Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2016 1:42:39 AM EDT
anyone have any experience with either of these?  i am looking for an all around tool that i can throw in my range bag.  i want it to be able to do simple maintenance and adjusting at the range, competitions or on hunting trips.

I like the Gerber being small and MLOK compatible, but i don't see the need for a buffer tube wrench or A2 flash hider wrench.

i think the Real Avid has more attachments which make it more versatile, but is it MLOK compatible?

OR should I be looking at something else?  or should I skip a multi tool and just carry some tools in a SiCo suppressor pouch?

Opinions?
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The Real AVID is a rather large unit. It is about 6" long and about 1.25x1.25" .

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, that's kind of a downfall but since I won't be carrying it in a pocket, I think it'll be ok. Who knows, maybe I'll buy both... you know, the arfcom way and all..
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
It comes with a belt case that can be attached to MOLLE as well
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It comes with a belt case that can be attached to MOLLE as well
View Quote

yea i saw that as well.  i have a Drago rifle case that i would attach it to.  i'm really leaning towards the Real Avid tool, but I will go to Cabela's this weekend and see if i can handle one before making a decision.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#5]
loose tools (hammer squib rod, allen keys, knife) that I would need and a gerber multi tool with attachments.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Real AVID is a rather large unit. It is about 6" long and about 1.25x1.25" .

View Quote

Yes. It would be MUCH better if, instead of being ONE piece, it were TWO pieces that BOTH folded into the handle. I'm not sure why they didn't, there's really no advantage to it being one piece and always having half (but never all) of it inside the handle. They could just make it like a two function (tool) simple lockback. Hell, I'd pay 2x (maybe even 3x) the price for it then. As is, it's useless except for home or bag use.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 3:31:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yea, that's kind of a downfall but since I won't be carrying it in a pocket, I think it'll be ok. Who knows, maybe I'll buy both... you know, the arfcom way and all..
View Quote

Multiple multi tools?

Could start a new trend
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
i ended up buying the Real Avid tool.  yes its bulky, but it will stay on my range bag.  i fooled around with it a bit and seems good.  i can't really say pros/cons since i just go it and haven't really used it, but seems GTG.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Be careful with the hooked blade. It is sharp. Don't ask how I know this.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top