Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/2/2016 12:46:16 PM EDT
So I just received two bottles of this stuff.  Has anyone had experience with it?  IDK how much I can trust a lube that literally smells like crayons (no lie).  It mentions nothing about corrosion inhibition or rust prevention.  It's also very liquidy.  More than froglube or any clp.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything is better than FrogLube
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of it.  Is ALG suppose to be a play on algae?  Like it's made from some miracle moss?  Curious to see how it works, especially if its made from natural stuff.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never heard of it.  Is ALG suppose to be a play on algae?  Like it's made from some miracle moss?  Curious to see how it works, especially if its made from natural stuff.
View Quote

ALG is a company, owned by the wife of the owner of Geissele.
ETA: I think that's how it works anyway.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I just received two bottles of this stuff.  Has anyone had experience with it?  IDK how much I can trust a lube that literally smells like crayons (no lie).  It mentions nothing about corrosion inhibition or rust prevention.  It's also very liquidy.  More than froglube or any clp.
View Quote

Maybe post your question in the Geissele Industry forum.  They should know the answer.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I guess that depends on your definition of "natural"?
Go Juice is a bio synthetic lubricant made from GMO seeds specially made to produce this oil.
So, plant based, but from genetically altered plants.

Here's an article: Geissele’s New Spring and Go Juice
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I got an email about it.

I may try it sometime but I have enough stuff for now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I received a bottle of it reciently myself and it seems extremely runny to me. Every other lube I have is tons thicker than the Go-Juice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#8]
So I've been using this and while I don't really care to care about the crayon smell. It actually works quite well. I haven't fired one of my weapons for a couple months and there is zero gum up so far.

It aeems to clean well or at least better than some of the other competitorss. My biggest issue is that it's not thick enough. It's about the same consistency as 0w-20 synthetic oil. I also mixed it with tungsten disulfide to enhance its properties.

So far I guess it the thumps up.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
IDK how much I can trust a lube that literally smells like crayons (no lie).
View Quote

I recently got a bottle of it myself from Geissele's website when I went to order their rail. It reminds me of the old bottle of LSA that goes in the elmer's glue container. And yes, it smells funky. I'm not sure if it smells like crayons, but it does smell "purple" to me.

As far as it working, I do find it work very well. As with any bio based cleaner, I found they all turn into sticky goo after storing it for a while on the metal. Froglube turns into a nearly slimy, sticky glue and I'm fairly sure ALG Go Juice is no different but I didn't have sufficient time to really test that. It took me nearly two years to figure out the Froglube problem and that was only because I clean my gun prior to going shooting but couldn't figure out why the same guns didn't function if I left it on the shelf for a week or two after cleaning it with froglube.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:22:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I recently got a bottle of it myself from Geissele's website when I went to order their rail. It reminds me of the old bottle of LSA that goes in the elmer's glue container. And yes, it smells funky. I'm not sure if it smells like crayons, but it does smell "purple" to me.

As far as it working, I do find it work very well. As with any bio based cleaner, I found they all turn into sticky goo after storing it for a while on the metal. Froglube turns into a nearly slimy, sticky glue and I'm fairly sure ALG Go Juice is no different but I didn't have sufficient time to really test that. It took me nearly two years to figure out the Froglube problem and that was only because I clean my gun prior to going shooting but couldn't figure out why the same guns didn't function if I left it on the shelf for a week or two after cleaning it with froglube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IDK how much I can trust a lube that literally smells like crayons (no lie).

I had a rifle with froglube extreme (locked up obviously) for a good amount of time (4-5 Mo) and it pretty much turned into dried Elmer's glue.

With the Go Juice it's supposed to have used a GMO vegetable product for the oil so I'm assuming we should be safe. I mixed tungsten disulfide to amplify lubrication. Works solid. Most of the people I've talk to think it smells like crayons though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:33:13 AM EDT
[#11]
After my FireClean experience I'll never use anything but modern synthetic lubes on a weapon.  

I don't care how good it smells or how it rubs my feels about the environment.

Anything "Bio- based" or Biodegradable will degrade with time and gum up.

Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#12]
just got a bottle of the go-juice, used it on my 9mm carbine. worked great and easy clean up. i put the go-juice on my carrier, charging handle and hammer. slick stuff.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll stick to my Walmart special wheel bearing grease.

I just can't get behind "gun lubricants". I mean I just have a hard time believing these mom and pop gun lube companies can actually do the research that big car lube companies do.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just can't get behind "gun lubricants". I mean I just have a hard time believing these mom and pop gun lube companies can actually do the research that big car lube companies do.
View Quote

The reputable ones do. Wheel bearing grease works I guess, I wouldn't want that gooey stinky stuff all over my rifle though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The reputable ones do. Wheel bearing grease works I guess, I wouldn't want that gooey stinky stuff all over my rifle though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need it all over.

I have some that is unscented and honestly you only need it on like 5 places on the BCG.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:36:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I've been using this and while I don't really care to care about the crayon smell. It actually works quite well. I haven't fired one of my weapons for a couple months and there is zero gum up so far.

It aeems to clean well or at least better than some of the other competitorss. My biggest issue is that it's not thick enough. It's about the same consistency as 0w-20 synthetic oil. I also mixed it with tungsten disulfide to enhance its properties.

View Quote

What ratio did you use to mix it with the "go - juice"? How did you blend it n?
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tungsten Disulfide? I literally just mixed some until I got my desired result. You don't need to blend it in any complicated manner because it's soluble. I always liberally overcoat my upper receiver in 100 percent with TD since aluminum doesn't rust or get effected much by carbon. I coat just my Uppers in TD and then coat the moving parts with my lube, in this case Go Juice (mixed with TD).

Be careful with TD though. That shit can be messy, but once it's in the metal, it doesn't really move around.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I've never heard of Tungsten Disulfide.
Interesting.

I had to look it up.  So the moly bullet shooting guys probably are using this.

I wonder what effects it would have on a barrel coated inside with this stuff.

Learn something new everday on the Arfcom.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interesting.

View Quote

Tungsten Disulfide is the most lubricious material on earth afaik. Lower coefficient than moly, graphite, Teflon, and any oil you will ever put on your guns. Extremely high pressure rating and can withstand over 1200F heat. It is a much better anti seize than anything I've ever used. Coat your upper in it and I swear you will notice. TD literally embedded itself in metal and coatings such as anodizing, melanite, or Ionbond. However slick metals such as stainless types won't still for some reason.  Titanium does however.

Do some research. Honestly, you'd be surprised and some of the shit you'll find. I'm surprised no gun community has capitalized on it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:45:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Tungsten Disulfide is the most lubricious material on earth afaik. Lower coefficient than moly, graphite, Teflon, and any oil you will ever put on your guns. Extremely high pressure rating and can withstand over 1200F heat. It is a much better anti seize than anything I've ever used. Coat your upper in it and I swear you will notice. TD literally embedded itself in metal and coatings such as anodizing, melanite, or Ionbond. However slick metals such as stainless types won't still for some reason.  Titanium does however.

Do some research. Honestly, you'd be surprised and some of the shit you'll find. I'm surprised no gun community has capitalized on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.

What method did you use to coat the inside of your upper? Spray on?

I see you can get a one pound bag of dry powder WS2 for $54.
I may need to try this out.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.

that's not even necessary. That's like overkill because a little goes a long way. That shit is like 0.3 microns thick. Pretty much anything less is nanoparticles. Make sure you're getting the lower micron ones. I just use bore whips or bore sticks. Even a small paint brush applicator works. Rubbing it in with nitrile gloves (don't ever use bare hands, not toxic but can get messy when applying) works good too.

Try it out and let us know.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

that's not even necessary. That's like overkill because a little goes a long way. That shit is like 0.3 microns thick. Pretty much anything less is nanoparticles. Make sure you're getting the lower micron ones. I just use bore whips or bore sticks. Even a small paint brush applicator works. Rubbing it in with nitrile gloves (don't ever use bare hands, not toxic but can get messy when applying) works good too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.

Can y'all take this to PM? We're getting way of topic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:21:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#24]
what happen?thought it was about go-juice. adhd
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#25]
It is about ALG Go Juice   all he is doing is talking about how he uses WS2 to thicken it a bit.  No harm in that in my book. Still pertains to the conversation, and he is the OP and it is his thread. No harm no foul.
I really enjoy these threads, cause I experiment with lube as well. Mixing in WS2, hBN, and Teflon.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#26]
i was learning as well, didnt drift off target.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It is about ALG Go Juice   all he is doing is talking about how he uses WS2 to thicken it a bit.  No harm in that in my book. Still pertains to the conversation, and he is the OP and it is his thread. No harm no foul.
I really enjoy these threads, cause I experiment with lube as well. Mixing in WS2, hBN, and Teflon.
View Quote

I guess it is his thread so my bad. Either way it stopped being about Go Juice and shifted to the lubrication properties of something else.

Back on topic, I still haven't shot with it yet but I did take a couple of the guns out of the safe to check for gummyness and found none By now FC and Rand would have been pretty tacky.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Do you guys know if Go Juice plays well with Synthetic Oils?  Only thing putting me off on trying it, is the terms I read about it being, "runny"  "thin"  etc.  on a couple of forums.
Any ideas on how I could thicken it some with some synthetic  oil. ( if it plays good with it, because being Bio Based )

But one thing intrigues me, and keeps me looking into it more, is that it is a custom based man made algae for the purpose of a lubricant.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

While this may be sarcasm, etc. it's far from the truth. Slightly off the OP's topic...

There may be better firearm lubes (absolute, or for a given environment) it is far from the worst. While it may not be the best, it won't destroy your critical components like bolts, barrels, etc.

An example: anything containing chlorinated esters. Eezox, Militec-1 or Weaponshield all contain this ingredient that has been scientifically proven to cause corrosion and stress cracks in bolts and when used in machining lubricants during barrel manufacturing to revolver barrels. Another product to avoid is chlorinated break cleaners that can have the same negative effect on metal.

As for ALG Go-Juice, I have no personal experience with it, but it's a "bio-synthetic" made from GMO seed oil. I suggest continuing to use whatever else you've been using if it works until more research data is available.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There may be better firearm lubes (absolute, or for a given environment) it is far from the worst. While it may not be the best, it won't destroy your critical components like bolts, barrels, etc.

An example: anything containing chlorinated esters. Eezox, Militec-1 or Weaponshield all contain this ingredient that has been scientifically proven to cause corrosion and stress cracks in bolts and when used in machining lubricants during barrel manufacturing to revolver barrels. Another product to avoid is chlorinated break cleaners that can have the same negative effect on metal.

As for ALG Go-Juice, I have no personal experience with it, but it's a "bio-synthetic" made from GMO seed oil. I suggest continuing to use whatever else you've been using if it works until more research data is available.
View Quote

anything containing chlorinated esters like Weaponshield

Really?  WeaponShield?  I thought was a clean lube, meaning didn't contain chlorinated esters.   Do you have a link I can go read to educate myself?  (not being sarcastic)

At the end of this thread it says that Weapon Shield has  NO Chlorinated Esters.
LINK
But again- I ask  Does anyone know if AL GO Juice play nice with Synthetic oil?

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Really?  WeaponShield?  I thought was a clean lube, meaning didn't contain chlorinated esters.   Do you have a link I can go read to educate myself?  (not being sarcastic)

At the end of this thread it says that Weapon Shield has  NO Chlorinated Esters.
LINK

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

yes. I have mixed 5w-20 Green Earth Technologies (biodegradable synth oil) with it for giggs. Seems to play nice and mix well. It actually causes the oil to thicken up a bit because it's the thinnest oil I've ever used.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Sweet, I ordered some to try out.... I also have an order in for the new Amsoil Firearm Lube.   Excited to get them in.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LINK

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

Weaponshield contains chlorinated molecules, but they are LONG chain molecules, not short or medium length, and are quite stable. Delve into chlorinated paraffins and olephins, and it's a fascinating study, but likely more in-depth than a simple "Yes, it does contain chlorination, no, it doesn't matter".
ALG Go-Juice is compatible with every lubricant Geissele Automatics has tested it with, although they have not tested it with every lubricant imaginable for obvious reasons of time/hassle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#34]
ok - I got my 2 bottles of Go-Juice in, and yesterday I received my Amsoil Firearm Lubricant.  I thought it was thin, well...   Go-Juice makes it look thick.  O_O
LINK AMSOIL FIREARM

I have yet to apply on my bolts on a side by side comparison, but behold these two lubes aren't something, I'd recommend, that you lube your rifle or pistols with and then store in a safe. I don't think it's physically possible for these lubricants to stay put.
Now, as for bench rest shooting and adding a couple drops of lube, then I think you'll be set. So I def feel the need to thicken it up a bit. I've been thinking about adding some TufOil Additive It's alot thicker than STP and Prolong.
I just don't know if it will mix well or separate, so I will mix some up in my clear needle tip bottles and see what happens.

Anyways, just wanted to share.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I've had no need to thicken go juice. I apply it very lightly and have no migration or other issues. It works great.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Tried the Go-Juice and it's worked really well in my rifles. Haven't had to relube my AR in several range sessions so we'll see how that works.

But what cleaner are you guys using prior to Go-Juice? Used to use Fireclean for everything and now I need a dedicated cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tried the Go-Juice and it's worked really well in my rifles. Haven't had to relube my AR in several range sessions so we'll see how that works.

But what cleaner are you guys using prior to Go-Juice? Used to use Fireclean for everything and now I need a dedicated cleaner.
View Quote

Alcohol or gun-scrubber will remove the previous product from your rifle. Then just apply the ALG Go Juice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#38]
It's good stuff that I wouldn't hesitate to buy, but I still prefer my Slip EWL.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's good stuff that I wouldn't hesitate to buy, but I still prefer my Slip EWL.
View Quote

What about slip ewl performance have you found superior?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Hmm Amsoil makes damn good automotive oils...might have to check that out, didn't know they made any firearm specific.

These bio lubes all seem like crappie to me when it comes to protecting from corrosion and not degrading into some goo. Maybe ALG came up with something that finally works compared to the others. But until time has tested it, no thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's purely unscientific opinion, but it feels like it adheres/bonds better.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hmm Amsoil makes damn good automotive oils...might have to check that out, didn't know they made any firearm specific.

These bio lubes all seem like crappie to me when it comes to protecting from corrosion and not degrading into some goo. Maybe ALG came up with something that finally works compared to the others. But until time has tested it, no thanks.
View Quote

The corrosion testing I have seen places the ALG Go-Juice product well ahead of SLIP 2000 EWL. Time will tell about degrading into goo, but Bill Geissele did specifically address that in a statement at SHOT and has been testing it for over 2 years. The product that I have had for many months (not quite half a year) has yet to become the least bit sticky. It has not been out long enough to truly know, but so far, it has exceeded my expectations.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The corrosion testing I have seen places the ALG Go-Juice product well ahead of SLIP 2000 EWL. Time will tell about degrading into goo, but Bill Geissele did specifically address that in a statement at SHOT and has been testing it for over 2 years. The product that I have had for many months (not quite half a year) has yet to become the least bit sticky. It has not been out long enough to truly know, but so far, it has exceeded my expectations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I hope it is awesome stuff. Thought about putting some on a piece of mild steel and just sitting it in the weather to see how it takes the abuse?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Oh I hope it is awesome stuff. Thought about putting some on a piece of mild steel and just sitting it in the weather to see how it takes the abuse?
View Quote

Do it. I bet you are impressed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#45]
update, been using go-juice for 3 weeks shooting my beretta 92 and hi-point 45, worked great, and cleaned up easy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
update, been using go-juice for 3 weeks shooting my beretta 92 and hi-point 45, worked great, and cleaned up easy.
View Quote

I've had it on my rifles since I started this thread. Completely degreased and then applied go juice. So far it hasn't "hardened" like other bio based products. The place I always noticed the hardening was the safety area and bolt catch. I would have this green residue. It wasn't even sticky. It was like a crayon type of hard.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

While this may be sarcasm, etc. it's far from the truth. Slightly off the OP's topic...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got backing data?
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top