Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2016 2:35:50 PM EDT
So I have cleaned my rifle a few times since i put it together and shot it. My question is, how would I go about cleaning the gas tube and when is an appropriate time to clean it? I've put mayb 500 roudns through the rifle so far since I put it together and got it operational, but haven't cleaned the gas tube yet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't.

30-50k PSI of gas pressure will do more than you can.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't.

View Quote

Well that was easy enough
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Once in a while I will shoot a spritz of WD 40, or Safari Charllie's or some such from the breech end just for sh&ts and giggles thru the gas tube.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#4]
A wise man once said: "Don't put anything in the gas tube you don't expect to stay there..."
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Cleaning the gas tube is not required...ever.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You don't.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
You can actually clean the gas tube - Academy & Brownell's both sell gas tube cleaners - long pipe cleaners is all they are.  You won't get much out of there - but you will get some.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#8]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
As said, the super heated gas under something like 20,000 PSI coming down the tube keeps it clean.
Normal "maintenance" of the tube is to replace it when a new barrel is installed.

There's no liquid you can put in the tube that the hot incandescent gas won't burn, turning it in to a tar-like substance that might clog the tube.
The only thing that is known to give problems is one brand of Russian commercial ammo that's so dirty it can clog the tube.  Brown Bear???

Don't stick anything in the tube including the long pipe cleaners.  This won't do any real good and you ruin a real risk of getting something stuck in the tube.

The only part of the tube that should be cleaned is the outside-rear enlarged area that enters the gas key.
Per the GI manual use a brush, patch, and solvent or CLP to clean the outside.

In the military if you get caught putting ANYTHING in the gas tube, your Sargent will stick something up YOUR gas tube.
The correct procedure with a gas tube problem is to just replace it.
Tubes are cheap and easy to replace.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As said, the super heated gas under something like 20,000 PSI coming down the tube keeps it clean.
Normal "maintenance" of the tube is to replace it when a new barrel is installed.

There's no liquid you can put in the tube that the hot incandescent gas won't burn, turning it in to a tar-like substance that might clog the tube.
The only thing that is known to give problems is one brand of Russian commercial ammo that's so dirty it can clog the tube.  Brown Bear???

Don't stick anything in the tube including the long pipe cleaners.  This won't do any real good and you ruin a real risk of getting something stuck in the tube.

The only part of the tube that should be cleaned is the outside-rear enlarged area that enters the gas key.
Per the GI manual use a brush, patch, and solvent or CLP to clean the outside.

In the military if you get caught putting ANYTHING in the gas tube, your Sargent will stick something up YOUR gas tube.
View Quote

The maximum pressure in the gas tube is only 3000 psi.  That diameter stainless steel tubing is only rated to 10,500 psi at room temperature, multiple by .69 to find the pressure rating at 1000 F.

The maximum temperature is about 4000 F.

The maximum velocity is around 4000-4500 fps.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#11]
It is rare, but gas tubes can stop up.
From the Lucky Gunner test it would appear Brown Bear has the capability.
AFAIK it is caused by a powder formulation problem.
So the reality is the pressure is not enough in and of itself to keep the tube clean.

Brownell’s has some long pipe cleaners for cleaning gas tubes.
Given the cost of a new gas tube my default action would be replacement.
I suspect that it would be hard to clean a tube by the time a person knew he had a problem.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  In the military if you get caught putting ANYTHING in the gas tube, your Sargent will stick something up YOUR gas tube.
View Quote

Given the only times I've ever cleaned the gas tube, it was on my issue M4, your statement does not seem to be correct.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is rare, but gas tubes can stop up.
From the Lucky Gunner test it would appear Brown Bear has the capability.
AFAIK it is caused by a powder formulation problem.
So the reality is the pressure is not enough in and of itself to keep the tube clean.

Brownell’s has some long pipe cleaners for cleaning gas tubes.
Given the cost of a new gas tube my default action would be replacement.
I suspect that it would be hard to clean a tube by the time a person knew he had a problem.
View Quote

I've seen one that was partially stopped up.  Took a couple mins to replace.  Why clean it when you can put a new one on for a few bucks?  You don't even need any special tools you can't get at a local hardware store (hammer and the right size punch)
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Special Gas Tube Squeegee
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#15]
as long as you are not using it as a 22 lr upper no cleaning is needed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Only when I was shooting corrosive Czech 7.62 ball. I would stick a piece of vinyl tubing over the gas tube and flush with Ballistol mixed with water. Follow up with a long pipe cleaner. Those 2 cases of Czech ball are gone now though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
as long as you are not using it as a 22 lr upper no cleaning is needed.
View Quote

Reason #1 why I'd recommend a dedicated upper that doesn't even have a gas tube.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember when I was new to ARs and I bought into the "gas tube needs cleaning"  advice and bought a pack of gas tube cleaners. I think I've used one in all these years.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 2:44:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't.  Just replace it they are a few bucks and require minimal skill to change.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You don't.

View Quote

FPNI.  I've never cleaned one. Heard to many stories about stuff getting stuck in there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

FPNI.  I've never cleaned one. Heard to many stories about stuff getting stuck in there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  You don't.

Given that hardly anyone ever cleans one, how many stories about getting stuff stuck in there can there be?  And how hard can stuff get stick in there if 30-50k PSI are going to blow it right back out?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Given that hardly anyone ever cleans one, how many stories about getting stuff stuck in there can there be?  And how hard can stuff get stick in there if 30-50k PSI are going to blow it right back out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard about pipe cleans and q tips getting stuck. I don't know what happened when people shot the rifle while still having an obstruction.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Never. As said, the gas pressure will blow it out (unless you have an obstruction like whatever you TRIED clean it with such as a pipe cleaner). If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy... spray some non chlorinated brake cleaner down it. Won't make any difference, but if you are obsessed with ridding carbon, that's an option.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Once in a while I will shoot a spritz of WD 40, or Safari Charllie's or some such from the breech end just for sh&ts and giggles thru the gas tube.
View Quote

Wasting your time and money.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've heard about pipe cleans and q tips getting stuck. I don't know what happened when people shot the rifle while still having an obstruction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With no gas to get to the gas key, the rifle would turn into a single shot.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You don't.

View Quote

The pressure in the gas tube is nowhere near that high.

More like 3000 psi.

Where do people get 50,000 psi for gas tube pressure?  The port pressure for a carbine length gas system is only around 15,000 psi, then it is regulated down considerably by the restriction of the gas port....
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Sold my Dad his first AR  about 6 months ago. He loves looking on CTD and other sites for parts and stuff for it. One day I stopped at his place and he told me he bought me some stuff. Proudly handed me a bag full of long pipe cleaners and one of those crappy brass catcher. So hard to keep a straight face.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I  am on the side that thinks anything that I might spray into the tube might stick the crud together or leave some residude behind.
If I ever manage to clog one up I will then replace the tube with one of my spares. Has not happened yet and I shoot lots of 22lr in my conversions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Never.
With nothing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#31]
If you are swapping out a barrel and want to re-use the gas tube again, I think an ultrasonic cleaner would be just the ticket.

I would not worry too much in between barrel swaps.

B
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#32]
The only time that I have ever had to worry about cleaning the gas tube on any of my issue M16 rifles was with extended use of blanks everyday during long field exercises. Prolonged use of military issue blanks can/will cause problems.

I have used military issue .22lr kits on a few occasions while in the Army and didn't experience any problems.

I see no need to clean the gas tube unless you shoot a great amount of blanks or .22lr through your rifle.  
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top