Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/21/2016 11:32:50 AM EDT
What is a good bang for buck one?

My brother has a DPMS one, I like it and was intending to get one but they seem to be discontinued now.

A lot of them look like cheap stamped plates (Wheeler/Tapco), Magpul's looks nice but they are really proud of it.

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a few but always tend to use my green Tapco, it's never let me down.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/tapco-armorer-s-tool-sku100009876-54530-104531.aspx

Btw. IMO and experience,Tapco is pretty good for the price, their gen 2 mags with the brown anti-titlt follower are better than pmags. Never any problems and YouTube has a few torture vids on em...got mine for like 6.50 each.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/wrenches/tapco-armorer-s-tool-sku100009876-54530-104531.aspx
View Quote

came here to post this  ive seen/used many types but my tapco keeps plugging along.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#4]
The DPMS tool is still in stock at several vendors.  The only place that lists it as discontinued is Midway.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I see one from Leapers advertised for both AR15 and AR308. Does it have any advantage over the others mentioned here? Any features missing? I'm new to the AR15 arena.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:57:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't like the three prong side that's supposed to be for the free float tubes, but I like the Olympic Arms wrench. Amazingly one of the better ones I've ever used.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 3:17:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 4:00:53 AM EDT
[#8]

I owned/used a DPMS, and broke one of the pegs off the one side. I have a Magpul wrench now, that while I haven't had to use that particular peg setup, the wrench is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The DPMS tool is still in stock at several vendors.  The only place that lists it as discontinued is Midway.
View Quote

Midway frequently lists items as discontinued when they really aren't , not exactly sure why they do that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Armorers Wrench

Not cheaply made. Solid, heavy and machined well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:I don't really like the all in one tools because they usually suck.
View Quote

They like to turn into a big monstrosity of a thing it seems like.

All my rifles have a fixed stock, I have wrenches that can easily do the receiver extension and/or flash hider.  A screwdriver is a screwdriver.  I had been on the train of thought to just get a barrel nut wrench and be done with it in case I ever have to pull the barrel off of my first rifle.

My last build had a proprietary barrel nut with the handguard and came with a wrench so I didn't need anything for that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Recently got this for a first build of a pistol upper. It's made in China. I got it with a couple of other things a upper vice block and a lower vice block. Hope it doesn't break. It looks ok.

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I use this one.......

http://hammerheadrifletool.com/

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I use the NC star Gen 2.  It was cheap and its made cheap LOL.

Probably not a good one but I am not a professional builder so it works.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Magpul
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a wheeler wrench that honestly sucked. The barrel nut part SUCKED. I bought a PRI barrel nut wrench and will never use another.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top