Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2016 8:28:37 PM EDT
I've read a lot of posts about it and it's been very vague. What will happen if I just clean my Ar-15 with CLP and Lube it?  I've seen people talking about throwing an AK-47 in a tub with water to get rid of the salts-Can I do the same with an AR? Will my Ar-15 rust if I pour water in it to clean the salts out? Or does it do absolutely nothing after I lube it back up. Thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
CLP doesn't get rid of corrosive salts. If you shoot corrosive ammo, a cleaner for black powder is far superior, even soap and water works better then a oil based cleaner.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are you finding corrosive ammunition to fire in your AR15?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

A 5.45 upper.

I used soap and water then dried and oiled it
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

A friend? Why does it matter, It's good ammunition no sense in throwing it away.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A 5.45 upper.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 5.45 upper.

I do not have a 5.45 upper, Only 556 uppers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I remove my upper (5.45) and pull the nozzle out from the sink and run water down the barrel and gas tube.  Then I take a heat gun and get it nice and hot.  Then use a straw to squirt a bit of CLP down the gas tube, squirt a bit down the barrel....  compressed air to blow the excess out of the tube and run a bore snake through the barrel.

Rinse out the lower and blow it out, then heat it up to dry it.  Clean and lube it.

Rinse the BCG real well, dunk it in carbon cutter, then clean it, heat it dry and lube it.

When I start shooting it through my can I will rinse it, too.  Blow it out and then heat it to 250 or so to boil water out of it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I just use hot soapy water to clean my M53 barrel after firing corrosive 8mm.  Works great and in the comfort of my own kitchen sink.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I do use corrosive ammo built 1935 for both of my Mausers K98 chambered 7.65
Till now for about 5 years. Barrels are still shiny and good and I still compete with those. 250 to 300 shoots a year.
How do I clean? Inmediatelly after shooting with ballistol or regular hopes. Brush. Ballistol or hopes again and swipe as in every gun.

Some other friends use gasoline and others use water with soap. I have not noticed any difference between thevthree methods. But cleaning hours or a day later has damaged tje barrel from some friends.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot corrosive ammo in some mil surp guns.

My process is simple. I heat a tea kettle not all the way to boiling. Just hotter than the tap. I pour it down the barrel with the bolt shut and then again with it open.

I let it drip out then I take it to the cleaning bench and clean with Hoppe's and used Ballistol to lube it. My stuff looks the same as when I got them.

Very simple.

With a semi-auto don't forget to clean the gas tube or piston.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#10]
The deal with corrosive ammo is that anywhere that gas or powder residue touches will have corrosive salts deposited.  These will attract moisture and cause rust.  The only way to remove these corrosive salts is to dissolve them in water and flush them away.

There's plenty of different methods and cleaning products out there, but as long as you use something water based to flush away the corrosive salts from anywhere where gas or powder residue is deposited, you'll be fine.  Just remember that by introducing water based products to the weapon, you're running the risk of causing rust from the water, unless you completely dry all metal (and preferably lightly oil as well).
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The deal with corrosive ammo is that anywhere that gas or powder residue touches will have corrosive salts deposited.  These will attract moisture and cause rust.  The only way to remove these corrosive salts is to dissolve them in water and flush them away.

There's plenty of different methods and cleaning products out there, but as long as you use something water based to flush away the corrosive salts from anywhere where gas or powder residue is deposited, you'll be fine.  Just remember that by introducing water based products to the weapon, you're running the risk of causing rust from the water, unless you completely dry all metal (and preferably lightly oil as well).
View Quote

The reason for hot water is it helps evaporate the residual water.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A friend? Why does it matter, It's good ammunition no sense in throwing it away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was asking because no one that is known makes corrosive 5.56 ammo.  Corrosive ammo is a thing of the past. What brand is it?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Have never heard of  corrosive 5.56 ammo.

Very curious as to where it came from.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He was asking because no one that is known makes corrosive 5.56 ammo.  Corrosive ammo is a thing of the past. What brand is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a brand per say, It's ammo that got damp and corroded lol. I never knew that it was rare to find that?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I know that hot water and an ammonia based cleaner are what is recommended for mosin nagant cleaning after chooting old surplus ammo.  So maybe some windex and a hot rinse.

ETA: link to Mosin Nagant cleaning
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's not a brand per say, It's ammo that got damp and corroded lol. I never knew that it was rare to find that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  He was asking because no one that is known makes corrosive 5.56 ammo.  Corrosive ammo is a thing of the past. What brand is it?

ROFL.  That's not corrosive ammo.  That's corroded ammo.  It's just ugly brass.  No need for any special cleaning regimen.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Just shower with it.

Dry.

Re-lube.

Done.

The rifle, not you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ROFL.  That's not corrosive ammo.  That's corroded ammo.  It's just ugly brass.  No need for any special cleaning regimen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  He was asking because no one that is known makes corrosive 5.56 ammo.  Corrosive ammo is a thing of the past. What brand is it?

This.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I use boiling water. It washes away the corrosive salts and heats the upper so that the water dries up.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hilarious!
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hilarious!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hilarious!

Let's cut him some slack. He has not been on here long and doesn't understand that cursive ammo refers to OLD ammo where the primers used chemicals that when burned deposited corrosive salts in the barrel..... OP 5.56 came long after the use of corrosive primers. As for what to do with the old ammo you have it depends on how bad it is and how it spent it's life. Extreme corrosion of the brass can cause a case failure and if the ammo was bounced around year after year in the bed box of your truck for example it can change the grain size of the powder and POTENTIALLY cause an over pressure in the chamber among a few other possible issues.

How much of it do you have? Any photos of its condition?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In before the "why did my AR blow up?" Kaboom!
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#24]

This is what you will need in order to clean corrosive salts from your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#25]
MPro-7 will clean corrosive salts.  It is an excellent cleaner.  Give it a shot.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Edit:

Not GD

Sorry
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  Corroded ammo.
View Quote

This isn't GD.  OP didn't know what the term meant, as corrosive primers hadn't been loaded in commercial ammo in this country for decades.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Maybe take a bronze brush to it to clean it up IF you think it''s worth the time.  You could have problems from cases getting jammed.  Might break an extractor.  Worst case (no pun intended) scenario, you could get a split case and a kaboom.

Personally, I'd dispose of it, but not through the muzzle.

ETA - if you decide to clean it up, don't use any chemicals or oils on it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Let's cut him some slack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hilarious!

Let's cut him some slack.

I'm not jumping on the OP at all.  The way the thread went is just plain funny!

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:59:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This isn't GD.  OP didn't know what the term meant, as corrosive primers hadn't been loaded in commercial ammo in this country for decades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Corroded ammo.

Thanks for setting me straight backbencher....truly.

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Wow it's a nearly Identical word, and I have never heard anyone explain that there was a difference between corroded and corrosive, So I took it to being any ammo that had green shit all over the brass. Thanks for clarifying without criticizing me like others for something that sounded the same. I have alot of it that's why It's good for range ammo.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wow it's a nearly Identical word, and I have never heard anyone explain that there was a difference between corroded and corrosive, So I took it to being any ammo that had green shit all over the brass. Thanks for clarifying without criticizing me like others for something that sounded the same. I have alot of it that's why It's good for range ammo.
View Quote

Corroded ammo can be tumbled clean. If it is more than just some tarnish you may want to considered scrapping it.

If you do not have a tumbler you could just hit the cases with some steel wool and wipe them with a rag. You do not need to polish them just get the loose stuff off.

As for cleaning the gun you may want to spend a little extra time cleaning the chamber but nothing much to worry about.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I shoot corrosive in bolt guns

As said I use boiling water to dissolve salts, then clean as normal

I bought a long necked funnel, heated it to make a bend in it.  I can put the end of the funnel in the chamber and pour the water down the barrel.

ETA: never mind  

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ballistol.jpg

View Quote
^

Mix some with water in a spray bottle (I do a 50/50 mix) and hose her down. The water Ballistol mix will flush/neutralize  the corrosive salts away. The water will evaporate leaving lube behind.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ballistol.jpg

View Quote

Came here to post this. Not only will you dissolve the corrosive salts, you will also clean carbon and copper. 4 in 1.

(It does not dissolve copper and lead as well as Hoppes 9) but it's a jack of all trades lube/cleaner/corrosive salts dissolver/protectant
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top