Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/23/2016 1:23:49 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Just wondering what the 2016 verdict is on the AR bolt tools? I came across a few older threads comparing the BONE to the CATM4 but was wondering if something new came out that reigns supreme, or which one of the previously mentioned tools does the better job?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only used the BONE tool and I can't say it's anything special.  The carbon on the bolt end past the gas rings more easily comes off with steel wool than with the BONE tool.  Getting crap out of the carrier recess is impossible.  THe BONE tool only clears part of the area but does nothing to get to the carrier finish itself.  I still use a small flathead screwdriver.  Cleaning the firing pin with the bone tool is a joke as its near impossible to get a meaningful grip on the pin when trying to twist it in the hole to remove carbon...again, steel wool prevails.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've only used the BONE tool and I can't say it's anything special.  The carbon on the bolt end past the gas rings more easily comes off with steel wool than with the BONE tool.  Getting crap out of the carrier recess is impossible.  THe BONE tool only clears part of the area but does nothing to get to the carrier finish itself.  I still use a small flathead screwdriver.  Cleaning the firing pin with the bone tool is a joke as its near impossible to get a meaningful grip on the pin when trying to twist it in the hole to remove carbon...again, steel wool prevails.
View Quote

Thanks for your input. Ill try the steel wool / small flat head this evening.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both, I prefer the Cat tool myself, seems to get the carbon off the front of the bolt better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
This works well and the price is right.

Real Avid
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:55:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Wooden manicure sticks for inside my BCG's(where tail of bolt sits). Some q tips. Bronze brush for firing pin and bolt tail. Done.
No need for anything special.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wooden manicure sticks for inside my BCG's(where tail of bolt sits). Some q tips. Bronze brush for firing pin and bolt tail. Done.
No need for anything special.
View Quote

I actually find myself doing the same, while I have those tools mentioned ealier, sometimes just old fashion items work the best.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Swiss Army Rally Knife has worked well enough for decades and it was free.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Wasn't really too impressed with the BONE tool. Did decent inside the bolt carrier but still had to touch it up after so it didn't really save much time over the normal methods.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Real Avid
View Quote

+1
Works like a champ.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1
Works like a champ.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real Avid

+1
Works like a champ.

I went this route and ordered one the other day. It looks like it will be a helpful tool even if it does not fully do the job
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got one of these, works fine...

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I went this route and ordered one the other day. It looks like it will be a helpful tool even if it does not fully do the job
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real Avid

+1
Works like a champ.

Good choice. It gets in more places than any other simple tool mentioned in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good choice. It gets in more places than any other simple tool mentioned in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real Avid

+1
Works like a champ.

Thanks for suggesting it. I would have never known it existed otherwise
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real Avid

+1
Works like a champ.

I have the bone tool that came in one of my Otis cleaning kits. I prefer the real avid tool. That thing is better than most of the competition because it does everything the competitor does and more.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Real Avid
View Quote

I like this tool as well. However, I think they should have designed it as two separate pieces that fold into the housing (instead of the ONE piece that flips sides). As is, there is always one side still sticking out, thus making it not very "pack" friendly. If they had gone with two separate pieces that fold into the housing... it would not only be "pack" friendly, it would also probably fit inside grip storage. They really short changed themselves here. It would be SO much more convenient if it folded into itself. None the less, it works and it's cheap. I haven't used it much, as I clean often, so carbon wipes off without it. I can't see spending more for something else, however.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top