:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes, I always have a box of nitrile gloves under my bench. I wear them when I clean guns and for some stages of the reloading process, especially when I lube brass.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.conney.com/WEBSPHERE/FULLSIZE/Z70005.GIF
View Quote

Now that is Funny.  I wear gloves my hands don't react kindly to chemicals.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Blue nitrile gloves for any chemicals, just like I wear hearing protection and/or eye protection when necessary.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I work with acids, caustics and other very nasty chemicals at my place of work and they keep us well informed on their long term health effects so not wearing gloves when using some tough cleaners to clean my guns is hard to do.  I'll likely delay cleaning if I don't have any.  Even if you're using a "green" cleaner, it's still a good idea to wear gloves.  I'm not a scientist or doctor though so this info might not mean whole lot.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, Chemicals and  lead exposure will not do you any favors
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#37]
No. I just wash with dawn dish soap after and everything comes right off. Hell sometimes I wash my rifle after cleaning in super hot water and dawn.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Up until two years ago I did not wear any gloves at all and used Goop hand cleaner to wash my hands. Now I wear nitril gloves. I have been shooting for more that 25 years and I miss the smell of hoppes #9 when I clean my firearms.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't shoot at indoor ranges
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Likely nobody.  I would hope that nobody shoots at an indoor range that doesn't have appropriate ventilation (which is the appropriate analogy rather than your attempt to make using gloves appear silly).
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#41]
nope
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:58:44 AM EDT
[#42]
I always tended to glove up mostly to keep my hands clean; leather dyes and stains hang in there for a long time. I've been rather hit-or-miss about protecting my hide from chemicals, but I recently started using a caulking product at work that I can taste if it gets on my hands. That seems like a clue, so I make sure I have gloves on the work truck. In fact, I tend to wear two or three pair, so I can just strip off soiled or torn gloves without stopping to put on clean gloves. I find myself wearing gloves whenever I have to touch anything scarier than coconut oil. Gloves are cheap, chemo is spendy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:40:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've started wearing those blue nitrile gloves.  No reason to expose yourself to harmful chemicals and lead if you can avoid it.
View Quote
Black nitrile gloves, see above for reasons.

Nothing to do with manhood.

If for some crazy reason 10 dollar packs of gloves saves me from getting cancer or some other disease and I get to spend more time with my family and friends then so be it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:22:24 AM EDT
[#44]
No gloves, wash hands thoroughly after.  I have gloves in my range bag, I wear them when I remember while shooting (which is usually after the first mag through my Mark 23 chews my hand up against the cheese grater grip).  I'm not as good about washing hands after shooting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:30:00 AM EDT
[#45]
I used to not, now I do. Got tired of my hands smelling like chemicals for hours afterwards no matter how many washings they got. I use disposable nitrile gloves.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#46]
I do now that I have kids.  To many times I have been cleaning and something comes up that I can't clean up first.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Uh no. How else would I get that well known CLP Chicken flavor otherwise?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#48]
The staff told us on our basic that CLP would make our dicks fall off.  I've used gloves for cleaning my guns since then.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#49]
No gloves for basic Hoppes #9, CLP or general lube.  Absolutely use gloves for strong ammonia based copper solvents like Barnes CR-10 or when using brake cleaner to degrease.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Nope.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top