Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2016 12:49:27 PM EDT
I have never cleaned the lower of my AR other than basically wiping down with CLP the trigger area. How necessary is it? Almost every video on youtube focuses mainly on cleaning the upper. Im assuming the spring in the lower should be wiped with CLP from time to time. Sorry for the noob question.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I clean it nearly every time I clean the rifle. Usually just spray some cleaner in there, blow it out with compressed air, and then relube it.

The spring should be cleaned and put back in dry.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#2]
My lower remains mostly clean. Most of the times hammer has some dirt on it.
I clean it evey time I clean the gun, but it might be more for lubbing than for cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
never.  maybe wipe the hammer off a little.  i just drop a little oil on the springs once in a while, and add a little grease to sear.  But i dont go scrubbing in there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless it gets muddy, or goes for a swim, never.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
never.  maybe wipe the hammer off a little.  i just drop a little oil on the springs once in a while, and add a little grease to sear.  But i dont go scrubbing in there.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a little Lube after a CLP/wipe down
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Shooting my 300BLK SBR suppressed makes a mess in the lower. I blow it out with compressed air and make sure there is lube on any metal-to-metal contact surfaces.

Normal applications shouldn't need much other than making sure it's lightly lubed where it needs to be.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I clean it nearly every time I clean the rifle. Usually just spray some cleaner in there, blow it out with compressed air, and then relube it.

View Quote

Yep me too,compressed air/blowgun is the most useful tool
in my shop.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

in my shop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

in my shop.

Hose it out with cleaner.

Blow it out with compressed air.

Spray it with lube and blow it out again.

Leaves a light coat of rust prevent and lube.

Wipe the outside with some rags.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#10]
every time I take the rifle apart I swab the lower out with a Q-tip and oil the areas that need it. I only take the recoil spring out if the gun gets wet.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Air compressor works wonders.  
But come to think of it, don't know if ive ever bothered with my lower
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:07:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Every time. Dirt and carbon scratch and wear things. I like taking care of my guns. I take care of things i have money in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Every time. Dirt and carbon scratch and wear things. I like taking care of my guns. I take care of things i have money in.
View Quote

Me too. I usually spray brake clean and blow out with compressed air followed by some grease and oil on the critical parts.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:08:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I wipe it out with a cloth soaked in CLP every time I clean my gun.

When things start to look gritty, I remove the FCG and thoroughly clean it, and wipe out the accessible parts of the lower.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got about 1K rounds through my 80%er so far. The hammer gets some crud on it. I sprayed it out with brake cleaner just because and re-lubed about six months ago.  I took it all apart last night to install my new MBT and there was literally nothing in there to clean.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I wipe off and oil the face of the hammer but that's about it.

IMO unless you're shooting suppressed it's not really needed.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top