Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/26/2016 11:35:29 AM EDT
Whenever I clean my AR or my XDm I always end up with gunk under my nails (even though I keep them trimmed). I cant imagine CLP, Hoppes bore cleaner or Rem oil being good for you. Do you guys wear gloves (mechanics style) when cleaning your firearms?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]

No

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I am not that pussified.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
no , wash hands after.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

wash hands after.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I've started wearing those blue nitrile gloves.  No reason to expose yourself to harmful chemicals and lead if you can avoid it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope. Nothing harmful in Ballistol.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I never used to.

Now I wear nitrile gloves.

I can enjoy the smell of hopes #9 without absorbing it into my hands
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Never have.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes.  Soaking your skin in solvents and such is not good for your health.

I largely ignored the warnings about such (and the need for sunscreen, etc) like a lot of people.  Getting diagnosed with melanoma a couple years ago really got my attention.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to wear nitrile gloves now. Something in the chemical cleaners started to burn me a few years ago. Since then, gloves are necessary to avoid a burning sensation that does not wash off or go away for several hours. Weird thing to have happen.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Whenever I clean my AR or my XDm I always end up with gunk under my nails (even though I keep them trimmed). I cant imagine CLP, Hoppes bore cleaner or Rem oil being good for you. Do you guys wear gloves (mechanics style) when cleaning your firearms?
View Quote

No

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#14]
no, but I'm a little less industrious now with bare hands

this was me cleaning guns as a kid...

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Usually I wear nytril gloves.  Besides keeping solvents off the hands I leave no fingerprints on any internal parts or external surfaces.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope, never even thought about it until I went into the military and they required me to wear latex gloves while cleaning guns with CLP. I don't think there's any harm as long as you wash your hands after. I've had my blood checked for lead levels and my levels were actually pretty low, ya know considering I never wear PPE, ha. As long as you don't ingest it or something I think you'll be just fine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Usually I wear nytril gloves.  Besides keeping solvents off the hands I leave no fingerprints on any internal parts or external surfaces.
View Quote

Is leaving fingerprints on your guns a concern for you
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I usually don't wear gloves, but I'm not above it.
I pick up parts with a shop towel, and I change shop towels often when wiping parts so not much gets on my hands.
You can absorb chemicals through your skin and into your blood stream though, if you wash your hands with paint thinner you'll taste it in your mouth.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nope, never even thought about it until I went into the military and they required me to wear latex gloves while cleaning guns with CLP.
View Quote

Where the heck is this?  Never heard of any such thing.

OP, no I don't and won't wear gloves, Most of the time, I'll spread the solvent or oil with my fingers.  You may want to read GySgt_D's post as there is something to be said for reducing your exposure to chemicals.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#20]
No.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes I wear nitrile gloves, you can get 400 for $20.00 at Costco.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes .......you don't want that shit on your hands
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've started wearing those blue nitrile gloves.  No reason to expose yourself to harmful chemicals and lead if you can avoid it.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Always. Buy bulk nitrile gloves from Costco. Not just cleaning firearms but anytime I am working with chemicals.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Black nitrile gloves most of the time.  Chemical burns aren't a necessity
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Being I started my life as an auto technician I never used to wear gloves. Nobody did back in the 80s and most of the 90s. We used to use some really aggressive cleaners and solvents.

By the early 2000s everybody was wearing gloves in the workshop. Now it is the norm.

Your body will absorb the chemicals through you skin which is an organ. I had cancer in 2006 and went through chemo and it was not fun. Was it due to the chemicals? Who knows but I try now to wear gloves anytime I handle chemical like paint thinner, acetone, carb/brake cleaner, gun cleaner etc. Sometimes I forget and then I go and scrub my hands and put on gloves.

I prefer the feel from latex gloves but they do not hold up to chemicals and tear real easy. I have some latex gloves for painting and stuff. Cleaning guns and working on power equipment I use nitrile gloves.

I have been using the blue nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight. I print a 20%-25 off coupon and buy one box when I am going by the store. I have 3 or 4 boxes so I am good for a year or more. Harbor freight has 3 thickness gloves. I like the middle thickness. The don't tear easy and I can use them 4 or 5 times before they are worn out.

I don't believe the hype that this chemical or that chemical is safe. They used to think smoking was good for you because it exercised your lungs. How many times has coffee gone from being good to being bad for you?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I was a non-glove wearer until the late 90's. I developed an allergic reaction to certain chemicals. Besides firearms,
I dabble in model rocketry (epoxy use) and RC cars (paints, solvents, fuels) and now wear gloves all the time when dealing with just about any chemical.

I used to use just about any nitrile exam glove, however, I recently switched over to the 'Venom Steel' gloves.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Just wanted to throw my two cents in...

Yes, I wear Nitrile green gloves during cleaning especially at the beginning when chemicals are involved. You should also if you use motor oil. Then I don't have to worry about scrubbing the carbon off my fingers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Always. Buy bulk nitrile gloves from Costco. Not just cleaning firearms but anytime I am working with chemicals.
View Quote

Really like the Venom "Steel" industrial from W- Mart, and just got some RAM-RODZ  bamboo bending oversize swabs I like quite a bit to clean the chamber, bolt face and show me any brass or primer slivers.

The nitriles fit great and keep any lead off my hands especially with occasional rimfire shooting.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn't until I had children. Much easier to take the gloves off and have clean hands if my wife needs some quick help with the kids.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am pussified, I wear the black heavy duty gloves from HF for most anything that has to do with chemicals now.  Worked in a EPA testing laboratory for 4 years.  Water even makes me nervous now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#32]
nitrile gloves
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes

Easier clean up
Salt/oil on your hands corrode metal!
Solvents not healthy for you
Because I always wanted to be a surgeon

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#34]
99% of the time I don't but on the rare occasion that I do I will wear nitrile gloves.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yes I wear nitrile gloves, you can get 400 for $20.00 at Costco.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Large blue nitrile gloves from the Harbor freight
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Large blue nitrile gloves from the Harbor freight
View Quote

This.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Nope, I use MPro-7 which is non-toxic. I don't lick my fingers, so lead isn't a concern.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It is an OCD thing, I used to load all my mags with gloves on, and reload rounds with gloves on to prevent prints.  No more fucks given these days.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I only wear gloves when it is cold out or taking something out of the oven/microwave.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Nope.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#42]
M-Pro 7 and Slip 2000. Non Toxic. Probably wouldn't hurt to wear gloves, but I just don't.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Nope.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I do not wear gloves.  

However I don't believe your concern makes you a pussy.  

I use MPro-7 now, because it is not petroleum based and does a really good job.  I clean guns all the time. When I used Hoppes I could scrub my hands, but for example if I cleaned a few guns before bed I'd wake up with a headache.  Can't be good.   People love to get all romantic about the smell of Hoppes.   That smell is Kerosene.  Rem Oil and LP don't bother me (of course, I'm not getting those all over my hands just to lube some wear points and put a coating on the gun).
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Nitrile blue gloves, can't hurt to reduce chem exposure or lead exposure.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Didn't used to but putting on nitrile gloves became force of habit - unconscious action - when being on ski patrol in the winter became more than twisted knees and sprained wrists.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto.  These are available at CostCo.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#48]
You guys clean your guns?

Txl
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#49]
No, I like the smell of hoppe's on my hands
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:38:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wear nitrile gloves whenever I do work on firearms and when I load unjacketed rounds not at the range. (At the range, I wash hands before I go about doing anything else.) I do the same thing when I work on cars. Picked it up from my dad, who was a mechanic for something like 40 years and had a transmission/performance parts shop.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top